Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SC or TT - Environmental Factors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 01:01 PM
|
SC or TT - Environmental Factors?

I'm trying to decide whether to go TT or SC, but I'm wondering what the weather can do to either one. I live in Canada and will be exposed to sub-zero weather for a month or so in the winter. Is either one more prone to problems in the cold? This is my daily driver and I don't want to make a change that is going to make the car hard to start or drive. Also, is TT more efficient since it uses exhaust gases for power instead or using engine power to drive the turbine?

Thanks for any replies...

Old 10-19-2006 | 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
I'm trying to decide whether to go TT or SC, but I'm wondering what the weather can do to either one. I live in Canada and will be exposed to sub-zero weather for a month or so in the winter. Is either one more prone to problems in the cold? This is my daily driver and I don't want to make a change that is going to make the car hard to start or drive. Also, is TT more efficient since it uses exhaust gases for power instead or using engine power to drive the turbine?

Thanks for any replies...
OEM forced induction systems can handle the harsh winter life, but most aftermarket systems are questionable. Hell, most of them have their problems regardless of weather because of the lack of R/D. I guess I'd lean on the side of a SC because it's a bit easier to tune because the doesn't go from nill to full within a 1 second like on a turbo. Untuned turbos have a tendency to wreck motors much quicker simply because of their instant on/off nature.

Yes, turbos are far more efficent than SCs. They might make the same peak power, but the turbo will often add a lot more power under the curve therefore making the car much quicker.

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:52 PM
|
Thanks for the response. I guess everyone else with FI lives in a nice and toasty environment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.