Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

First Oil Change recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Oil Change recommendations

First oil change coming up...OK - I have to ask, anybody go to Jiffy Lube or one of the 30 minute jobbers? They say they comply with warranty . Or do you go to the dealer - just can;t make myself do that!!! Unless, that is, I have to!

So what has everybody been doing?
1) Self
2) Jiffy (type)
3) Dealer
4) other?

thanks,, ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Quantum Tint 19% r, 28% fr, & 50% w/s
Clear Corners, 350z Duct http://www.cardomain.com/id/socalted

Old 10-24-2003, 01:29 AM
Re: First Oil Change recommendations

Dealer, It is under $30. Just Dont go to Montclair Infiniti

Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Self: Done it quite frequently. If you have the proper tools, it doesn't take long and is not difficult. Plus, you have the piece of mind of knowing it was done right.

2) JiffyLube: Never. Sure, they comply with the warranty.. that is, if the minimum-wage tech doesn't forget to put the drain bolt back in your car and start the engine up without oil in it.... Too many horror stories, and they seem to be geared more for quantity, not quality service.

3) Dealer: If you make an appt. or go first thing in the morning, it doesn't take them any longer than anybody else to do an oil change (if you're in a hurry, you may want to ask them to skip the car wash -- that seems to double the time). As for doing the job right, well.. they didn't replace two of the bolts on my front underbody diffuser last time, but then anybody can make mistakes. If you go there, make sure you keep the coupons they mail you every now-and-then to keep the price down. (NOTE: I let the dealer do my first oil change, because they gave me one free oil change.)

4) Other: I used to use Firestone on my Accord.. let them rotate & balance the tires, do the lifetime alignment check, and change the oil all at once. Sounds like a great deal, and fine if you have a standard "boring" car. I've seen how those techs "test drive" Mustangs and BMW's though... and I'm afraid to let them touch my G35. I went to have my Bridgestone tire patched, and they used a flat pad on the jack on the car's jack point (instead of the slotted pad you have to use on our cars), and bent the metal lip at the jack point. Another quantity over quality place.

If you have a local mechanic shop that you trust to do good work, they're probably a better choice than the dealer.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-24-2003, 01:01 PM

Do it yourself. I've changed my own oil (wife's also) for the last 40 years. I know it's done right. You must have ramps with a shallow enough incline so it doesn't hit the front of the car. I use a K&N filter No. HP1006. Don't under any circumstances go to Jiffy Lube, Pep Boys or anything of that ilk. Oh, don't forget the crush washer. Have fun?

Lou

Old 10-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... and a must have for newbies and those not mechanically inclined... there's a great oil change instruction thread in the FAQ section....

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=.
There truly is no reason to go to the dealer or to any of those quickie change places. If you've never changed your oil before, grab a couple of brews, block out an hour from your day and have fun!

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much difference does the crush washer make over a standard nylon or copper washer? I heard you can do 2 oil changes using the crush washer.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 10-24-2003, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one change per crush washer. After its first use, the washer is already crushed...deformed. I changed my drain plug for a fumoto valve, makes the changes far easier.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s