Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Techno ECU update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Techno ECU update

1. ive got the ecu + downpipes.
2. drive a 6speed coupe
3. it isnt a scam from mazda, in japan it makes those numbers they just didnt account for the CA octane, their idiots no scam artists, ill still buy one when they come out with the true sports car version.
4. all the g35 and 350z motors are identicals, the sedan just has much more restrictions on it, i figure single exhaust plays a big part.
5. our cars are designed to cut through air not suck it in, thats why tadshi said if you have a cold air itll starve at high speeds.
6. the turbo they were working on just went up for sale, i believe it lists for just udner 8 grand, and its from power enterprise.

-moooooo

Old 09-24-2003, 02:23 PM
jcv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coupe and sedan (and 350Z for that matter) are both single exhaust, coupe has a different resonator and sedan has a variable muffler-really minor differences. Intakes are the same. I agree the AT accounts for some difference in acceleration and HP, and the cams in AT cars and MT are not the same-I've checked.

I'm not questioning anyones veracity, just have not seen any legit dynos from anyone substantiating the claims for the ECU and AT.

Also, check last months C&D test of famous tuners for import cars. All claimed over 300 hp, most broke during the testing and many didn't perform better than stock WRX or EVO. And these were well known tuners with their own package. Doesn't build confidence in their claims.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by jcv on 09/24/03 11:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-24-2003, 02:36 PM

selling things in packages is usually just an excuse to make more money.
theres a dyno for my ecu somewhere on this board. i saw it and the original, the numbering is different cause its a bosch dyno, but the gains are there.

-moooooo

Old 09-26-2003, 11:36 AM

You can add me to list of happy TechnoSquare ECU upgrade users.

DaveO - 5AT Sedan

Old 09-26-2003, 11:54 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DaveO,

Tell us what the ECU upgrade does for the 5AT.......

Cato

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
GG/DB red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 09-26-2003, 05:07 PM

Hey guys

It is one thing to disagree with what a mod does or does NOT do; that is certainly your prerogative .

But it is entirely another to make yourself look completely idiotic and unobjective to the trained eye in process. And I do NOT mean everyone in this thread, but just the couple of PhD's who outright say it's "crap" and that they "smell b.s." with nothing more than less-than compete thought with hardly a trace of reason and hardly any evidence of them having reviewed the HUGE amount of information available on this forum regarding the ECU.

Here is what's going on. Both the 6MT and the 5AT cars develop 260HP at the crank. But the 5AT passes on a lot LESS of these horses to the wheels because of the inefficiencies in the drive train compared to the 6MT. 6MT also (as far as I know) uses an electrical cooling fan, which, as per my experients on the dyno of the last several days, gobble up a significant 5-7 HP from the wheels. There may also be a difference in cams, etc, which I cannot speak to.

As far as why is it that the 5AT is more detuned than the 6MT? Several possibilities. It is a fact that my car developed a greater HP difference with the ECU update compared to the ECU update of the coupe AT/6MT and now the sedan 6MT. Why do I say that? Because it is a fact! Look at this Dynos of my car here (previuosly not published on this forum). That is a comparison of my bone-stock (faint blue-line) and the ECU added (red amd green). Now, the red is the first run witht he new ECU, after which we subsequently corrected the mixture in the very high end and the low end, which is the GREEN line. But as you can see, the green curve dipped below the red one (our initial ECU version). This is because the mixture was a little overcorrected. Keep in mind, this was subsequently corrected just not dynoed. Now my 'green' curve would look at least like the red curve in that section where it is now lower.

The difference that you see between the blue and the red curve is calculated to be approximately 16 HP (which translated to at least 20 at the crank).

EDIT:Also, I know myself that there was a lot more modifications made by Tadashi at T.S. on the 5AT sedan ECU than the coupe and the 350Z. Mostly dealing with mixture (10.5 was corrected to 12.5 air/fuel), throttle body open position, as well as timings! These modifications were simply not made to the coupe to the same degree.

I saw, and will try to get for everyone, the BOSCH dyno of the coupe ECU that TS had developed. THe difference between the 2 curves (stock vs. ECU) was hardly ditinguishable compared to my 5AT. This support only 1 conclusion, that the 5AT sedan is more detuned (in terms of timing, mixture, etc) than the 6MT sedan and the coupes. Allow me to get back to the "why" of this thing later. Late for my 2 o'clock class.

For now, the dyno should be sufficient to prove that the TS ECU is NOT crap. Moreover wait till today when I scan in and put up my latest dyno!. Then we'll see if TS is crap!

2003.0 G35S 5AT Aero/Sport
<font color=blue>TS ECU tuned for mods</font color=blue>
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Fujitsubo Y-pipe/22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 09/26/03 02:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-27-2003, 01:04 AM

i was there for that dyno, part of the reason its like that is also because they had problems keeping the auto tranny in gear, the coupe still made gains.

The dyno guy was crazy, but in a good way

-moooooo

Old 09-27-2003, 11:29 AM

I stayed out of this thread as long as I could.

My, My, My. You TSI Guys are all so testy. Wonder why that is? Things at my350z.com got out of hand because of the attitude displayed by you people. You also have a habit of hyjacking threads. Not people I choose to be associated with. BTW, That Dyno Chart makes no sense to me, but then again maybe I'm just trying to make myself look "idiotic".

Lou

Old 09-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK. You kind of contradicted yourself in your post. You start off by saying that both vehicles make the same HP at the crank, then continue to say that the 5AT is detuned from the 6MT. Which is it? It is pretty well known that an auto will eat up more HP through the drivetrain than a manual. So I would definately believe that the 6mt is making more power at the wheels. And, it is obvious that the TS ECU makes a good difference with the AT HP. I am going to speculate, however, that the 6MT and the AT make the same HP (save for the electric cooling fans, if that is the case), but the 6mt transmits it to the wheels more efficiently. It seems to me that the TS increases HP with the AT sedan more than the 6mt for other reasons. Maybe TS wanted to match the AT up with the rest of the vehicles? I really can't say.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals

Old 09-27-2003, 04:18 PM

khsonic,

you are right on the difference between the 5at and the 6mt. The difference is all a the wheels, because of the much more efficient MT instead of the AT. BUt you are absolutely off base about TS wanting to bump the AT guys up to the MT level, althewhile not giving the 6MT people the tuning that they could theoretically get. There would be no reason whatsover for them to do that, especially when the MT crpwd is probably their main customer base as those people are generally much more into tuning then the auto people.

One other possibility in terms of the difference between the 6MT vs. 5AT: Nissan simply did not rerate the engine HP specificaton when they went to the 6MT sedan. THe best piece of evidence is the fact that the 6mt sedan does 5.6sec (0-60mph) vs. the 5AT 6.2sec. Now is this only due to the AT? Maybe. But in my opinion this huge difference in performance is not just due to the tranny. here is why: the ECU module itself, i.e. the hardware and the circuit board are all the same for the 6MT coupe, sedan, and the 5AT coupe (only 90% sure about this last one), while it is unique to the 5AT sedan.

This leads me to believe that the 6MT in fact MAYBE developing more HP even at the crank, more thatn advertized. This is done by the manufacturers all the time. If anyone else out here knows about this, guys please back me up. And on top of that, the more efficient MT is what makes the stick shift so fast. This conclusion is supported by findings at TechnoSquare, which at least to me , makes it the plausible one.

Gurgen

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Eibach Pro Kit

Old 09-27-2003, 04:25 PM

lowrider,

We are not getting testy. Not very many people understand the BOSCH dyno, but by many it is considered to be superior for tuning purposes because it shows the baseline curve (no load) at the bottom after tracing out the HP curve. Do you see it?
On a more personal note, you can consider yourself whatever you want, and associate yourself with whomever you want. THose that know me on these threads know that I always presented nothing but objective facts and opinions in order to help everyone else in our community. What upset me is that some people simply do not do the same (on the note of objectivity) and present completely unsubstantiated ideas: "like it's crap", "I don't believe it", etc. I just think that that does a disservice, and just because you can't read or don't understand a BOSCH dyno does not mean that there is no merit to what I am saying.

Gurgen

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Eibach Pro Kit

Old 09-27-2003, 09:02 PM
jcv

gurgenpb, from speaking with a few dealers and tuners, the ECU for AT sedan and coupe are one and the same. Adaptation has nothing to do with the luxury nature of the car but is done to comply with wear/tear/mileage for OBDII. Cams are different in MT vs AT cars which is not surprising but coupe and sedan versions for each trans are the same - I checked p/ns. Dynos for the AT vs MT cars will always be different because of this. There is also a gearing difference which, combined with the AT and 5 speeds versus 6, gives the difference in 0-60 and 1/4mi.

Glad you're enjoying the ECU.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by jcv on 09/27/03 06:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-27-2003, 10:11 PM

jcb,

Huh, it is a lttle confusing then... TS (danny and Todashi) found the difference between the ECUs from doing all flavors of the car. I know that they are difference for the 6MT coupe/sedan and the 5AT sedan. I guess it also includes the 5AT coupe. It was my impression that all of the coupes were different. I will confirm this once again TS. But you may be right.

On the other hand, don't you think it kind of confirms what I was saying about the 6MT vs. 5AT difference in terms of the ECU? This just HAS GOT to be THE difference between the two cars in the real world. I agree with you that the differences on the dynos are are objective/scientific because of the transmission/gear differences. That's why the 6MT vs. 5AT cannot be compared head-to-head. HOWEVER, the before and after gains for each, i.e. the the difference (the delta), can be objectively compared. And it is a fact that difference that is different for the 5ATs compared to 6MTs, and that's what I was just addressing. The ECUs are different, the programs are different, and thus the cars are making different amount at the crank and of course at the wheels (b/c of the HP differenceand furthermore the tranny difference).

The ECU levels the two cars at the crank! At the wheels is another story.

Gurgen

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Eibach Pro Kit

Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
jcv

The AT ECU will be different from the MT-granted. The HP may , or may, not be same since cams are different. Intakes, heads, basic exhaust are all the same. I agree that ECU retune can help, just question the total amount of HP.Turbo or SC cars, jumps of 20 to 50 are not out of question. NA usually 5 to 10 are usually average.

No question an ECU change may improve driveability and HP some, just observing all the data for the true effects on performance.My scepticism comes from long, long experience with many different performance cars and tuners. Going back to Buick GN days and RX7TT, many tuners offered chips to raise boost and jump dyno HP a lot. At the track and on the street, many actually hurt performance or worse.

I just watched, waited and finally assimilated all the results to get something that worked. I'm not one to be the first to jump at tuner dyno claims. I also am waiting until someone develops a system to flash the EPROM without shipping the ECU-sorry but that's ridiculous in this day and age.

Glad you like your system and, as I said, I'll be watching and waiting to see how this works over time. I'm hoping SGP Performance in Houston will come up with a flashable system in the meantime.

By the way, getting thermostatically controlled fans for the sedan is not hard,just look around a little. However, note that the energy to run them will be about the same as a clutch fan - watch when electric fans kick on during a dyno. It's called energy balance. Good luck with the car and keep on modding!

Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 PM

jcv,

not sure i agree with you on the energy balance, that does not take away from the HP developed directly directly fromthe crank.I understand that the energy used to drive an electrical fan has to be made up somehow later (i.e. from the alternator). But the drag on the alternator to make up that energy is far less thatn the nergy used directly to drive the mechanical fan (that is, the coefficient of useful work is much higher for the crank->alternator->electrical bus->e.fan vs. crank->mech.fan). Aside from this, there is a reason that they are not put on the coupe's and the 6mt's, as well as the Z's.

By the way, the ECU update is just a flash of the EEPROM from the car's diagnostic port. It DOES not require an ECU removal. They also sell the cord attachments that you can use to flash the cpu with a computer. If they sold the ECU reflash program, noone would buy it from them, everyone would just copy and "share" (i.e. steal). But, it is a reflash, not aswap out or a hardware modification. Just FYI.

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
Eibach Pro Kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Techno ECU update