DIY: Spark plug change

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I did the spark plug change yesterday for my '03.5 sedan (it was at 71K miles). My gut feeling was right: these plugs should really needed to be replaced before 100K miles; the threads were corroded and slightly oil-soaked on a couple of them, esp. from coil pack #6. Already got the valve cover replaced under warranty for the driver side. The entire spark plug job took me 2.5 hours, with the driver side 40 minutes, the passenger side a little over an hour (with the challenge of weaving through the wirings and brackets in a tight space), and the last half hour figuring out why the engine kept dying after start-up (came to find out I forgot to put the PVC tubing back into place... doh!)

Anyway, the instructions in the 1st page of this thread as well as bythabay's DIY video helped me out greatly, and glad I saved myself some $$$ doing another important DIY task. Next up on the list: Bleeding the brakes

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
I did the spark plug change yesterday for my '03.5 sedan (it was at 71K miles). My gut feeling was right: these plugs should really needed to be replaced before 100K miles; the threads were corroded and slightly oil-soaked on a couple of them, esp. from coil pack #6. Already got the valve cover replaced under warranty for the driver side. The entire spark plug job took me 2.5 hours, with the driver side 40 minutes, the passenger side a little over an hour (with the challenge of weaving through the wirings and brackets in a tight space), and the last half hour figuring out why the engine kept dying after start-up (came to find out I forgot to put the PVC tubing back into place... doh!)

Anyway, the instructions in the 1st page of this thread as well as bythabay's DIY video helped me out greatly, and glad I saved myself some $$$ doing another important DIY task. Next up on the list: Bleeding the brakes
Good to hear. You mean you saved yourself a lot of $$$ doing it yourself. You saved a few hundred dollars in my book.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapped plugs today and went with the NGK 4469's and saw a little oil on the threads...thought the oil problem was on the rev up motors...I have the 5AT.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Glad the writeup helped a bunch of people up.

I have an 03 5AT and have a VERY leaky gasket at the #3 plug.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up!

I'm at 41k miles....I shouldn't even bother with changing my plugs right now right?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guyz, I did the spark plug change today and had a bad out come. I followed every instruction and watched the videos. After removing a spark plug I replaced it with NGK laser platinum plugs.

I reinstalled everything back to how it was then I went to install SxExCx grounding kit and change my oil. After finishing I rechecked my work and when I started my car it didn't want to crank over.

It turns on like it wants to crank over but it doesn't. Do you guyz have any solutions or what I could check?

Last edited by DeMoN5533; 10-18-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Woah, that's not good. Sorry to hear that. Did you check to make sure all coil packs are fully on and all plugs/hoses all in place?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Woah, that's not good. Sorry to hear that. Did you check to make sure all coil packs are fully on and all plugs/hoses all in place?
Yea I checked and rechecked. Besides myself I had a few other mechanics take a look at it and they still couldn't come up with anything. Then one person said something could be wrong with the chip to the key.

So I took it to the Nissian since the nearest Infiniti dealership is more the 2 hours away. They diagnosed it and said my car was in lock mode because my car didn't recognized the key I always use.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
i changed my spark plugs

at 67k glad i dint see no oil but neways i got it setup n everything went a+ ok but as i started the engine it said service engine soon im guessing it needs to be reset since they all got disconnect well apreciate if yall have anything thankz

Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought some Bosch Platinum +4 plugs.

Anyone against these plugs or will they be okay? They have a 5yr warranty so I think they should be okay - though I saw someone say earlier not to use platinum +2

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen numerous posts about avoiding Bosch plugs!

I know I will when it comes to replacing... maybe they are fine, but why take chances on something like spark plugs.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by DeMoN5533
Yea I checked and rechecked. Besides myself I had a few other mechanics take a look at it and they still couldn't come up with anything. Then one person said something could be wrong with the chip to the key.

So I took it to the Nissian since the nearest Infiniti dealership is more the 2 hours away. They diagnosed it and said my car was in lock mode because my car didn't recognized the key I always use.
Weird. So what was the outcome, did they reprogram it or are you able to get a new key?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Weird. So what was the outcome, did they reprogram it or are you able to get a new key?
Well I just got back from Nissian and they were not able to reprogram the car (unlock it). They told me when its in lock down mode the fuel system shut off. So the only advice they gave me was take the 2 and a half our drive to the nearest Infiniti dealership.

So I reserved a trailer to tow it down their tomorrow, its going on 4 days without driving my car and I am getting impatient. I got a copy of the self diagnostic test and it says I have an error code of [P1610]. Life in the G world!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Well I just got back from Nissian and they were not able to reprogram my car (unlock it). They told me when its in lock mode the fuel system shut off as a safety feature.

The only advice they gave me was take the 2 and a half hour drive to the nearest Infiniti dealership. So I just reserved a trailor for tomorrow so I can take my car in.

Its going on 4 days without driving my car and I am getting really impatient. Life in the G world!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought some NGK Iridium IX's for $6.99/plug.

Hope these are a better choice than the Bosch plugs.

EDIT: Well it seems the OP had these so I guess they should be fine!

Last edited by cpufreak3; 10-21-2009 at 05:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Spark plug change