Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by HLMAX
You sure can feel the difference in viscosity between new oil and old oil side by side by rubbing them between you fingers. If you don't mind getting you fingers dirty, you should give it a try it.
Right. If you can actually feel a diff, it's more than likely trashed and has been damaging your engine for thousands of miles already

What is the point with Amsoil about changing filter without changing the oil? That totally defeats the purpose. If I am going to change a filter, I mind as well change the oil while I am at it.
Exactly how so? Change the filter and top it off with 1/2 quart of oil.

Filters get clogged at 5K? That is one dirty engine. I thought the VQs are modern NA, hi-tech, low emissions engines.
They are. There's a reason why modern engines have filters. Know why?

Proper oil viscosity and adequate quantity of oil is what keeps the moving parts in the engine from touching each other. What else it there to do? I'll save the analysis for R&D.
Actually film strength keeps moving parts from touching. Proper additive packages keep the oil from sludging. Contamination will greatly reduce these qualites and affect viscosity.

But maybe you should also taste the oil too. You might get the TBN number from it.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow, 15K intervals? I would think 5k intervals would be perfectly fine for synthetic... but I would NEVER take a chance on 15k intervals on the VQ.

I don't change my oil every 3 months like the manual states... but I do every 3750 miles, which comes along about every 4.5 months.

Besides, my dealer only charges me $35 dollars for the labor & oil; seeing how I use to have a small oil problem during my first few months, $35 every 4.5 months isn't bad at all.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always changed mine myself every 3-4K. I've just seen dealerships **** up **** too much, plus I'm particular and like to take my time and do it right. Dealerships are like McDonalds, they try to get you in and out as fast as possible, not much attention to detail.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ManwiththePlan
I've always changed mine myself every 3-4K. I've just seen dealerships **** up **** too much, plus I'm particular and like to take my time and do it right. Dealerships are like McDonalds, they try to get you in and out as fast as possible, not much attention to detail.
I used to work at the dealership. You can't generalize everyone. Some of the best techs comes from dealerships. Its all about the techs. You really think a mechanic from an indepent shop can really fix or know the in and outs of 1 car? I don't think so. They know the basics for all cars and makes. If they can't figure it out and fck it up. Guess where it goes after that? That's right...Back to the dealership. Its cheaper to take it outside and get it jacked up and then when it does you make excuses well I get what I paid for didn't cost me an arm and a leg...

Yes, dealerships have their share of retards working there but same goes with everywhere. The only reason why they get the most heat is because of their prices. A customer expects 110% because they are paying a lot for something. There are techs that open their own shops that were certified dealer techs. I usually recommend those techs because they know how to work on the cars and got tired of getting less then half of the pay the dealers give to theses guys. Just because the going rate of 100 hr for labor doesn't mean the techs get half of that...

But anyways...To the OP why change the oil at all? Why at 15k? Did your fingers tell you to change it at 15K why not 20K? What did you fingers tell you? I see no poinjt of changing it using your logic. Since the oil filter is already in bypass mode and you are running unfiltered oil thru the engine. There's not point of changing it? Why? 15K does the oil feels funny at 15K or the filter stops working? I don't know...Tell us...You should Youtube yourself testing the oil and let us decide if your reasoning is good...We'll be waiting for your video.

In the meantime I'm going to go rub my oil to see if its okay...

Old 10-07-2007, 01:22 AM
When in warrantee, I had the dealer do the changes at 7500 and I brought my own M1 and PureOne filter. When it went over 70K (now over 90K), I started doing the 15K intervals. BUT I have a remote oil filter mount with a PL30001 (4X the OEM filter area) spun on there. Just keep it topped up and all is well.

The top synthetics have the TBN reserves and detergency to go 15K, but the OEM filters don't. The auto manufacturers know this and if you are going to crawl under there to change the filter, might as well drain the oil too. Pretty simple.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nice response & true!

Originally Posted by g35rcr
thats fine you cheap as$...see how much oil you have left at 15k miles on this motor...go back to your kia
If you own a G35 you have a nice relatively well made car. If you care
anything about it you'll follow what the factory recommends. I change my
Red Line synthetic oil every 90 days because I give a **** about my G
and how it runs. WTF that's only $200 a year to insure my car will perform
as Nissan intended it to!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:03 PM
teamsolo.net im-integline
This thread is too funny. if he wants to do this let him!! who cares about his car? keep this as proof, when his motor blows (knock on wood bro it don't) then we know why. If not then maybe he is on to something that works for him.

None the less minewill be getting changed today.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:29 PM
What is with the 15K everyone quoting that I change my oil?
In fact, most of my oil changes comes around 6 month or about 9K with full synthetic oil.

Mobile 1 Extended Performance quoted 15K guarantee.
The Toyota factory quoted 12K normal and 9K heavy-duty (oil & filter) for my Cressida's 7M-GE 24V DOHC 3l L6.
What is wrong with questioning the super low 3K for the NA VQ? Only mindless sheeps would not question it.
Maybe you guys have lots of time on you hands and don't mind visiting your dealer regularly, or hang out under your car on a regular basis.

As for feeling the difference of oil viscosity SIDE BY SIDE with new and old oil; obvious most of you guy never touch the oil in your engine, if you have, you would definitely be able to feel the difference.

BTW, none of my past and present 9 cars have any oil related issues what so every. I check the oil in my cars frequently.

Last edited by HLMAX; 10-07-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by hai109
I used to work at the dealership. You can't generalize everyone. Some of the best techs comes from dealerships. Its all about the techs. You really think a mechanic from an indepent shop can really fix or know the in and outs of 1 car? I don't think so. They know the basics for all cars and makes. If they can't figure it out and fck it up. Guess where it goes after that? That's right...Back to the dealership. Its cheaper to take it outside and get it jacked up and then when it does you make excuses well I get what I paid for didn't cost me an arm and a leg...

Yes, dealerships have their share of retards working there but same goes with everywhere. The only reason why they get the most heat is because of their prices. A customer expects 110% because they are paying a lot for something. There are techs that open their own shops that were certified dealer techs. I usually recommend those techs because they know how to work on the cars and got tired of getting less then half of the pay the dealers give to theses guys. Just because the going rate of 100 hr for labor doesn't mean the techs get half of that..
I'll give you that..... about 1/10 are ok.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What does your TOYOTA have to do with our INFINITI?
Originally Posted by HLMAX
What is with the 15K everyone quoting that I change my oil?
In fact, most of my oil changes comes around 6 month or about 9K with full synthetic oil.

Mobile 1 Extended Performance quoted 15K guarantee.
The Toyota factory quoted 12K normal and 9K heavy-duty (oil & filter) for my Cressida's 7M-GE 24V DOHC 3l L6.
What is wrong with questioning the super low 3K for the NA VQ? Only mindless sheeps would not question it.
Maybe you guys have lots of time on you hands and don't mind visiting your dealer regularly, or hang out under your car on a regular basis.

As for feeling the difference of oil viscosity SIDE BY SIDE with new and old oil; obvious most of you guy never touch the oil in your engine, if you have, you would definitely be able to feel the difference.

BTW, none of my past and present 9 cars have any oil related issues what so every. I check the oil in my cars frequently.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I get comic relief from you guys that think the VQ is some sort of mechanical marvel. It's basically the same motor you'll find in a $24K Altima, Maxima, and Murano. There's nothing fancy about this engine.

As for oil changes, I'm probably screwed if I ever have a oil consumption problem because I DO NOT change my oil at the recommended intervals of 3750 miles. I think it's an utter crock of ****. Almost all manufactuers have extended the service interval of motor oil, many of which exceed well beyond 6K miles on conventional oil. The truth is oils are far better than they were 15 years ago and so are engines. I use Mobil 1 and I change the oil/filter every 5K-6K miles. My VQ burns about 0.5 quarts, often times slightly less, over that time frame and has done so since I bought it used nearly 3 years ago. Interestingly, my old VQ30 did the same exact thing that thing ran like a top up until I sold it with 119K miles and over 300 1/4 mile passes.

I think it's utter crap that these dealerships expect you to report in every 90 to 180 days. To hell with them. I do my own god damn maintenance on my car. I'm not paying dealer rates for simple work like oil, differential, and coolant changes. If I have a warranty problem, then you'll see me. My car's condition speaks for itself when I roll into a dealership with a pristine 5 y/o G35 which makes their used G35s look like POS'.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"To hell with them. I do my own god damn maintenance on my car. I'm not paying dealer rates for simple work like oil, differential, and coolant changes. If I have a warranty problem, then you'll see me."

Remember dealerships are independent businesses with a direct billing contract with Nissan Warranty nothing more.

They can refuse to accept you as a customer even if another divison of the same dearlership sold you a new car. They can suggest you go away and find someone else to repair yor vehicle. They can make you wait and generally prolong your agony.

Always nice to have friends that like you, who do warranty work.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
"To hell with them. I do my own god damn maintenance on my car. I'm not paying dealer rates for simple work like oil, differential, and coolant changes. If I have a warranty problem, then you'll see me."

Remember dealerships are independent businesses with a direct billing contract with Nissan Warranty nothing more.

They can refuse to accept you as a customer even if another divison of the same dearlership sold you a new car. They can suggest you go away and find someone else to repair yor vehicle. They can make you wait and generally prolong your agony.

Always nice to have friends that like you, who do warranty work.
Ya see, that's bull****, IMO. Dealerships have WAY too much independence from Infiniti. They can unlawfully deny your warranty for BS reasons and Infiniti will not lift a finger to verify that the dealership's warranty denial is justified. For a car guy like myself, I tend to know more than these service advisors do and we're basically powerless. It's unfortunate that Kansas City currently only has one Infiniti dealership and they're a bunch of idiots. I told them I wanted my TCM reflashed with the updated shift program (PN 23710-AM164) and they looked at me like a deer in headlights. I told them you simply plug in the Consult, grab the PN and download. It's as simple as that. Idiots.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Ya see, that's bull****, IMO. Dealerships have WAY too much independence from Infiniti. They can unlawfully deny your warranty for BS reasons and Infiniti will not lift a finger to verify that the dealership's warranty denial is justified. For a car guy like myself, I tend to know more than these service advisors do and we're basically powerless. It's unfortunate that Kansas City currently only has one Infiniti dealership and they're a bunch of idiots. I told them I wanted my TCM reflashed with the updated shift program (PN 23710-AM164) and they looked at me like a deer in headlights. I told them you simply plug in the Consult, grab the PN and download. It's as simple as that. Idiots.
How is that any different from the majority of dealerships spanning all car makers? Its an industry wide problem, Infiniti is simply following suite with the rest of the industry. While other car engines have extended their drain intervals, that doesn't mean it necessarily applies to the VQ, just because its a modern engine doesn't mean it is any easier on the oil. There are PLENTY of UOA's that have shown breakdown of oil within 3-4k on the VQ. Alot of us beat on our cars significantly more than the normal driver, so using the recommend drain interval on conventional oil is always a safe bet. Even on some synthetics its a good idea because of the low TBN numbers in the VOA's. Do you have a UOA to post evidencing your justification for your extended drain intervals on conventional oil? I know you love to have proof of things before making a claim.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I go around 5k-6k on synthetic but my coupe is just my daily and i never drive it very hard. Im usually down less than 1/2 qt by 5k. Just checked it and im down less than 1/4 qt in 3k.

Last edited by DriftDreamzSS; 10-08-2007 at 01:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.