Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Test Pipes / High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey suicidesam thanks for the link!

I am set to buy Fast Intentions but, I just want to know any power differences between HFS and TP, also which one does everybody recommened and where i can buy them.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by skyline03

I am set to buy Fast Intentions but, I just want to know any power differences between HFS and TP, also which one does everybody recommened and where i can buy them.

Thanks
www.FastIntentions.com or https://g35driver.com/forums/exhaust-vendor/139216-fast-intentions-2-5-true-dual-exhaust-intro-sale-super-sexy.html

i say HFC

TP have more power tho

Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks
you can buy straight from fast intentions or from thmotorsports.

the difference in gains are roughly 3-5hp in favor of test pipes.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM
one final question before i purchase is there a sound difference between the Test Pipes and HFC? When I herd the sound clip i couldnt really tell?

I am leaning towards HFC due to unburnt gas smell on TP's. TP's are always going to smell like unburnt gas correct?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
one final question before i purchase is there a sound difference between the Test Pipes and HFC? When I herd the sound clip i couldnt really tell?

I am leaning towards HFC due to unburnt gas smell on TP's. TP's are always going to smell like unburnt gas correct?
Thanks
tp are louder

and yes

Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The major downside to high flows is they have less actual catalyst inside and usually don't last very long compared to oem design.

And the felony tampering of emission system risk plus fraud charges if caught passing with antifoulers? Or selling a modified vehicle.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
are there any downfalls performancewise to getting test pipes because of a possible loss in backpressure, i just installed some on my friends car and he said that he thinks he felt a loss in low to midrange power but i think its all in his head

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Most back pressure is bad from a WOT standpoint, obviously at partial throttle and cruise it was accounted for by oem engineers to optimise mpg.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q45tech
The major downside to high flows is they have less actual catalyst inside and usually don't last very long compared to oem design.

And the felony tampering of emission system risk plus fraud charges if caught passing with antifoulers? Or selling a modified vehicle.
1. A quality set of HFCs should last just as long as oem (50k miles or so). U will prolong the life of ur cats if you have a catch can to minimize blow by and have a proper tune so u don't run too rich--those conditions are what causes substrates to fail
2. Your felony/fraud comment applies to tp's as well
3. Hfcs are greener for the environment

Last edited by jonnylaw; 10-13-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Oem cats usually function until 150k or longer even though they are only warranted to 70k/85k in certain states.
{I have 317k on my oem 1990Q and they still barely pass]

Many aftermarket thin film cats may not last 36k depending on flow and AF ratios.

Be sure to SAVE oem cats for reinstallion before you sell the car.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 PM
What are the best Test Pipes for the coupe that do not have any raspy noises. I have the HKS Ti Exhaust.

or

Should i get HFC like the ones made by crawford

Which are better?
Are you talking about removing the catalyctic convertor and replacing it with a pipe? If so, I don't know if you are aware but just to let you know, this could be extremely serious trouble for you. Removing O.E. emissions equipment, (such as a catalyctic convertor), is against federal law and carries a punishment of $4,500, 30 days in jail, or both. Also in states with emissions testing, (like California, where you live), the car will not pass annual emissions testing, your car could be red flagged and then you'd be in big trouble. I don't want to see that happen to you.

Modern vehicles are designed to run best with a catalyctic convertor and removing them can actually decrease performance, not to mention un-necessarily pollute the air we all have to breathe. It might not be worth all the risk.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Fast Intentions....

If not, Crawfords work well too.

Originally Posted by HiTechOilCo
Are you talking about removing the catalyctic convertor and replacing it with a pipe? If so, I don't know if you are aware but just to let you know, this could be extremely serious trouble for you. Removing O.E. emissions equipment, (such as a catalyctic convertor), is against federal law and carries a punishment of $4,500, 30 days in jail, or both. Also in states with emissions testing, (like California, where you live), the car will not pass annual emissions testing, your car could be red flagged and then you'd be in big trouble. I don't want to see that happen to you.

Modern vehicles are designed to run best with a catalyctic convertor and removing them can actually decrease performance, not to mention un-necessarily pollute the air we all have to breathe. It might not be worth all the risk.
Is this suppose to be a sarcastic post?

I have yet to hear someone actually get a 4500 fine and/or 30 days imprisonment for replacing the stock cats for HFC/TP's.

And yes, they will increase performance, not decrease.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Fast Intentions....

I have yet to hear someone actually get a 4500 fine and/or 30 days imprisonment for replacing the stock cats for HFC/TP's.

No, it's the law. Removing a catalyctic convetor and replacing it with a pipe is highly illegal. Yes, people have been caught and fined. Businesses have been shut down, people imprisoned.

Yes, removing parts designed to be there can reduce performance. Regardless, it's illegal. It's no laughing matter.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Fast Intentions....

"29 Should I remove the catalytic converter?
A:Not if you want to remain street legal, and unlike in the
early 70's, these devices have improved so much that the
loss because of it has become minimal or in some cases
removing the cat will rob you of power."

http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/vw...converter.html

Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
well jsut to let everyone know... i have a video of my car with FastIntentions exhaust with stock cats and no plenum.. vidoe of car with FI exhaust and Kinetix V+ plenum with stock cats.. and new video of car with FI exhaust FI testpipes and V+ plenum.. will put videos up soon so peeps can hear the difference...

also i dont think its illegal here on Guam to run testpipes or no cats... all my friends have no cats and its not even enforced at all... not even sure if there is a law? hell the police officers here race their cars at the drag strip...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Pipes / High Flow Cats