Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

AccessPORT EMU for G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Talking AccessPORT EMU for G35

I saw this over on the my350Z forum. It is supposed to be a new EMU with multiple maps to take full advantage of different aftermarket engine parts (kinda like UTEC). They supposedly update the maps regularly for differnet applications and the upgraded maps are free to download online. It is supposed to be between $600-$650 and available by the end of the year. You can also uninstall it if you need to take your car to the dealer. I read they are looking for Beta vehicles and are located somewhere in Utah.
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31352

Last edited by 5150DS; 09-03-2006 at 03:58 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1

...just adding that Cobb Tuning, very well known for their Subaru work, is branching out into the Nissan / Infiniti world. Hope everyone agrees that this is a great choice, nad fantastic news for us.

Anyone in St Lake City area should consider helping our cause by contacting them.

...especially if you're an 04.5 6MT Coupe

Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Hell yes. I've been waiting patiently for this. Cobb makes some excellent products.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
One more thing, they are asking for imput on their forum for things you want to see in the EMU.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Whoa! Sounds great. I read in another thread they are going to intergrate OBDII/CAN diagnostics? Would that also imply that they will be offering access to some/all of the Nissan consult features? ie.. timing advance, idle learn, tb recal etc.....along with BCM control........ Cipher and Autoenginuity offer some consult features.

Okay I got their site to load so the answer seems to be yes for the engine stuff. Being able to raise/remove the limiters seems to imply consult type access.

I haven't registered yet so can someone ask if the auto Gs feature some type of torque management system that's written into it's own programming? If yes, maybe it can be turned on/off. If not, then maybe someone can confirm if the timing curves of the AUTOs are significantly different than the MT versions.

OH yeah, while I'm asking for the world, might as well ask if they are planning on any auto TCU access/mods.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 09-08-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coincidentally, I talked with them earlier today.

The first post in this thread is pretty accurate. It should be out by the end of the year, perhaps a bit earlier.

The hand held unit will plug into the ECU diagnostic port. Pre-programmed maps will includ both performance and economy versions (and possibly others) which can be changed on the fly, like when ou are leaving for a drive on the interstate. A certian amount of owner tuning will probably be possible. Maps are temporary, that is they can be erased.

It will also be possible to permanently flash the ECU. Price is anticipated in the $650 range with software options at extra cost.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Red Card Crew

I browsed the manual for the Legacy. Interesting. Purely a flashing tool w/ obdII diagnostics. A different blend of product that's for sure. The OBDII stuff doesn't seem nearly as complete as something like an Autoenginuity tool. But we have to see how the G/Z format looks.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM
So from my reading that linked thread, this thing in then end could possibly do everything that a unit such as a UTEC does and add on top of that OBDII access, ECU reflash capability, and potentially other yet un-modifiable functions (VDC, traction ctrl, etc...)

If so, then for the $600-$650 it seems like an amazing deal...

Old 09-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Well yes and no. EU, UTEC etc.. have parameters that are user changable. Now parameters are of course changable with this one. But you have to have a new map made and downloaded into the AccessPort. Then flashed into the ecu. So you can't just adjust timing/fuel at will.

But that brings up another question. If you happen to datalog your ign or fuel, then see that there's an area that needs to be changed, can we ask Cobb to write a new map that can be DL'd from their site?

Originally Posted by UMD_terp
So from my reading that linked thread, this thing in then end could possibly do everything that a unit such as a UTEC does and add on top of that OBDII access, ECU reflash capability, and potentially other yet un-modifiable functions (VDC, traction ctrl, etc...)

If so, then for the $600-$650 it seems like an amazing deal...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
But that brings up another question. If you happen to datalog your ign or fuel, then see that there's an area that needs to be changed, can we ask Cobb to write a new map that can be DL'd from their site?
... or can the maps be modified by the users using some software that reads in the exisiting map and then writes out the modified map according to what the user wants...

Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Red Card Crew

I know you can DL maps from their site and store them on your computer. But I don't know if you can open them and see what inside and modify them. Good question.

Since you can have multiple maps AND since it implies you can gain access to rev limiters etc..., it would be nice to have a "L-spec" type of map for "Map 1" or something

Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, they make mention of some ProTuner software that they would give out to tuners apparantly and that would most likely have some sort of user modifiable map interface.

from the thread:

ProTUNER is for professional shops to tune multiple cars and distribute their maps to any AccessPORT user (including StreetTUNER users).

StreetTUNER is for end-users (enthusiast) to tune their own cars and share their maps with fellow StreetTUNERs.

Otherwise the ability to tune is very close to the same. Sometimes the ProTUNER software gets some new tables/parameters to change before we roll it out to StreetTUNER but you can get an equally good tune with StreetTUNER as a ProTUNER. It all boils down to tuning skill.

Tuning resolution is pretty good. Most primary tables are 16x16 so you have just over 250 data points. It also does a good job of interpolating between cells. You can also change the table reference data points so if you needed more resolution in one area of the power band, you can adjust the tables for it. You just can't change the amount of data points.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
So according to that, the end user can modify maps it seems and the only difference between this unit and say a UTEC would be that you could not do it on-the-fly... you need to do it offline on a PC and then download a new map.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Nice and that would be my understanding.

Originally Posted by UMD_terp
So according to that, the end user can modify maps it seems and the only difference between this unit and say a UTEC would be that you could not do it on-the-fly... you need to do it offline on a PC and then download a new map.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice and that would be my understanding.
ok then... now they need to get to work and get all these features that we have talked about in there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AccessPORT EMU for G35