Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Dealer ordered me a new tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Dealer ordered me a new tranny

I took my sedan in for the 3750 service and to see what they could do about some tranny problems.

Every once in a while during a max accelleration run out of 1st and into 2nd, I'd get a nasty crunch, but it's been really rare. Bigger problem is wierd, allot of the time if I was going up the gears and say while in 3rd, decided to go directly to 6th cause I was done accelerating,....crunch into 6th. It starting doing it all the time into 6th if I had bypassed 5th. I mean even on the drive to the dealer, I had went to 4th floored it to pass a semi, put it into neutral and coasted for a few seconds and when I went to 6th, crunch. They were able to duplicate the problem and they ordered the tranny, 7 to 10 day's to arrive from japan. He kinda hinted that when they called the factory for authorization that the new tranny had some design changes, don't know what to make of that.

I'm thinking I might want to save a ton of install money and buy the JWT flywheel and have them install it at the same time.

BTW, they noticed the crawford and of course the Injen. I thanked the service writter for not giving me a hard time about them. He said that he notied the welds on the pleneum and knew something was going on, but since the crawford and Injen install's were so clean, they didn't matter to him. I replied that I didn't think he would of been able to say I was making more power than a coupe anyhow. His responce, "I think your making more power than the coupe". I gave a surprised, "ya think so"? I doubt that, but nice complement anyhow.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 AM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dealer ordered me a new tranny

cool man, glad to hear that you have such a cool service rep. good luck w/ the new tranny,
by the way, when was your car built/when did it arrive
Mine came here end of April off the ship, so i am wondering if i have the new redesigned tranny or not, 6,500 miles on mine and no grinding.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 AM

I just checked my builder's plate 12/02 is my build date.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-13-2003, 11:59 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

wow you have an old car..... LOL mine was built in March and has double the # of miles hehe you must really baby yours [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Well good luck w/ the new tranny dude. Is there a way you can ask them when this redesigned tranny began to be installed at the factory?

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-14-2003, 12:05 PM

I need to talk to the service advicer again to pin down how much extra to install a Nismo flywheel (I ruled out the JWT flywheel). I'll try to quiz him again on what he ment on his comments and if he know's when any redesign took place.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-14-2003, 01:50 PM

Sounds like a bad syncromesh. Nice to know the dealer didn't give you a hard time on it.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Ok, I pinned down the service writter whom gave me the impression that their had been a redesign of the manuel tranny at some point. He said that's not the case, that he has no knowledge of such a thing. Glad I specifiacally asked him, but I'm disappointed in his answer never the less. Also they refused to install a new Nismo flywheel at the same time, oh well I tried.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 PM

Just curious as to why they would refuse to put on a nismo flywheel? I would think they would charge you something for install but to refuse is strange. I have never taken any car I have owned to shop for work, so I am a little uneducated.

Old 09-20-2003, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I thought it was strange to and I called them on it. They said, they can't take the risk of the factory seeing other non warranty work being done. Might make it look like the transmission problems were a ruse to get a cheap flywheel install. I was on the fence on paying for the Nismo flywheel anyhow ($468). Their non willingness, make my decision for me, which I'm ok with,.....I guess (smirk)

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-20-2003, 08:49 PM

What is it with Nissan trannies? I had to have the 5 speed on my 1990 300ZX TT replaced under warranty also. This was some years ago but... I was lucky enough to have them install a new RPS Turbo clutch for me at the same time. I think they charged me a nominal fee to surface the flywheel and that was it. After they replaced the tranny, I guess they test drove it and discovered one of the driveshafts was noisy. They proceeded to order both shafts and replaced them as well too. Man, the good old days when customer service meant something......

Old 09-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which dealership did you take it to Jim? And who was your service advisor?

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6M/T
Premium - Navi - Aero - Trunk Mat

Old 09-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, at least these aren't the good'ol Acura trannies...

How long was the order/install process for your tranny? I have a feeling mine's about to go kerplunk... I'm in the 5AT, and when I accellerate from a roll, it revs to ~2.3k and slowly slips into gear. When I'm slowing to a stop, the shift down into first is very pronounced... If I slow for a light that's red, then slowly depress the gas pedal, it doesn't catch right away, as if it's hunting for a gear. I'm also getting that 'ol "burning tranny" smell when I park it at night; I had some underbody work done, and initially thought it was the shipping coating burning off, but it has persisted. I've called for an appointment, so it's going in regardless. How's the process been for you?

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 09-21-2003, 06:18 PM

I was told that the job was at least a one day job. I dropped the car off to them at 1pm and they called me at 3:30pm the next day telling me it was done. I had a loaner G35 sedan, so I wasn't concerned on how long they took honestly, but I do hope I answered your question. BTW, does sound like your tranny is fried to me at least.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's a gonner. I called them and was told that Wed. would be the first available loaner... I'll be in Vegas during that time, so I made an appointment for next Monday (a week from tomorrow). After driving last night, though, I'm quite concerned... I'm going to take it in tomorrow, and just pick up a loaner next Monday. I can always drive one of my other babies, but I just want to make sure I've got a G to fart around in if it takes too long...

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint