Clicking axle fixed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
cool. i figured it was something i would figure out when actually doing it, but just reading it i was confused. THANKS!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
nice thanks

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by viceversa
^you would remove the center cap from the wheel and from there would have access to the nut while the wheel is on. I was able to remove the nut from just using the e-brake and did not have to put the wheels back on.
Me too. Just make sure to place the breaker bar where you're pushing it straight down in order to break it loose. That will keep you from rocking it off the jack stands.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
my clicking is not from a stop, but when i am driving at a constant speed down the road

Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'm having that same issue and am stumped. It's coming from the rear driver's side and I have taken apart the brakes, re-greased the axle, checked the cotter pin at the outside end of the axle, and even checked my centercap on that rim thinking it might be the issue. The clicking increases with speed, and stops when I apply the brakes. I've had it in a shop and they couldn't find the issue as well as my efforts with all of the above trying to isolate the problem. I'm left to assume it's the axle itself as I bought a used one about 6 months ago with 32K miles. The thing that confuses me is if it's an axle issue why the noise goes away when I brake. I'm thinking the CV joint in the boot is going dry, but the boot has no rips and isn't leaking grease anywhere. That's why I had to replace that side in the first place.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
New '06 sedan owner here.
I just recently purchased the car and of course - now noticed the clicking from rear axle. It is also noticeable when turning right (though when turning its more of a scratching type of noise).

Anyways - I plan on doing it this weekend. I read the great write up on my350z.com forum, but so far I was not able to find required new side flange bolts/washers/nuts/pin for a sedan. They only seem to be available for 350Z.
Since these cars are very similar in so many aspects, will the 350Z parts work?

Thanks,
Sobek

Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Yep, they're exactly the same.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Just re-use your current bolts, nuts, and washers.. I've never had any problems after removing axles while changing wheel bearings.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the answer! I actually cancelled my order for the bolts.
Some guys on the 350Z forum recommend a method that includes only removing axle bolt and pushing it as far in as possible. This should open enough space to clean and grease contact area.

As a side note.... This is my first serious car (power wise) and I freaking love it! Especially in the rain.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I put my snow tires on my car last Saturday (Dec 10th), and today I noticed the clicking sound when I turn left. I'm certain they're not related, but it's winter and I don't have a garage, so I'm going to let the dealer take care of it. I've got a couple of things they can fix, like the very small oil leak in the front of the engine (I think it's the timing chain cover). Luckily it's all covered by the CPO.

How long can I continue to drive with the clicking? The closest dealer is 150 miles away, but I'll be down there next Friday, so I'd rather wait until then to drop it off.

The only things I'm worried about is whether the oil leak will be inaccurately blamed on my MD spacer, and what kind of tires will be on the loaner. As I said, it's winter, and all seasons just don't cut it around here.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
It's all good. Got an appointment on the 23rd, it's OK to drive on until then, and they don't care that I have a plenum spacer. Plus I'm getting a G37x loaner. I asked for an FX50 or an M56x, but their answer was a G37x. That's OK, I've been wanting to check out the new body and new engine anyway.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Your good bro I drove years with the clicking. Took the axles out cleaned and greased them up several months ago and still no clicking

Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 PM
It's not an axle clicking, it was a piece of stiff wire I must have picked up from the road that got partially tangled around the suspension. At first it only clicked when I turned left, but then started doing it all the time in rhythm with the speed I was going. Popped off the wheel, pulled it out, and the sound went away.

I still might take it in to the dealer. I've got that slight oil leak from the front of the engine, and I can have them go over several TSB's, including checking the valve covers for oil leaks. I may even try to get them to replace my lower engine cover under warranty. It's not my fault they rusted because Infiniti didn't use stainless steel bolts and clips. The timing is just about perfect too. I'll be down there anyway, and they're closed until Tuesday the 27th, so I'll get to drive the G37x loaner for at least 5 days, including several longer trips around Michigan. I've been wanting to drive one anyway. Plus I'm off the week between Xmas and New Years, so I can return it whenever my car is ready.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So just to be clear and potentially close this thread out because the step by step on my350z exists already and with all the comments clarifying any of the misc little stuff that wasn't explicitly photographed or presented in video form in that step by step - really, it's pretty well covered.

But.

Everyone is doing this and not once anywhere (including in the TSB) has anyone said what the adverse effect on the parts involved is supposed to be.

So - what EXACTLY happens to the Axle splines, Cap Bolt, Connecting Bolts, Cotter Pins or anything else related if absolutely NOTHING is ever done to fix the little "tink" noise.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clicking axle fixed!