Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Sale at AutoZone: 5 qts. Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 Filter - $29.99

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttrank
I still use M1 15W50 in my TT'd G and she loves it. I may switch to 0W40 something thinner for the winter.
The 0W-30 or 5W-30 M1 will provide superior performance/acceleration, more power/better throttle response, increased fuel economy, lower emissions, reduced engine wear/longer engine life, (will run, "like new", for a longer period of time), and lower engine temperatures.

Steve
Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic motor oils for 20 years.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
HiTech, time to change your name to YOUBUYAMSOILNOW

No need for that at all my friend!

Steve
Hi-Tech Oil Co.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=ISMSOLUTIONS][quote=HiTechOilCo]0W-40 is not a preferred viscosity for these engines and can cause a reduction in fuel economy, increased engine wear, higher engine temperatures, increased emissions and a drop in horsepower/performance./quote]

An amazing analysis of the exact opposite experience I have with every one of my cars...hhhmmm. I used the 0W-40 for my G, my 280ZTurbo, and my 300ZTT. The preferred viscosity is what the dealer says to use..5W-30...but that's for a normally driven car. Mine is blown and driven hard every day, and that preferred viscosity made my car get hotter, the blower and turbo's hotter and less quality lubrication, not to mention increased blow-by.
Hi Rick! The results of different oils and viscosities can vary, but in general, (especially with a good performing PAO synthetic oil), the lighter the viscosity, the faster the oil will flow and the faster it is flowing, the faster it is also transferring heat, making for a cooler engine. Other benefits can include increased horsepower/better performance, increased fuel economy/lower emissions and reduced engine wear/longer lasting engine. NASCAR racing engines hitting almost 9,000 rpm for hours on end have used very light viscosity oils, down to 0W-30 and 5W-20 for maximum performance and power output.

There has to be another angle here for you...I've seen many of the threads you have posted on - and you bash on ANY oil that is not AMSOIL....
No angle at all. Merely sharing information and where that information and experience comes from, so as to show I'm not some grease monkey down at, "Joe's Quick Lube". Not that there's anything wrong at all with being a grease monkey at, "Joe's Quick Lube"!

I don't bash any oil. I don't know where you get that from. I have been on here extensively praising Mobil 1 against the people who were bashing it.

I like Red Line products - I like Royal Purple - I have used Mobile 1 for 22 years...never and issue. I usually use Red Line for the differential - in fact I have switched from that to Mobile 1, as the diff temps went down almost 25 degrees after using it. In about 2500 miles - I will compare Mobile 1 to Royal Purple in the differential.
All good products, but I think you will find the Mobil 1 to be the winner.

Sorry - but for some reason, I don't think your being objective - rather than trying to push what you sell. On your website - you list the top 10 oils based on viscosity break down - the 2 Mobile 1 oils were #3 and 4 - and Royal Purple 7 - and you never see Red Line anywhere...sounds a bit like you have a severely biased opinion.
What viscosity break down? I am not aware of any such test results on my web site. Possibly there is some confusion here?

I would rather see the same tests you have done from Mobile 1 and Royal Purple...I bet ya they beat AMSOIL.
Umm...no, they don't.

NONE of those tests mean anything to most people - just like dyno results for an exhaust, intake, etc.
It's how to evaluate an oil, just like other products have tests to evaluate the performance of those products.

People will buy based on experience of their own and others as well. Some will look at scientific studies - by independents, not oil representatives.
SAE and ASTM test results are independent and easily verifiable.

Steve
Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industry leading AMSOIL synthetic lubricants for 20 years.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
0W-40 is not a preferred viscosity for these engines and can cause a reduction in fuel economy, increased engine wear, higher engine temperatures, increased emissions and a drop in horsepower/performance.

Steve
Hi-Tech Oil Co.

What would be your opinion on the "preferred viscosity" for the VQ35DE then? I just ordered 6 quarts of Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 (I have a JWT oil pan spacer so my G takes an extra quart). Thought I would try Amsoil. Should I return it for a different viscosity? I live in Florida.

Last edited by gspotter; 08-13-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Steve -

OK - so I'm kind of done with this thread...and don't really want to go further...I've made my arguments, don't need to defend them, and anyone can go to your website and see how it is completely geared toward one specific brand, that your company specifically and exclusively sells/distributes.

There is a lot of good information there...I'm not knocking that. There are dyno tests of different oils and their viscosity breakdown percentages, and other wear info..all leading to AMSOIL being the best.

Whether it's 1% or 10% better, or it works best on motorcycles, as many of the tests on the site show - or it's hands down the best oil in the world -every oil manufacturer will claim the same.

Again...it will come down to personal experience and perception. AMSOIL is not a typically easy to get brand at your corner store, while almost everything else, that comes close or possibly better, is.

I don't know about others - but certain things I buy for and put in my car, don't need to be so exclusive in their availability or sold in such a way that makes the rest of the trillion dollar industry look like they all did it wrong.

For me...if it's in the top 5 or sometimes the top 10 - there is really no effective difference for all of us 'plain Joe's' which of them we choose...and saving ~$4 per quart of oil is not the issue either...but why spend double or more for something you'd ever know was there - in this case?

And with that said - sometimes it does make sense as well. If I had a 2million dollar + racing car doing 9000 RPM's for hours on end - I'd get the oil from whomever the sponsor was for the team. If I didn't need the sponsor - then I'd go with what the majority went with in the class. BUT these aren't 2 million dollar cars - and they don't' go to 9000 RPMS's, let alone just beyond 7000RPMS's. AND the ones that do, yea right, can be counted between my first and second finger.

So - in closing - please don't try to convince me, or any of us, that apples to apples comparisons of a multi-million dollar race car with an engine that will run for ABOUT 500 miles at it's worst, and then be taken apart after every race and discarded, with our cars, is at all a fair comparison or argument.

Lets see a comparison of 10 oils on 100 of the SAME cars run in test configurations, on dyno's in controlled environments, for 1000 hours each at varying speeds to simulate the AVERAGE driver and use/abuse of their cars and see what the differences are. In fact - make it easier - 100 of the same car - with 10 oils - on a dyno for 10 hours each running at 80MPH - examine the oil and emissions before and after...

When that's done...them do it on an FI car set again - with variable speeds, load and pressures - and then do a tear-down, including Turbo's and SC's - all done independently - now that's a set of results worth looking at and POSSIBLY following.

I have nothing against you..but companies that represent a single product - that come on these boards as non-objective...just hits me in the wrong spot. You have to understand and accept the fact that not everyone, and likely a very few, will ever believe you or possibly even care at all, or even buy what you or others have to sell. So stop trying to force your product and research on people. Education is good...but leave it at that. Just say - 'hey - take a look at our website and at AMSOIL products if you haven't. we've done research and have some results you may be interested in..let me know if you have any questions, PM me."

One last item - perhaps it's my perception about you or how you have done things here - but I know I'm not the first to believe the way I do about things you've said here in the past. It always seems to end up though, that you start agreeing with the the opposition, and suddenly start saying good things about their preferences...to save face...it's just weird how this has happened a few times before. If I'm totally off base - and am seeing something totally wrong here - well..that's my perception of the situation, and it is what it is.

Over and out....

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by gspotter
What would be your opinion on the "preferred viscosity" for the VQ35DE then? I just ordered 6 quarts of Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 (I have a JWT oil pan spacer so my G takes an extra quart). Thought I would try Amsoil. Should I return it for a different viscosity? I live in Florida.
Per Infiniti engineers the preferred viscosity using a petroleum oil is 5W-30.
The AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 is an excellent choice for a synthetic oil.

Steve
Hi-Tech Oil Co.
Distributing industy leading AMSOIL synthetic motor oils for 20 years.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Hey Steve -

OK - so I'm kind of done with this thread...and don't really want to go further...I've made my arguments, don't need to defend them, and anyone can go to your website and see how it is completely geared toward one specific brand, that your company specifically and exclusively sells/distributes.

There is a lot of good information there...I'm not knocking that. There are dyno tests of different oils and their viscosity breakdown percentages, and other wear info..all leading to AMSOIL being the best.

Whether it's 1% or 10% better, or it works best on motorcycles, as many of the tests on the site show - or it's hands down the best oil in the world -every oil manufacturer will claim the same.

Again...it will come down to personal experience and perception. AMSOIL is not a typically easy to get brand at your corner store, while almost everything else, that comes close or possibly better, is.

I don't know about others - but certain things I buy for and put in my car, don't need to be so exclusive in their availability or sold in such a way that makes the rest of the trillion dollar industry look like they all did it wrong.

For me...if it's in the top 5 or sometimes the top 10 - there is really no effective difference for all of us 'plain Joe's' which of them we choose...and saving ~$4 per quart of oil is not the issue either...but why spend double or more for something you'd ever know was there - in this case?

And with that said - sometimes it does make sense as well. If I had a 2million dollar + racing car doing 9000 RPM's for hours on end - I'd get the oil from whomever the sponsor was for the team. If I didn't need the sponsor - then I'd go with what the majority went with in the class. BUT these aren't 2 million dollar cars - and they don't' go to 9000 RPMS's, let alone just beyond 7000RPMS's. AND the ones that do, yea right, can be counted between my first and second finger.

So - in closing - please don't try to convince me, or any of us, that apples to apples comparisons of a multi-million dollar race car with an engine that will run for ABOUT 500 miles at it's worst, and then be taken apart after every race and discarded, with our cars, is at all a fair comparison or argument.

Lets see a comparison of 10 oils on 100 of the SAME cars run in test configurations, on dyno's in controlled environments, for 1000 hours each at varying speeds to simulate the AVERAGE driver and use/abuse of their cars and see what the differences are. In fact - make it easier - 100 of the same car - with 10 oils - on a dyno for 10 hours each running at 80MPH - examine the oil and emissions before and after...

When that's done...them do it on an FI car set again - with variable speeds, load and pressures - and then do a tear-down, including Turbo's and SC's - all done independently - now that's a set of results worth looking at and POSSIBLY following.

I have nothing against you..but companies that represent a single product - that come on these boards as non-objective...just hits me in the wrong spot. You have to understand and accept the fact that not everyone, and likely a very few, will ever believe you or possibly even care at all, or even buy what you or others have to sell. So stop trying to force your product and research on people. Education is good...but leave it at that. Just say - 'hey - take a look at our website and at AMSOIL products if you haven't. we've done research and have some results you may be interested in..let me know if you have any questions, PM me."

One last item - perhaps it's my perception about you or how you have done things here - but I know I'm not the first to believe the way I do about things you've said here in the past. It always seems to end up though, that you start agreeing with the the opposition, and suddenly start saying good things about their preferences...to save face...it's just weird how this has happened a few times before. If I'm totally off base - and am seeing something totally wrong here - well..that's my perception of the situation, and it is what it is.

Over and out....

Old 08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by dTor

Old 09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Didn't know the Castrol Syntec tested that good 5w30.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Red Card Crew

For Seany

Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
For Seany
thanks, kind of helped.

-Sean

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Red Card Crew

You DID review the link to the Z forum right?