Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)
View Poll Results: Year/Model of your G having EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
2003 5AT
9.51%
2003 6MT
10.63%
2004 5AT
6.71%
2004 6MT
11.61%
2005 5AT
7.69%
2005 6MT
24.06%
2006 5AT
3.36%
2006 6MT
20.98%
2007 5AT
1.82%
2007 6MT
3.64%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Oil Consumption

Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 6MT also getting a new engine. The thing that worries me the most is if the same issue is going to happen again with my new engine.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Oh well, for me I see it as. It may or may not clear the problem. If it doesn't then I'll see what's up with that until then. But if it does, great. Cuz I know if I don't do anything now, then it for sure won't fix anything. If I get a new engine, it might. It worth a shot, and I'm not paying for it, so why not?

Old 10-13-2006, 08:44 AM
my wifes 03 5at burns at least 1 quart or loses 1 guart between oil changes. With CASTROL GTX. Never had that prob With any other car.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
took mine in today for an oil consumption test and soem other things we'lls ee hwat the outcome is

Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem with oil consumption with ours. In previous experience, following a good break-in schedule (rather than driving the crap out of it from the start), and making sure that the engine is fully warmed up before aggressive throttle application seems to make a big difference.

I previously bought a 280Z at the same time as a friend. He never believed in following a break-in routine (too impatient), and before the year's end, his Z was litterally drinking oil! Mine was fine after many years. He had the same problem with the 'Vette he replaced the Z with, so I'm convinced it's driving style that causes the oil consumption issue.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I burn about 1-1.5qts of M1 between changes (3k).
I added the JWT spacer to add an extra quart so I can be on the safe side.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Brand new 06 6MT here. I haven't even had my first oil change done and I have had to put 4 quarts into my engine already. I am currently at 3800+ miles and my G is going into the dealer Tuesday for it's first oil change. My 2005 G did not have this problem. I think that I am easily over the 1qt/1000 mile figure that Infiniti/Nissan uses to determine if a new engine is required or not. We will see what happens.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine's an early '03 (from May '02). No oil consumption on mine.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by ckg35
No problem with oil consumption with ours. In previous experience, following a good break-in schedule (rather than driving the crap out of it from the start), and making sure that the engine is fully warmed up before aggressive throttle application seems to make a big difference.

I previously bought a 280Z at the same time as a friend. He never believed in following a break-in routine (too impatient), and before the year's end, his Z was litterally drinking oil! Mine was fine after many years. He had the same problem with the 'Vette he replaced the Z with, so I'm convinced it's driving style that causes the oil consumption issue.
For our cars I strongly believe its a manufacturing problem. This is not my first brand new car, and I baby my car during break-in, and there after for that matter. And I have really bad oil consumption.

I always warm up my car before I even move it. I drive my car daily, and probably never see anything over 4k RPM. Hell, I didn't even drive the car over 80mph until at least 5k miles. I rarely step on it, or drive the car hard, only on track days, and very, very occasional spirited street driving.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Just checked my oil, 2 months and about 3000 miles later and I'm down 1.5-2 quarts, 2005 6pd wtf??? I thought the Rev up motors were in the 350z anniversary edition first? Coming from a Sentra that burned oil and pissed me off (Spec V) this kind of makes me mad,

Old 10-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 Coupe - AT - Supercharged - ZERO oil burn...

Mobile 1, Nissan Filter and lots of hard driving since the car had 6.2 miles on it and I drove it off the lot. In fact I took it 138MPH before it had 20 miles on it, then swapped in the Mobile 1, and do so religiously every 3K.

Rick

Old 10-15-2006, 02:20 PM
OK, I think all the people with regular or no oil consumption do not need to post here. Obviously you SHOULD be having normal/no oil consumption. So that means EVERYONE would be posting in this thread. Lets keep it specific to those who ARE having problems... We don't need everyone else to rub it in our face that our cars have a problem with them...

Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GReddySetGO
For our cars I strongly believe its a manufacturing problem. This is not my first brand new car, and I baby my car during break-in, and there after for that matter. And I have really bad oil consumption.

I always warm up my car before I even move it. I drive my car daily, and probably never see anything over 4k RPM. Hell, I didn't even drive the car over 80mph until at least 5k miles. I rarely step on it, or drive the car hard, only on track days, and very, very occasional spirited street driving.
How much oil is your G consuming Danny?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GReddySetGO
OK, I think all the people with regular or no oil consumption do not need to post here. Obviously you SHOULD be having normal/no oil consumption. So that means EVERYONE would be posting in this thread. Lets keep it specific to those who ARE having problems... We don't need everyone else to rub it in our face that our cars have a problem with them...
I think your going too far. I wasn't, for one, rubbing anything in your face. I have been researching this issue for a while now - I am concerned and would like to know some answers as well - whether I have the issues or not.

It is VERY important that people respond to this thread, with their setups and experiences. This is how we can all try to figure this out.

If this thread only had affected people posting - and everyone, for instance, had a similar mod, then perhaps you could say the mod was causing the problem, HOWEVER, if others chime in with those mods and no issues, then perhaps the mod isn't the problem. Also, it allows for the sampling of years the issue is affecting.

Trust me - I would want to know if everyone with the issue only had a Vortech SC, or modded Transmission, or gears - who knows what effect ANY mod could have on our cars.

The more sampling of good and bad will ultimately lead to a solution...considering our beloved manufacturer isn't telling us whats up.

As this board is a community - stop thinking we're ganging up on you and trying to rub it in...we actually care and want to know what's up too.

Try to give the rest of your community family here a little benefit of the doubt...

Rick

Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Wow, I don't know why you take every post I make as a direct offensive remark to you...

It's just this thread was created for the purposes of seeing who is having oil consumption problems. And so many people are posting here saying, I've got no problems! Well, that's good for you. You and we are not supposed to be having these problems.

The original topic of this thread is to see who IS having problems. This thread was created for the sole purpose of finding out which years/models were having oil consumption problems. And then move on from there with more specific criteria once we see what the majorities are.

And I believe the manufacturer is taking care of this, or at least attempting to. Of course they could be working a little harder on it. But that's the purpose of this, is to gather all of us who ARE having problems to let our voices be heard. I know many people have gone to the dealer for oil consumption monitoring, and many have gotten new engines. I for one have undergone the proceedure myself. The dealer said they will give me a new motor, nothing has yet happened. But I am holding faith that they will come through with their word. And I'm hoping it will solve my problems.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Poll: Oil Consumption