Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My first oil change!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first oil change!

I'll start this off by saying I have owned 68 cars and always do my own maintenance. I just did my first oil change on my G35c 6mt. The oil filter on this car is rediculous. I have 3 strap wrenches and 6 different cup wrenches. None of them would fit this "dinky" oil filter. I ended up totally crushing the filter by using a large channel lock pliers to remove it. I have a John Deere walk behind lawn mower that has a LARGER screw on oil filter than our Gs. I also cut the filter open and was not very impressed with it's design. I have always used Purolator PURE ONE filters (cut one of those open and see it's quality) and will continue to do so once the correct size is on the market (they say late 2003). I have had many cars with engine under covers and this one is another rediculous design. I have a 2001 Subaru Outback. Subaru at least puts in a sliding removeable cover for oil change service. By the time I'm ready to do another oil change on this G, I am going to cut a large enough access hole under the filter so that I don't have to remove the panel. This change was still dino oil to continue the break in process. I will convert to Mobile One at the next change. I have been a big fan of Mobile One for about a dozen years.

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Second place is the first looser"

Old 10-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My first oil change!

I just put Mobil1 in mine at 7500, with a Mobil1 filter. The M-108 is the dinky stock size, and the M-110 is a taller filter that fits. I'm using the M-110, as I'm just not comfortable putting such a small filter on a performance engine.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 PM

I'm surprised that you're such a big fan of Mobil 1, but don't use a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Have you ever looked at their filters? They are by far the best quality that you can buy (and they usually cost about $10 each).

As for the stock oil filter size-- personally, I wouldn't second-guess the engineers. If they felt that the small filter was appropriate, then that's good enough for me.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:47 PM

Look at the independent oil filter test, the purolator pure one filter is just as good as the mobile 1 filter for half the price.

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
1992 Jeep Cherokee Blk 5.5 RE lift /w 33s
AIM= bkchang79

Old 10-09-2003, 01:39 PM

I did my first change about a week ago. I laughed out loud when I bought the teeny tiny oil filter.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 10-09-2003, 02:00 PM

The bigger filter is generally the same price as the dinky one, so does anybody have a good reason not to use it?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:33 PM

So does Purolator make a larger filter that will fit? One that is equal to the size of the Mobile 1 M-110?

6MT Coupe / Laser Red / Built in May 2003
Delivered by Grubbs Infiniti

Old 10-09-2003, 04:11 PM

OEM Filter Size:
AC Delco: PF1237
Fram: PH6607
Purolator: L14612
Mobil1: M1-108
Wix: 51365

Larger Filter:
AC Delco: PF2057
Fram: PH7317
Purolator: L14620
Mobil1: M1-110
Wix: 51356

Disclaimer: I make no guarantees that these are actually correct. I got them off www.mscdirect.com. I went to AutoZone and put my grubby hands on the filters to make sure they'd fit before buying one.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this make sense....?

On startup, your oil pump starts going, the oil filter has to first fill up before the oil can start circulating through the rest of the engine... so a larger filter would take longer to fill. The smaller filter will fill more quickly thus getting the "lifeblood" to the moving engine parts a little more quickly. Makes sense?

There's also an ongoing discussion concerning flow vs. filtration. One thought is that getting the oil to the engine parts faster (higher flow) helps reduce wear, while filters that offer great filtration tends to restrict the oil flow, especially at high revs, so not enough oil may be getting to the moving parts, thus higher wear occurs. This obviously depends greatly on the specific engine design. A K&N filter tends to be higher flowing, allowing larger particles through its filtering element, while Purolator and Mobil filters allow fewer large particles but tend to restrict flow substantially more than the K&N.

My stand is that irregardless of which belief I choose to adopt, the relatively higher wear that will occur if I make the wrong choice, will not be significant enough to make a difference in 200K miles, the amount of miles I expect to accumulate before swapping out the G. I based my decision on the life my Altima gave me...160K miles when sold, no oil consumption between changes, used Castrol GTX and changed irregularly between 3K and 9K miles...

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-09-2003, 09:30 PM

Purlator does make a filter for the g35. I got one from Pep boy's last oil change. I didn't know they were better then fram till the parts man told me. I still didn't trust his word cause they kind of looked janky. I gave it a ty anyways, I change my oil and filter every 3k anyways.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 10-10-2003, 08:33 AM

No - that's not true. The filter contains an "anti-drainback" valve to prevent the filter from emptying upon shut down. As for the Mobile One filter: I did use one once and after I took it off, I cut it apart too. I was more impressed with what I found for materials and construction in the Pure One filter! I guess I'm old and have too much time on my hands (I'm retiring in Dec).

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Second place is the first looser"

Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lebushaw... I'm still a newbie when it comes to oil lubrication and filters, but I occasionally visit www.bobistheoilguy.com to do some reading when I have some time to kill. This doesn't make me an expert, but I've learnt that a visual inspection alone, of what's in a filter is not a good basis for judging performance. The only way you can determine if an oil brand or oil filter works well, is through testing and measurement. These have been performed at the site above, and is usually the basis upon which I'll make my decsions concerning lubrication and filtering.... and of course my own personal experience does hold some weight as well.

Now, this is not to say that there aren't other sources of dependable information out there, I just trust bob's site a little more than most (when it comes to lubrication).

BTW, I use Mobil1 10W30 with a 7.5K mile oil drain interval and a Purolator premium plus oil filter. My last oil analysis indicated the oil still had life left, but that lead wear was higher than normal. I currently have a 4200 mile sample at the lab and I'm eagerly awaiting results.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-20-2003, 10:34 PM

Damn! That's crazy, you send you oil in for an analysis. That's great! I've never ever heard of that before. Huh.. interesting... I would want to do that too, but am afraid to ask how much a test like that would run.

AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 10-21-2003, 12:39 AM

$18, the kit is free.. blackstone-labs.com

bs g35c lth/prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first oil change!