Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Q: Driver-adaptive learning algorithm 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q: Driver-adaptive learning algorithm 5AT

Could someone give the complete lowdown on how this works?

1. How many miles does it take to learn? (My salesman stated 2500, but I do not have the most confidence in him. He made comments that yeah this is a Nissan over seas, but Ininiti gets the best parts out of the parts bin )

2. Are there specific settings, and you just fall in to one? Or, is it truely driver specific?

3. What is the algorithm from the dealer?

4. Anything else you have to offer would be nice....

I've spent my last two days trolling this and other forums, but have been unable to find a specific thread.

Oh yeah.... If this has been discussed previously in great detail, please post the link.

Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by shredX; 03-14-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Primarilly the TCU modifies shift pressure and the light load shift vs speed vs TPS [load] tables................to try to make light load shifts transparent.

If every shift is at full throttle, it will increase just before and just after shift pressure to try to minimize wear.

Use a Consult to monitor the shift times in hundreths of a second increments.

As the tranny wears the leakage around accumulators/seals increases and the time to shift increases so all the TCU can do is increase the pressure to try to somewhat compensate.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:32 PM
^ Uhhh. That's a bit over my head.

I'm just trying to see how my driving affects the learning alg. & for how long. Is it a continuous process or a specific time then it's set.

I'll drive it hard until I achieve a sport setting....but also want to be easy on her during daily commutes.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what he is saying is that it is a continuous monitoring process. If you begin to drive it at WOT for more than a few instances, it will adapt by increasing the pressure on the clutch plates to minimize slip and wear. It will do this as long as you give it WOT frequently. As you go back to a lazy commute mode, it will reduce pressure to allow some slip to make the shifts smoother and less "jerky". So, in short, driving it hard will not permanently convert it to "sport shift" mode. If you want a permanent shift alteration, you will have to get a valvebody upgrade etc., or have someone who really knows what they are doing to reprogram the TCU. Not recommended.

The biggest complaint I have with my 5AT is not with the tranny, but the engine ECU trimming timing at the shift points. It may prolong the life of the unit, but it sure is noticable. I think Nissan could have been a little more "subtle" with that since the unit is behind the 4.5 V8 in the 4000+ lb Q45. It is very understressed in a G35.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
^ oooohhhh. So my salesman was completely full of ****. Not supprised. He was ok, but I researched the car & prob knew more than him. He was reaching to try and answer my more technical questions.

So, there is no set learning period. Fine. I can go back to baby'ing her during the week, and flogging it in the mountains on the weekends.