Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine Management - Can the EXPERTS write a primer here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Management - Can the EXPERTS write a primer here?

Apparently, engine management units have made significant advances in the last couple years and I'm wondering if current information can be consolidated in one place.

Some of the posts I've read in scattered threads sound like they were "cut and pasted" from supplier's websites or from threads of others. Some sound like folk are simply parroting what they have heard. That's not what I'm looking for here. If you are not very knowledgeable (personally) in EM or an installer of EM systems, please do not post to this thread.

Here are some of the topics I would like to see addressed (brand specific) in terms of their application and benefit for both N/A and FI engines where applicable:

Piggyback and stand-alone systems, benefits of each

Exactly what the EM system can and cannot do

Tuning resolution and it's advantage or disadvantage

Speed of control

Timing, knock and detonation issues

A/F ratio control

Fuel mapping

Realistic HP/torque gain potential

Owner tune capability

Upgrade potential for future mods

Reliability and stability

Suitability for various brands of FI

Costs, including tuning

Other pertinent considerations

Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Bill, there is a very good thread over at my350z.com right now about engine management. Some of the top tuners and other knowledgeable people have posted on it. http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214533

NoLimit who posts here is also pretty savvy.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-07-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hands down, price vs features would be the UTEC, it can fully control anything you try to throw at it and can be tuned anywhere.

i have played with just about every engine management for the G/Z and think that its a great unit. its straight forward, you can learn to tune it yourself with little knowledge, and has many great options... to read more if you dont already know www.turboxs.com

the problem with the unichip is you have to pay a unichip certified dealer to tune it. the problem with f con is you have to find a HKS V Pro dealer to tune it, the problem with emange ultimate is that it scales the fuel and timing off the stock ecu and the stock ecu does some weird stuff sometimes.

good luck and let me know if you have any other questions about anything i can help you with...

price on a utec is around 800 dollars, if you add the tuner wideband you are looking at another 350 and this will allow you to datalog your air fuel ratio with all your other data. this will allow you to adjust fuel to get your target AFR. this can be learned to do yourself in a matter or hours. i have taught a few people and now they are teaching people...

i sell utec, EU, unichip, Fcon but am currently running UTEC in my car and would not change it out until one day i fully have the car off the street and switch to a full standalone for track only. believe me, my car is pushing ALL the limits of the VQ and it the utec works on it, well... it will work on anything for a while

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 09-08-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I would tend to agree w/ Jeremy that the UTEC probably is the best choice for most people in most situations.

However, I have heard good things about the New HKS F-Con IS...it is a good piggyback like the UTEC and about the same price. Of course it in not end user tunable...however, performance wise, anyone know how it would stand up?

Also, does anyone know about the new AEM or HYDRA systems that might be coming out? These would be 2 standalones that could challange the V-Pros' monopoly on the standalone market.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-08-2006 at 02:21 PM.