Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Lost Throttle Response... need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006 | 10:17 AM
|
Exclamation Lost Throttle Response... need advice!

I was backing up out of a parking stall when I noticed that the throttle was not responding well. I gave it more gas and managed to back out clear... then I shifted into first and gassed it and I lost complete throttle response... then the SERVICE light came on, THEN the VDC light came on.

I stuck my head out the window to hear the engine..it was running normal and smooth, no knocking or rough idling ALTHOUGH the RPM's were running a little high for only driving 15 mins ago (about 1200-1500).

I turned her off and sat for a minute amidst the honking cars trying to get by. Then I started her up and everything was fine. Checked my throttle and it was fine. I took off only to be bothered by the SERVICE light which is now permanently ON. Now I get to take my trip to the dealership!

I'm not completely engine-saavy but ive heard things from bad injectors to spark plugs. My service rep said some real minor mechanical issue might happen tricking the car into thinking it is in need of service, thus the car goes into a "safe mode" and shuts down throttle response to avoid futher damage to the engine, if any... and if I was able to restart the car with no problems then it must be something small.

That sounds al great to me, but is it legit? CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME?

Last edited by 93 til Infiniti; 10-20-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2006 | 10:43 AM
It's possible you were in safe mode...

Might also be caused by the MAF sensor flaking in and out

Old 10-20-2006 | 10:43 AM
Plug in your OBD2 scanner and report the code numbers. There are multi hundreds of individual code numbers. Every sensor is tested and reports short, abnormal low, NORMAL, abnormal high, open.

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:58 PM
It sounds like the VDC was whacked. If the VDC thinks it should be engaging, the engine will run perfectly but you can't go anywhere. If that caused a code resulting in the Service light coming on - sometimes those codes take a long time to clear without external help (dealer). The dealer will know the story when they check the code.

Old 10-23-2006 | 03:24 AM
you probably need a throttle body its common on nissan/infiniti cars with the drive by wire set up....the VDC could be wacked but i doubt it....the high idle you may need to do an idle learn...the dealer can do that and they have to do it anyway after they change the throttle body...our cars have 2 throttle position sensors so in case one fails the other will still read but set a code till its changed out....

Old 10-26-2006 | 10:25 AM
|
Thumbs up All Fixed!

Finally got it to my dealership (Peninsula Infiniti) and turns out it was some Throttle cylinder/hosing thing (sorry, wasnt paying much attention, lol) that needed to be replaced... anyhow, the part is $300!

Thank God for warranties! Free fix, took less than 2 hours, and I got to waste major gas on their loaner car on HWY 101!

Thanks to all who responded.

Old 10-26-2006 | 11:44 AM
The goblin resurrection
Premier Member
that is good that it is under warranty

Old 10-27-2006 | 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by DJM AutoWorks
you probably need a throttle body its common on nissan/infiniti cars with the drive by wire set up....the VDC could be wacked but i doubt it....the high idle you may need to do an idle learn...the dealer can do that and they have to do it anyway after they change the throttle body...our cars have 2 throttle position sensors so in case one fails the other will still read but set a code till its changed out....
+1--I had to have my throttle body replaced.