Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
How is that any different from the majority of dealerships spanning all car makers? Its an industry wide problem, Infiniti is simply following suite with the rest of the industry. While other car engines have extended their drain intervals, that doesn't mean it necessarily applies to the VQ, just because its a modern engine doesn't mean it is any easier on the oil. There are PLENTY of UOA's that have shown breakdown of oil within 3-4k on the VQ. Alot of us beat on our cars significantly more than the normal driver, so using the recommend drain interval on conventional oil is always a safe bet. Even on some synthetics its a good idea because of the low TBN numbers in the VOA's. Do you have a UOA to post evidencing your justification for your extended drain intervals on conventional oil? I know you love to have proof of things before making a claim.
FYI, the new G35 with the VQ35HR, which has a significantly higher redline, has a normal oil service interval of 7,500 miles on conventional oil. The special molybdenum pistion coating, cylinder heads with reverse flow cooling, etc, that were used on the VQ35DE are still used on the VQ35HR and VQ37HR. Nissan saw it fit to raise their service intervals to reflect the industry standard. I've been working with VQs since 1998. I've seen more than my fair share of Blackstone oil reports for VQs. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that running quality conventional oil for 5k to 7K miles is going to harm anything in a VQ assuming you drive halfway sane. Now if you do a lot of cold weather and short drives, then you'd obviously want to shorten the oil change intervals since both of these driving types are hard on oil.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The owners manual has a statement that recommends 3750 IF engine longevity is a concern.

All they are saying is above 120,000 miles it would have been cost effective to spend an extra $60 per year or $600 over 10 years to have followed the earlier change interval...........since any internal wear will cost much more than $600 to repair!

If you don't plan on keeping the car past 120k then 7500 is fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change it every 5k synthetic or not. and then get an oil pan spacer and oil cooler

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
change it every 5k synthetic or not. and then get an oil pan spacer and oil cooler

Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
FYI, the new G35 with the VQ35HR, which has a significantly higher redline, has a normal oil service interval of 7,500 miles on conventional oil. The special molybdenum pistion coating, cylinder heads with reverse flow cooling, etc, that were used on the VQ35DE are still used on the VQ35HR and VQ37HR. Nissan saw it fit to raise their service intervals to reflect the industry standard. I've been working with VQs since 1998. I've seen more than my fair share of Blackstone oil reports for VQs. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that running quality conventional oil for 5k to 7K miles is going to harm anything in a VQ assuming you drive halfway sane. Now if you do a lot of cold weather and short drives, then you'd obviously want to shorten the oil change intervals since both of these driving types are hard on oil.
How about some scans with TBN's then? I like to see proof of said UOA's just like you like to see proof of dyno charts for performance mods.
Here's one of mobil 7500, which is a conventional that is very low on TBN, 1.8after only 4300 miles. First row on the left. Anything below 2.5 is generally accepted as having past its protection point in neutralizing the acids in oils which lead to sludge.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Change every 3K? What a joke.-uoa2.jpg  
Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
i get mine changed every 3k to 5k...if i forget or dont drive the car ill do it at 6k or 5ish months...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Read your maint interval manual...lol
7500mi under normal conditions, 3750 under severe conditions. Read what they state severe conditions are. This is with Dino and under Nissan/Infiniti's warranty guidelines.
Premier intervals is same as severe, only diff is the other things they check/replace more often than under normal operating condition maintenance service intervals.

Dino and Synth are much better today than back in the day. Agree 3750 with dino is a waste with todays advanced engineering in oil.
But on the flip side I'm old school, so with dino I feel secure at 3750 and Synth feel secure at 5000, only b/c of that ity bitty filter.
If filter were larger, I'd feel comfortable with 5000 on dino, 7500 on Synth, which I do on all my other vehicles depending which oil it's running.

Hell...I'm presently running Amsoil Series 2000 severe duty 0w-30 that they claim is good for 35,000mi normal and 17,500 severe conditions in my G.
LOL...no Effin way would I do that, even though they guarantee that. Who wants to bring in a third party (Amsoil) on warranty engine failure battle with Nissan/Infiniti. Not me...lol.
Just my 02.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I suppose if you really don't like to change oil and filters and want to run synthetic with a long drain interval, it's safest to install a bypass filter. What about magnetic filters? I first thought they were a gimmick but I've seen evidence supporting that they do trap tiny metallic particles that slip through the filter material.

I looks to me that some oils clearly perform better than others, but most are "good enough" especially if you follow the recommended drain interval.

Also I've always heard that most engine wear occurs right after a cold start and failure to let the engine warm up can shorten engine life. The type of oil you use could easily be a relatively minor factor in engine life.

I've used Mobil 1 for years partly because I could get it at a discount at Sam's Club and felt like even though it was almost twice the cost of good petroleum oil, I could leave it in twice as long. I'm going to follow the book with my G, but will use dino oil. Dumping synthetic after 3,700 mis just strikes me as an utter waste and any lubrication benefit from synthetic at such a short interval seems marginal or nonexistent given all the additives, etc., in the better dino oils.

As far as the manufacturers setting short intervals as a means of ginning up business for the service department, I don't necessarily believe that. My last car was a GM with the Oil Life Monitor and it usually didn't call for a change until 6-7k mis (and assumed you were using dino). Infiniti looks like they want to create a little business not so much with the oil changes, but with all the periodic "inspections" called for in the manual. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if these components really need to be eyeballed every 3700 miles.