Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My Dip-Stick Got Stuck!

Old 02-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dip-Stick Got Stuck!

Checked Baby’s oil for the first time, and really had a hard time pulling out the dipstick. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] I was afraid to pull too hard for fear that I would break something. Then I realized that they must have had to back-engineer the shape of the stick because the air-intake hose was in the way. They had to put some bends in the top part of the stick in order to gain access to the oil stick hole.

Anyway, I looked a little closer and realized that there were two opposing spring-clamps that hold the top of the stick in place after it is inserted completely into the hole. I pulled a little harder to get it out, and it came out OK. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

After I got the stick out, I noticed that it was also bent and twisted near the bottom. Well I figured that this was normal and that the engineers had to twist and bend it that way at the bottom to calibrate where the oil level appears on the stick.

After wiping the stick off to get a good clean reading, I tried to put the stick back in, but I couldn't find the hole. Then in my probing around, I somehow managed to get the tip of the dipstick hung up on the rear spring-clamp that holds the stick in place. [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img] Well, I never had this problem before, so I was kind of perplexed. [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] I didn’t want to pull to hard for fear that I might do damage to the stick. But by the same token, I couldn’t let it just flop around in there hung up on the spring-clamp. So I carefully and gently twisted, and pushed, and pulled, and finally it came free. Whew…. Didn’t know what I was going to do if I couldn’t get it out. [img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Baby’s oil level was only down a little ways, so I felt that it was all worth the trouble. The basic problem is that because of the limited room, you can’t use two hands to guide the stick into the hole. Nor can you easily see where the hole is in the first place. I wonder if they could put the dipstick on the other side. It seems that it would have been a lot easier that way.

Did anybody else have this problem, or know of a better technique?

Old 02-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Re: My Dip-Stick Got Stuck!

I got my G about a month ago and did the exact same thing as you. I thought for sure I was going to break something pulling the stick out. I suppose after time, we'll get used to it. I doubt I get used to the fact that the oil filter is covered up by a protective shield. I wonder if this is partially there to keep you going back to the dealer every 5000 miles so they can sell additional "maintenance"

Old 02-10-2003, 01:18 PM

yeah, i noticed it was pretty tough to get the dipstick out and each time i do it, i'm afraid i'm gonna break it or something.. i'm not sure of any particular method of getting it out easily and cleanly cuz when you yank it out, the oil from the stick gets everywhere..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey VettRN, I've had trouble b4 with these D/S's and found that pulling them out when cold is deffinitely easier than hot.
I've found using a light helps. I keep one handy by the car for this purpose.
When romoving the stick I push gently toward the right (with left hand) to offset the upward pull of the right hand. This helps pull the stick sideways instead of straight up, since the seating is angled that way.
I also twist (as much as you can) the stick to break it loose from the seating.:P) Hope this helps with what 'should' be a simple procedure but proves to be a little more! [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] LOL

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-10-2003, 04:25 PM
IQ9

We use the same trick on our Z but you have a little more room to get in there.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
O.F. Administrator

IQ9, So the Z is worse than the G's. Man that must be a PITA
[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]. If it were me and the problem was worse, I'd seriously think about shaving off the rubber on the dipstick to allow easier seating. Wouldn't take much, and if worse came to worse, a new stick down the road wouldn't be that expensive. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Just a thought.......

Old 02-10-2003, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the technique gsedanman. I'll give it a try.

Might not want to shave the rubber off to make it easier to remove though. I think I read this several years ago that the dipstick has to be tight so that the crankcase remains sealed from the atmosphere. Something to do with blow-by, or emissions, or something like that.

Since this is my first "Nissan/Infinity" since my '90 Pathfinder, I can't recall how the dipstick technology was in the good old days. I have a suspicion that they engineered this one just a little bit too far in that they tried to use the clamps as guides to help you guide the dipstick into the hole. A better design might have have been to put an extension on the dipstick tube so that you could at least see the hole to put the stick into. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by VettRN on 02/10/03 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-10-2003, 07:25 PM

Whoever designed that stick ought to have their slide rule taken away.

The same engine sideways on a Maxima is a snap to check the oil on, where this thing is just plain ridiculous!

Hoot

Old 02-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that reading the oil level when it's hot impossible anyway. The oil seems to coat the dip stick along much of its length. When cold, the oil level seems quite clear, but necessitates taking a reference level after filling with fresh oil as the recommended way is with an engine at operating temperature.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:45 PM
O.F. Administrator

Yeh, the heat from the engine seems to swell the rubber just enough to make it a PITA to get out.
I don't bother warming the oil to check the level; I don't see the point of warming the engine to operating temp, then waiting 10 min. for all the oil to drain back into the pan. When I change oil, I just refill to the full mark, and top up the next morning once the level settles.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2003, 09:05 PM

MMMM .. Yummy ... I love PITAs...
with hummass

Old 02-11-2003, 11:26 AM

yeah, the oil stick is the worst I've ever seen, no way you can put it back without using light.
btw, why doesn't G35 have a stick for transmission oil? no need to check or maintanence free? or you have to have service from dealer in order to find out if the transmission oil is ok?

Silver/Graphite/Premium/Sports/Winter

Old 02-11-2003, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys..... I didn't realize that you had to let the engine warm up FIRST and then wait 10 minutes to let the oil drain back into the pan before checking the oil gsedanman. I always thought that you should check it cold, just like the tire pressure. That way all the oil is already down in the pan. I guess I'm going to have to read my op manual a little more thoroughly. [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

If this is true, then it's a double wammy with the dipstick, because not only do you have to be a contortionist, but you have to wear fireproof gloves and sleeves so you don't burn your hands/arms on the hot engine just to check the oil. OUCH

If they use the same engine for different cars, then I still think having a different dipstick tube for each car is the answer. Just make the tube long enough and with the right bends in it so that you could access the top of the tube. The stick could then follow the tube down into the engine and ultimately into the oil pan.

Hmmm.... Now that I'm thinking about it. I never did check the automatic transmission fluid the other day. I was too busy getting my oil dipstick unstuck and forgot about it. Where/how do you check the automatic transmission fluid? At operating temperature, with the engine running I assume.

Old 02-11-2003, 03:28 PM
O.F. Administrator

30all, there is a tranny dipstick in a tube at the back by the firewall. They left off the handle so nobody touches it. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]HAHA - If you get right up close and look down, you'll see the tube and black cap which is clamped down with a 10mm bolt. If you undo the bolt (don't drop it), you can pull out the stick which is otherwise like a regular tranny dipstick. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I like to look at and smell the fluid periodically. It tells an interesting story (if it's accessible[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img])
This is a great car but like Hooter said "someone should have their sliderule taken away" (and shoved down their throat)------ OUCH hahaha ------for their poor design. They obviously don't do much maintenance themselves.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Have fun guys...........[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 02/11/03 12:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gsd;

I think you just have something about rubbing and smelling strange fluids.[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Dip-Stick Got Stuck!