Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004 | 11:50 AM
|
Banned
Re: Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch

I havn't completed the remote start on my car. I have been spending all my free time working on the windows up with OEM remote project. However, I did find this wire in my car and tested it and it tests fine. It should work without a problem.

Kevin
----------------------------------------------------------------
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe - FULLY loaded
Windows up with OEM Remote

Old 04-14-2004 | 10:56 AM

Cool. I'd be interested in purchasing a nice package deal on a OEM windows up and OEM remote start for the 6MT

-Chris

Old 09-20-2004 | 02:44 AM

KPierson,

Can you tell me where you purchased you service manual for your 04 6mt coupe? I tried to get one from my dealership and they told me that it is not available.

Thanks much,

Nelson

Old 09-20-2004 | 06:34 AM
|
Banned

I bought mine off of Ebay for $10-$15. You can download the ESM from the nissan technical website too, for around $20.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 05-24-2005 | 02:47 AM
anyone know if the wire for the neutral/ safety start switch is same on the 2005?

Old 05-24-2005 | 11:33 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by SammyJL
I have had the remote start installed on my coupe 6MT and the installers said that the way you are describing to sense neutral is not a very safe way to prevent the car from starting because it is just a mechanical sensor and could fail.

Instead they recommended an alarm that detects a pattern of events that are set by the driver before leaving the car to ensure that the car is in neutral. This is the best and safest way to remote start a manual transmission car.

The way that it works is that when you park the car you must depress the clutch pedal which will trigger the clutch pedal sensor, then you must pull the emergency brake lever which will trigger the emerg brake sensor and then turn the key off but the car will still be running. As soon as you open the door, if any of the sensors are triggered again, such as hitting the brake pedal or releasing the emerg brake, the remote start will not be engaged, otherwise as soon as you shut the door the engine shuts off and the alarm arms the car and the car will now remote start safely. This is a foolproof way to determine that the car is in neutral because there is no way that you would be able to leave the car while it was running if the car wasn't in neutral first.

I had this alarm/remote start installed in my car last Oct and it has worked flawlessly. There are some drawbacks, such as doing all of these steps to set the car in remote start mode, and then forgetting something in the car and having to go through all of the steps again, but that hasn't happened very often.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's
Can you tell me all of the hardware needed to do what you did? Brand name? Installation details, if you have them?

Old 05-24-2005 | 03:33 PM
I have the Compustar "Spread Spectrum" two way paging alarm and it's good for 1/4 mile range. This alarm is amazing. There is no other hardware that is needed, just the alarm package. It even features a turbo timer to allow my turbos to cool down while the car is armed. Best alarm that I have ever purchased and I have had many.

The wire that they are talking about does indeed work for sensing the neutral position. Because of the steps that you have to take when arming the car makes this a very safe remote start for a manual car. It's impossible to start the car while it is in gear.

Old 05-25-2005 | 12:11 AM
Or you can get a Clifford with "Inteli-start." Thats what I have on my 6mt. You can never start the car in gear with this alarm.
The way it works is when you're in the car and in nuetral you punch in a code (ex: :clifford (x2) then star). The alarm "clicks/responds", remove the key (the car will still be running) close the door then arm the car. Arming the car will lock doors, arm alarm, and shut off the engine.
The only downside is if you disarm car or the alarm is tripped, you must do the code process again for the remote start to work. It is set up this way because you could possibly disarm the car to get something and possibly knock it in gear.

I think its kool cuz you can shut off and start the engine with a key pad.

Old 05-25-2005 | 11:07 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by triniG35
Or you can get a Clifford with "Inteli-start." Thats what I have on my 6mt. You can never start the car in gear with this alarm.
The way it works is when you're in the car and in nuetral you punch in a code (ex: :clifford (x2) then star). The alarm "clicks/responds", remove the key (the car will still be running) close the door then arm the car. Arming the car will lock doors, arm alarm, and shut off the engine.
The only downside is if you disarm car or the alarm is tripped, you must do the code process again for the remote start to work. It is set up this way because you could possibly disarm the car to get something and possibly knock it in gear.

I think its kool cuz you can shut off and start the engine with a key pad.
pricing and normal install price?

Old 05-25-2005 | 11:35 PM
I got remote start, window roll up, and a tilt sensor. I got hooked up with the pricing but it's probably around $400-500.

Old 07-02-2005 | 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by KPierson
OK, cars in the shop now and here is what I found:

If you remove the panel under the passenger side dash you will see the ECM. Unplug the harness from the bottom of the ECM and pull back the wire covering to expose all the wires. There is a green\orange wire in this bundle that only sees ground when the car is in nuetral. This signal CAN be used as a nuetral safety start switch input for remote starters.

Hope this helps some people who want remote starters on their 6mts!!!

Kevin
thanks again for the link but what exactly do i do with the "green\orange wire"? i'm actually a bit confused here. Do i need to patch that wire with another wire from my alarm? thanks RX

Old 07-02-2005 | 09:09 AM
|
Banned
Your Viper alarm has a black/white wire coming off of it that is called a nuetral safety switch. This wire should be tied directly to ground to allow your alarm to start. If you detach the wire from ground and hook it to the cars PNP switch then the Viper's nuetral safety switch will ONLY see ground when the cars tranny is in N, thus only allowing the car to start when out of gear. The nuetral safety switch is basically a permissive input, that will only allow the car to start when there it is attached to ground!

Old 01-07-2006 | 05:15 AM
right on man! im an installer for bestbuy. Im just waiting for my car to finally get to me. hopefully by the end of this month! But there is away to hook up a neutral safty switch if the wire rest at 12vt when in gear. since the neutral safty switch needs to read a ground inorder not to start, what you would do is instead of running the safety switch to the wire, you use the hood pin wire and run a diode. Only down side to that is when you leave your car in gear and arm your car, it will show that your hood is open, but hey it works! I have the diagram at work. its somewhere along that line.

Old 01-07-2006 | 10:58 AM
|
Banned
Originally Posted by namrock
right on man! im an installer for bestbuy. Im just waiting for my car to finally get to me. hopefully by the end of this month! But there is away to hook up a neutral safty switch if the wire rest at 12vt when in gear. since the neutral safty switch needs to read a ground inorder not to start, what you would do is instead of running the safety switch to the wire, you use the hood pin wire and run a diode. Only down side to that is when you leave your car in gear and arm your car, it will show that your hood is open, but hey it works! I have the diagram at work. its somewhere along that line.

You've got things completely backwards and wrong. First off, the PNP switch on Nissans doesn't rest at 12vdc when the car is in gear. Its open when the car is in gear, and goes to ground when the tranny is in N. Second, every neutral safety switch input of every remote start I have ever seen needs a (-) signal before it will start, that is why you must hook the neutral safety switch up to something or the car will never remote start. Third, why even consider wiring straight to the hood pin? If for some reason the car doesn't have a neutral safety switch input you can at least wire a relay off of the PNP switch and the ignition (pin 85 to PNP, Pin 86 to ignition) that way the relay will only energize when the ignition is on, NOT all the time.

Best Buy Hack Installers... this why I would always take my stuff to Circuit City! Good luck with the install!

Old 01-16-2006 | 06:52 AM
hey hey hey not all bestbuy installers are bad..... but just finished my remote start on my 06 g35 and works like a charm. Right on about the neutral safty wire. Well i know that the neutral safty switch needs to see a negative to start. I was trying explaining that there is away to do a neutral safty switch on cars that do not have a factory wire that shows a ground when neutral, like WRX, which i was able to do using the hood pin since the car won't start when the hood is open, and since on the wrx when the car is in gear shows a 12vt, the alarm thinks its in gear, so it won't start. Did it on my friends sti, hences i think i know what im doing

Last edited by namrock; 01-16-2006 at 06:55 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Starts/Neutral safety switch