Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 vs Castrol euro 0w30

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motul 5w40 here.

Edit: I see the Motul didn't fair very well in the test.

Last edited by Chrlesmd; 05-17-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allenzi35
I just changed my oil and filled the car with this same exact oil. Am I going to tear up my engine using it? Should I change it back to 5W-30? The only difference I see (hear rather) is that the engine seems quieter at idle in the garage than it did before, other than that, it seems normal. Please let me know, thanks.
It wont cause your engine to grenade, but using a thicker oil than recommended can cause increased engine wear, reduced power output, reduced fuel economy, reduced performance, an increase in engine operating temperatures, (not coolant temperatures), and increased emissions. The 5W-30 will reverse all the negatives above and for top performance, a good performing 0W-30 is the hot ticket.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I run M1 15W50 in mine in the summer.
Boost.
A viscosity that thick will reduce power, throttle response, fuel economy, performance and can cause increased engine wear/shorter engine life and even possibly cause the oil pump to fail. Thicker is not better.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using 10W30 Mobil 1 since day 1...this should be ok right?

Thanks
Nate

Old 05-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by uprojektz
I found this article VERY interesting.
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Unfortunately, the article is very bogus. Either someone had a vested interest in making sure a certain oil came out on top, or they just didn't know didly squat about oil! Firstly, the viscosities, "tested", were different from each other. They, "tested", a 5W-40, 15W-50, 10W-40, 5W-30, 0W-40, and even a 5W-60! You can't make valid comparative conclusions of differing products when they aren't even of the same type, or in this case, of the same viscosity! That would be like saying, "Well, we are going to test a Chevy Corvette v.s. a Chevy Cavalier and see how they compare". Come on. That's meaningless and we all know it, just as this ridiculous, "oil test", was meaningless.

Finally, they used the Falex machine to attempt to say one oil brand is better than another. This is absurd. First off, the Falex machine is not used by any oil company in the business to measure oil performance, as the Falex machine is used to measure extreme pressure properties, like with gear lubes! An engine oil is not in an extreme pressure environment, like a gear lube is! Heck, in this bogus, "oil test", I could just pour out my 5W-30 motor oil and pour in some 85W-140 gear lube and, "Presto!", my motor oil will show the smallest wear scar of all! But do we really want an 85W-140 gear lube in our engines? Again, don't believe everything you read on the Internet folks.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Chrlesmd
Motul 5w40 here.

Edit: I see the Motul didn't fair very well in the test.
That's an improper viscosity for your engine. 5W-30 is recommended from your vehicle manufacturer.

The test you refer to is bogus. Don't worry about it. I would be extremely suspect of the oil company that came out, "on top", in this bogus test.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by nate4598
I've been using 10W30 Mobil 1 since day 1...this should be ok right?

Thanks
Nate
Hi Nate. AMSOIL is superior and as an AMSOIL dealer of almost 20 years, I've seen the test results, so I know. What viscosity does your owners manual recommend? That's where you can find out if it's okay or not.

If I may be of further assistance, just PM me.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
Unfortunately, the article is very bogus. Either someone had a vested interest in making sure a certain oil came out on top, or they just didn't know didly squat about oil! Firstly, the viscosities, "tested", were different from each other. They, "tested", a 5W-40, 15W-50, 10W-40, 5W-30, 0W-40, and even a 5W-60! You can't make valid comparative conclusions of differing products when they aren't even of the same type, or in this case, of the same viscosity! That would be like saying, "Well, we are going to test a Chevy Corvette v.s. a Chevy Cavalier and see how they compare". Come on. That's meaningless and we all know it, just as this ridiculous, "oil test", was meaningless.

Finally, they used the Falex machine to attempt to say one oil brand is better than another. This is absurd. First off, the Falex machine is not used by any oil company in the business to measure oil performance, as the Falex machine is used to measure extreme pressure properties, like with gear lubes! An engine oil is not in an extreme pressure environment, like a gear lube is! Heck, in this bogus, "oil test", I could just pour out my 5W-30 motor oil and pour in some 85W-140 gear lube and, "Presto!", my motor oil will show the smallest wear scar of all! But do we really want an 85W-140 gear lube in our engines? Again, don't believe everything you read on the Internet folks.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Steve,

I was the one, whom deleted this exact same post, which you had started as a new thread.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
Steve,

I was the one, whom deleted this exact same post, which you had started as a new thread.
I'm confused....why would you do that?

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Steve,

Wait a moment. My new thread I started for the benefit of everyone in this forum, so as to debunk that ufortunate, "oil test", was taken down. Why? That, "oil test", is a commonly referred to article and it is unadulterated BS that the members of this forum need to know about. I don't understand why it was deleted. Trying to help folks with the truth, with facts, so they don't get led astray and scammed. So what the.....?

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
Wait a moment. My new thread I started for the benefit of everyone in this forum, so as to debunk that ufortunate, "oil test", was taken down. Why? That, "oil test", is a commonly referred to article and it is unadulterated BS that the members of this forum need to know about. I don't understand why it was deleted. Trying to help folks with the truth, with facts, so they don't get led astray and scammed. So what the.....?

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Yes, for the benefit of everyone on these 'Driver boards, you have posted the said, here. Of what benefit is it to 2x post?

Edit: If you wish to continue this discussion, please PM me. That is for the benefit of the members, as well.

Last edited by Andy2434; 05-19-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Steve,

After reading your posts/threads with a bit of a discerning eye . . . I will agree with you that the said post is important for others to view and read.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Steve,

After reading your posts/threads with a bit of a discerning eye . . . I will agree with you that the said post is important for others to view and read.
Thanks bud. Just trying to help out here.

Steve
CEO of Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years

Old 05-19-2007, 09:24 PM
so steve,

so is the 0w30 ok for the VQ

Old 05-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by jdmeg21
so steve,

so is the 0w30 ok for the VQ

AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 is recommended anywhere a 5W-30 or 10W-30 viscosity is being used.

"Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (TSO) Modern passenger car and light truck engines are built for fuel efficiency and power. AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil optimizes efficiency and power without the sacrifice in wear protection that comes with many fuel-efficient, low-viscosity oils."

"Motorists seeking the ultimate in fuel efficiency may use AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil in place of 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oils."

AMSOIL - Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tso.aspx

Of interesting note is the ability of AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 to provide superior engine protection over other oils -

https://www.amsoil.com/graphs/tso_4ball_2005_640px.jpg

Steve
CEO fo Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 19 years

Last edited by HiTechOilCo; 05-19-2007 at 11:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 vs Castrol euro 0w30