Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

SGP Racing Forged Pistons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SGP Racing Forged Pistons

I had a quick question about pistons. I noticed that SGP made two types of pistons, one with a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and one with 11.5:1. It stated that the 8.5:1 was better for FI while 11.5:1 was better for N/A.
How is that so? I thought the whole point of FI was to increase compression of the air, to force more air into each piston. Why would you want to force all that air into there and have a piston which only compresses it by 8.5?
Any insight would be helpful. Thanks guys.

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
K&N Drop In / Stillen Grounding Kit
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
Nismo Front Bumper/Side Skirts
Impul Rear Bumper/Spoiler
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Re: SGP Racing Forged Pistons

Does it have to do with the amount of lift provided by the upgraded camshafts? You need more clearance?

'04 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl
K&N Drop In / Stillen Grounding Kit
Borla Headers/Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
Nismo Front Bumper/Side Skirts
Impul Rear Bumper/Spoiler
AirSplat.com for AirSoft Guns!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:45 PM

you want to lower the compression so you can boost more. With high compression, the heads can only take so much boost. But once you lower compression you can increase your boost by much more, especially with forged rods and pistons

g35s 5at, premium, willow, premium, dad's, spoiled suburban kid

Old 01-19-2004, 10:05 PM

High compression and high boost creates tremendous cylinder pressures and temperatures causing detonation.. ...

..when u turbo an engine you dont need high compression because the turbo creates the pressure in the cylinder..but if you go the NA route then higher compression pistons are key to makin power.. compression ratios depend on few things..your tuning and boost and fuel quality.. the more you boost you run the lower the compression should be..also if your engine is well tuned you might get away with a little higher compression but i wouldnt recommend going over 9.5:1 if you gonna turbo the motor.. also one tip if you dont have a tt setup then dont get the pistons unless you gonna do it all at once cuz reducing compression ratios on na motor takes away power...

Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how much those pistons run? They good for a supercharger!?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 01-20-2004, 02:39 PM

low compression pistons would be good for a super-charger, and then you could increase the amount you boost. However, if you are happy with the power you have now, and have no intentions of increasing your boost pressure, keep your normal pistons, unless youre unsure of your engine reliability. Lowering compression with the same amount of boost would lower your power, but increase the reliability of your motor.

g35s 5at, premium, willow, premium, dad's, spoiled suburban kid

Old 01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Premier Member

Well I want to supercharge my car, I would assume that's when I would get the pistons. So.. if I got the pistons with no forced induction it would lower my HP but increase reliability? Anyplace I can read up on these? They seem like a good mod to do when I get my supercharger installed. If I were to run the same boost with the pistons then I could with the stock pistons, would it increase reliability? Anyone know how much these things run?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 01-20-2004, 07:25 PM

good write up man. but from what i have seen it is going to cost a lot more then that for rods and pistons. most have been selling for a grand. So you are look at 2 grand on parts then 3 grand on install and then there is still a lot more work to do. Check out the forums at my350z.com under the F/I section there are guys who have put 10 grand into the engine and seem to really know what there talking about. and who really need 800 HP

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
In Search of Magic

Damn Loren you know your stuff pretty well.

What it basically comes down to is that you need lower compression pistons if you want to boost more than those turbo/sc kits come stock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 CB Coupe 6MT
Z-tube
Stillen Hi-flow

Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 PM

wow, this is really good info!

so let's say you took the cost of a Greddy TT ($8000 for parts + install)
and put that towards NA upgrades... what could you get?

I'm guessing the end resuld would also be much more reliable and require less maintenance etc. right?
and althought you can't get the kind of gains a TT will get you, the power will come smooth and even?

Old 01-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Premier Member

Well.. I just wanted to upgrade my internals because when I get my supercharger I want to run around the boost they give to be safe with stock which I believe to be 5-7psi. Make my car in between 400-450hp. If I have the extra cash, the rods and pistons would be worth it for reliability. I don't want to get my SC at 40,000k (I have 15k now) and then at like 80k have it blow my engine up.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 01-21-2004, 10:15 AM

By the way, all your price questions can be answered by going to their website:

http://www.sgpracing.com

They've done all of my upgrades for me. Great, extremely knowledgeable people and wonderful to do business with.

'03 AT Sedan | Silver/Willow | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav | Injen CAI | UR Pulley | Tein Flex w/EDFC | Stillen Rotors | Cusco Sways | TS ECU | Stillen Exhaust

Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Premier Member

Thank you

Thanks - Joey Avino

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SGP Racing Forged Pistons