DIY:*FIX* Coolant Air Bubble [ Heater not working / Temperature jumps / Loud BOOM ]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Post DIY:*FIX* Coolant Air Bubble [ Heater not working / Temperature jumps / Loud BOOM ]

G35mods.com Coolant Air Bubble FIX

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
That DIY is lame, incomplete, and hardly helpful for G owners.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by k67p67
That DIY is lame, incomplete, and hardly helpful for G owners.
explain... It fixed all the problems for me, figured I might as well keep it simple.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Depending upon how much air is trapped in the cooling system, it's going to take more than removing the bleeder screw and making sure the overflow resevoir is kept full of coolant. Additionally, the cooling system may very well burp a large amount of coolant all over the engine bay if a large air pocket works its way to the radiator fill neck. That would be quite messy. Bleeding the cooling system in our engines requires much more work and time than reflected in that DIY. The system should be cycled through heating/cooling modes during the process. Those who are doing the coolant bypass mod will likely encounter more difficulty fully bleeding the system. A friend (rookie) turned me onto a Lisle coolant bleeding funnel which fits over the radiator fill neck. It worked well.

The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (05-10-2020)
Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Depending upon how much air is trapped in the cooling system, it's going to take more than removing the bleeder screw and making sure the overflow resevoir is kept full of coolant. Additionally, the cooling system may very well burp a large amount of coolant all over the engine bay if a large air pocket works its way to the radiator fill neck. That would be quite messy. Bleeding the cooling system in our engines requires much more work and time than reflected in that DIY. The system should be cycled through heating/cooling modes during the process. Those who are doing the coolant bypass mod will likely encounter more difficulty fully bleeding the system. A friend (rookie) turned me onto a Lisle coolant bleeding funnel which fits over the radiator fill neck. It worked well.
Yes I understand your point. I had a terrible bubble when I first did this, it made a little mess but I just cleaned it off with some water not a big deal. I don't see how it needs more work, it worked great for me. It took some time but i cleared out the system enough to have a constant flow of fluid with no bubbles. Then my heater began to work again and my temperature problem went away. So I think this really does serve a purpose... Can you send me pictures I can add that funnel if people are interested in using it.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 AM
It's possible that you were just fortunate or had very little air in the system. Do some research on this site and My350Z.com. You'll find that our cooling systems are notoriously difficult to bleed. That DIY is not going to cut it for 95% of the VQ owners. Have you monitored your temps with Cipher or similar program? The funnel looks like the attached image. I don't recall the correct model number for our cars though.

Attached Thumbnails DIY:*FIX* Coolant Air Bubble [ Heater not working / Temperature jumps / Loud BOOM ]-lisle-221501.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Really now? I recently performed this on a friends coupe, he had the engine temperature (rise) issue. I fixed it in less then an hour. Maybe I am part of that amazing 5%. And no I have not monitored my temps with cipher or anything. But thank you I will look and see if I can find the exact one or I will just talk to rookie tomorrow when I see him.

It's possible that you were just fortunate or had very little air in the system. Do some research on this site and My350Z.com. You'll find that our cooling systems are notoriously difficult to bleed. That DIY is not going to cut it for 95% of the VQ owners. Have you monitored your temps with Cipher or similar program? The funnel looks like the attached image. I don't recall the correct model number for our cars though.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 AM
If you want to make the DIY worthwhile, you'll have to be more comprehensive and include information like temperature threshholds that determine when the thermostat will open and cycle the coolant through. Since you're going to see Viet tomorrow, ask him about it. He's very well versed in coolant bleeding since he's done it so many times.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 AM
If you want to make the DIY worthwhile, you'll have to be more comprehensive and include information like temperature threshholds that determine when the thermostat will open and cycle the coolant through. Since you're going to see Viet tomorrow, ask him about it. He's very well versed in coolant bleeding since he's done it so many times.
This was a quick right up for a member of the forum that wanted to know. I think thats a little much. I mean I would, but most people are just looking to keep the car from over heating. Yeah I might, probably going to be have to be a short chat have a ton to do.

Thanks for the input though, I am coming to you if I feel like making a comprehensive one with more information.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
step one. drive car get it hot. step two. get a towel and burp the cap.
probably not the safest way about it. but i have done it in the past and it has worked.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yikes.

get vehicle fully hot. crank the heat
get the above mentioned funnel
add 1-2 inches of coolant
rev to 3 grand. hold for 10 seconds. repeat 2-3 times.
get out, purge bleeder. you should see bubbles fizzle out, then turn to just liquid.
top off funnel and reservoir as necessary.

continue until heat is nice and warm at idle. there will be a noticeable temp difference felt at idle vs 2-3 grand. this is normal.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
+1 on the Lisle bleeder funnel.
-1 to the giant air bubble that burped coolant all over me last night

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Hope you didn't get burned Chris. That coolant is about 220°F.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
wasn't too bad man. i saw the level rise really quick so i shut the car down. right as i walked back to the front of the car there was one huge burp that spurted coolant everywhere. fortunately i had a towel over the plenum & intake so most of it ended up on the undertray - from reading the FSM, who would have thought that getting air out of the system would be the most difficult part of a radiator swap!?!?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts
Yikes Chris! I'm glad you dodged that shower!
What radiator did you get?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY:*FIX* Coolant Air Bubble [ Heater not working / Temperature jumps / Loud BOOM ]