Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

nismo thermostat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you are not currently overheating, why would you even consider changing the thermostat? The engine is designed to run at exactly the temperature indicated on your current thermostat. Even with a premium enhanced super radiator, you shouldn't change the opening temperature of the thermostat. Since you have a better radiator, you are more likely to maintain the correct operating temperature. Cold is not better - optimum operating temperature is better. If you are tracking and unable to keep the temperature down to optimum, then you need a colder thermostat to give the coolant the extra cooling time in the rad, but in the long run, once the thermostat is open, if your radiator isn't up to the task, it's going to overheat anyway.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Ummm. Have you taken a look at the stock radiator and compared it to a quality aftermarket one?

Way to resurrect an old thread. If you really think that buying and installing a thermostat that opens up at a lower temp. is going to help you with cooling on stock parts, you are mistaken. But hey, go ahead and buy a $45 part and install it and tell us how it helps your stock setup
you didn't answer the question.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
If you are tracking and unable to keep the temperature down to optimum, then you need a colder thermostat to give the coolant the extra cooling time in the rad, but in the long run, once the thermostat is open, if your radiator isn't up to the task, it's going to overheat anyway.
great point.
what I'm saying is what makes us think that the radiator isn't up to the task of dropping extra temp if used at an earlier stage in the setup. a better radiator is obviously better but saying that a factory one "isn't up to the task" needs some evidence to back that claim.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civic4982
great point.
what I'm saying is what makes us think that the radiator isn't up to the task of dropping extra temp if used at an earlier stage in the setup. a better radiator is obviously better but saying that a factory one "isn't up to the task" needs some evidence to back that claim.
It's not about being able to "open up" the rad at an earlier temp/time it's about maintaining a cooler temp. All that's going to happen is that the stat will be open earlier but if you temp is beyond that point (which it will be), then where is the benefits--it's just going to stay open--?

And I'm not here to give you evidence. Just my .002. If you don't believe me, then more power to you; I don't care; go ahead and waste your money buddy.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 01-09-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:47 AM
If you are tracking and unable to keep the temperature down to optimum, then you need a colder thermostat to give the coolant the extra cooling time in the rad, but in the long run, once the thermostat is open, if your radiator isn't up to the task, it's going to overheat anyway.
++1

Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
It's not about being able to "open up" the rad at an earlier temp/time it's about maintaining a cooler temp. All that's going to happen is that the stat will be open earlier but if you temp is beyond that point (which it will be), then where is the benefits--it's just going to stay open--?

And I'm not here to give you evidence. Just my .002. If you don't believe me, then more power to you; I don't care; go ahead and waste your money buddy.
Thanks for your opinions without merit or evidence.

If you open up the fluids to the radiator at an earlier point then they will have more "time" in that cycle therefore be able to reduce temperatures at a better rate if the time is increased.

For a lawyer your logical reasoning is quite weak sir. I suppose that's what 3rd and 2nd tier schools are for.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by civic4982
Thanks for your opinions without merit or evidence.

If you open up the fluids to the radiator at an earlier point then they will have more "time" in that cycle therefore be able to reduce temperatures at a better rate if the time is increased.

For a lawyer your logical reasoning is quite weak sir. I suppose that's what 3rd and 2nd tier schools are for.
Hey thanks for the kinds words, I mean insult, you are very mature. I actually went to a very good law school, but hey thanks for sharing your incorrect assumptions.

Why am I arguing with you? If you don't like what I have to say, move on--buy the $45 parts and be happy. Don't know why u r picking a fight with me--Is your name gothchick by any chance?

Yes, the stat will allow the cycle to come on earlier, but what happens after that point, when you are tracking or the like? You are not going to be at a lower temp after spirited driving on stock radiator with an aftermarket stat--all that's gonna change is that your stat will open up earlier and stay open--It doesn't guarantee that the temps will drop once you reach a high temp with the sole addition of a stat. You've got to be kidding me. Are you that dumb?

You sir are quite dull if you think that you can buy a $45 stat and achieve cooler operating temps on stock cooling parts for a substantial time.

"Earlier" doesn't matter once your past a certain temp, which you will be after spirited driving.

And where's your evidence/merit? Why don't you prove me wrong? How come your statement does not need evidence to back it up? If you do some more research, I am confident that your "position" and line of thinking is in the minority. Go ahead and ask the heavy trackers on this site if you can achieve cooler operating temps' on a stock radiator and aftermarket stat in racing conditions.

Why don't you look at this:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...ght=thermostat

"The thermostat is not a maximum temperature regulating device. The thermostat is the cooling system's minimum temperature regulator"

"at 190-200 degree coolant temperatures, both thermostats (OEM or NISMO) will be at full open, and if you're running too high of a maximum temperature, then your cooling system is inefficient."

"The Nismo thermostat is just a small piece of the puzzle."

"The thermostats job is not to keep you engine at a constant temperature, just a minimum temp. Have you ever watched you coolant temps with an aftermatket gauge, not the stock one?"

"If you are tracking your car temps will rise past what the thermo is set to be fully open. Only of your setup is extremely efficient (rad, oil cooler, ducting), enough to keep temps below 180*f would the Nismo thermo be worth it."

"the car has no internal climate control system, which is basically what you are describing. Things like oil viscosity, build tolerances, rpm, airflow, etc etc all determine what temps the coolant in the engine gets to. The thermostats job is simply to open at a prescribed temperature such that coolant is allowed to flow"

"What guys fail to realize is that the stock Z's thermostat already opens quite low relative to many other cars on the market. Having used the NISMO t stat, I can say its only real use, beyond having another mod to put in your signature or to brag to friends about, is for those doing heavy duty, long session track days in very high heat. Other than that, it really offers no benefit whatsoever."

Now why don't you find some people that share your opinion instead of insulting my intelligence and education?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 01-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
If you are not currently overheating, why would you even consider changing the thermostat? The engine is designed to run at exactly the temperature indicated on your current thermostat. Even with a premium enhanced super radiator, you shouldn't change the opening temperature of the thermostat. Since you have a better radiator, you are more likely to maintain the correct operating temperature. Cold is not better - optimum operating temperature is better. If you are tracking and unable to keep the temperature down to optimum, then you need a colder thermostat to give the coolant the extra cooling time in the rad, but in the long run, once the thermostat is open, if your radiator isn't up to the task, it's going to overheat anyway.
Bingo.

Another option to the stat is a different pressure radiator cap. I believe running a 300ZXTT radiator cap can help keep coolant temps marginally lower and it's far cheaper and easier to install than a stat which if installed wrong, can cause pockets of air to acculumate in the cooling system causing overheating issues.

Last edited by DaveB; 01-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:38 PM
G&Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get a plenum coolant bypass valve. i just put it on mine and engine does not ping as much and feels alot smoother when redlinin

Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by G&Z
get a plenum coolant bypass valve. i just put it on mine and engine does not ping as much and feels alot smoother when redlinin
you have been here 4 years and still bump 2 year old threads with irrelevant advice

Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^What, you don't like to go "redlinin"? LOL

Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
While were kicking a dead horse around, my concern would be pinging to begin with on N/A engine.