Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Which grounding kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
I noticed no change on my 03 5AT with the GG 10-wire kit
Your experience seems to be the exception, rather than the rule.

I was also a skeptic of these kits back when they started. I then spoke a few dealership technicians about their opinions.

A few were skeptical as well, but they said that some problems with some cars can be fixed with increased grounding, and thought that it might be worth a try. I didn't really have a problem, but thought "what the hey", and though I had heard about the GroundingGear kit, I read a lot more about the Sun Auto kits in the magazines that gave them rave reviews. I thought about some of the knock-off kits on e-bay for $50, but my previous experience is that you get what you pay for.

I bought my first Sun Auto kit, and was very surprised with the difference it made! I decided to try a kit custom made for the G35, and so I then bought the Stillen kit and sold my Sun Auto to a local WRX owner.

I was disppointed with the Stillen product, not because it didn't make a difference, but the grounding points were odd, and the construction quality was just okay.

I did more research, and decided to try Gord's Kit. The construction is the best I've seen of ANY, and had the best instructions, and the best fit. I did back-to-back comparisons, and even did some blind testing with my family and a few friends. Virtually all could tell the difference, especially in the "blind" tests! Several friends now have GroundingGear in their cars (most not G35s) and are very happy.

I passed Gord's website on to a Performance Shop that I know, the owner put one in his own G35, and they've been ordering from him ever since, even though they could build their own with the equipment and supplies they have on hand. This tells me that there is a difference!

I also asked Gord about doing extra wires, and he said that there are a few cars out there with 14 or 15 wires, but none of the extras makes a consistent difference. He said that there are many more factors than numbers of wires, and didn't recommend adding for the sake of numbers. I believe he was the first manufacturer to actually offer more than 7 in the first place. Now it just seems everyone's jumped on the bandwagon.

I'd suggest that if you want just "wires to dress the engine up" do the e-bay thing. But if you're serious about this, do GroundingGear. Apparently, many new car dealerships agree as I understand that some sell and install Gord's Kits.

I fully support a quality product and will be honest with an "iffy" one, even if it is popular (see my review on the Nismo CAI )

Last edited by ckg35; 09-15-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I note that both offering's kits aren't soldered. Would be of any additional advantage to go ahead and solder the wire/connection junctions?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I note that both offering's kits aren't soldered. Would be of any additional advantage to go ahead and solder the wire/connection junctions?
I assume you are talking about soldering the lug to the wire.
A good commercial quality crimp cold welds the metals together. This is really just as good as soldering as far as electrical integrity.
Soldered connections do not always hold up well to vibration. And to solder wire of such large gauge would require a very large amount of heat which is not desirable. Quality crimps are more consistent and practical for this application.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont waste ur money on any aftermarket grounding wires... U can do the test yourself and get a volt meter to see how the resistance is... The G comes grounded pretty good already... I wasted $100 on the HYPer grounding kit for something that looks cool... Remember engineers designed our cars... MY 2 CENT's...

Old 09-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Former Vendor

^ Don't group all wiring kits into the one you bought.The one you bought looks like only 6 wires and over priced.Other ones are from 10 to 12 wires.Sure engineers design the cars,but most cars are designed with a budget in mind,corners are allways cut.It is like an engine,they are engineered,so why do people blue print & balance a engine ? You can allways make something better.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Premier Member

Ok but i went out and tryed out how bad if any resistance there is on the G... I came up with no resistance... so i think it was a waste of money...

Attached Thumbnails Which grounding kit?-g35-engine-bay-pics-005-internet.jpg  
Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 AM
^ is yours a 6mt or 5at? 5at's the 10/12 wire kits make a diff with the tranny shifting in MM mode. 6mt's dont notice much difference in performance..

Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
ACtually they are already crimped. I was asking if adding solder to the already crimped connection would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by fortified
I assume you are talking about soldering the lug to the wire.
A good commercial quality crimp cold welds the metals together. This is really just as good as soldering as far as electrical integrity.
Soldered connections do not always hold up well to vibration. And to solder wire of such large gauge would require a very large amount of heat which is not desirable. Quality crimps are more consistent and practical for this application.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Former Vendor

From the pic it looks like a 6MT. Yeah won't see much difference.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 AM
^^^ This guy is the best! If you've seen his car, you know what I mean. He basically does everything himself (except for paint and sewing custom interiors).

Old 09-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by norcal_chan96
Ok but i went out and tryed out how bad if any resistance there is on the G... I came up with no resistance... so i think it was a waste of money...
Nice work. It's rare to see someone actually go and collect evidence to see if the mod worked or not, rather than just "feel" it. It's even more rare to admit that a mod you spent your hard earned money on was worthless. I commend your unbiased analysis.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by abcquackyxyz
5at's the 10/12 wire kits make a diff with the tranny shifting in MM mode.
The GG 10-wire kit did absolutely nothing for my 03's MM mode.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
ACtually they are already crimped. I was asking if adding solder to the already crimped connection would be beneficial.
You will still have to heat it up thoroughly to melt the solder. That much heat can weaken metal. Again, a good cold weld has mechanical strength as well as electrical integrity. Solder adds nothing substantial to that except weight.
You will only find soldered connections on small circuits, generally speaking, and loose unstressed wiring like repaired lamp cords, speaker wires, etc.
Airplanes, submarines, automobiles, homes, etc. all rely on compression joints, not solder.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I noticed no change on my 03 5AT with the GG 10-wire kit
The problem is that you're not trying hard enough. TRY to notice a change. Really imagine that you can feel it! Then it will become a night and day difference, and then you're happy, and that's all that matters.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:59 PM
i got mine from caskyline and it does seem to help in MM mode... thanks again caskyline

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which grounding kit?