Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What's the best oil pan/spacer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best oil pan/spacer?

What's the best oil pan/spacer currently on the market for our cars assuming money is no object (Well.... it kinda is but play along)?

I'll be going FI soon and want to install one myself now.

Does a baffle design in the oil pan really help reduce oil surge under track conditions? Most of the aftermarket pans are not steal and are very easy to strip the drain plug... or so I've read. Are the spacers a better design?

What's the best and why?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
arc or aps pans-extra one qt of oil

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aps =)

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I'd say ours . In-Stock @ $149.00

The AAM Competition Oil Pan Spacer is perfect for F/I cars - its machined out of strong and lightweight 6061-T6 Aluminum, comes pre-tapped to accept -8an and 1/8npt fittings for oil lines and gauges, and adds an extra quart of oil capacity. The spacer also includes all necessary hardware as well as plugs for the taps.

We found some things lacking with other similar options on the market. These include: overall fit and finish, complexity of tapping, unconventional shape for temp/press guage and oil return lines for turbocharger/supercharger applications.

We machine the products in-house, so the quality control is handled strictly in-house.

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 12-04-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
I would have to say AAM,s also..........but of course i just bought one and got the braided line kit fot the greddy twins too.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
With the AAM what about the design makes it the best? So the baffles on the ARC and APS don't really provide any benefits?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Still2Slow
With the AAM what about the design makes it the best? So the baffles on the ARC and APS don't really provide any benefits?
The baffles help with cooling. The question is is the added cost worth it for you?
The AAM spacer is nice in that it comes pre-tapped for F/I setups however.
g/l with your purchase

Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
The baffles help with cooling. The question is is the added cost worth it for you?
The AAM spacer is nice in that it comes pre-tapped for F/I setups however.
g/l with your purchase
baffles are to help control oil slosh, the fins on the bottom help with cooling.
id say the best one depends if your going n/a or f/i. for n/a id go with an arc or aps style pan. f/i go aam spacer.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. Afer researching it more I think I'll go with the AAM spacer. All of the aftermarket pans are aluminum and it seems like many people eventually strip the drain bolt threads. I can't understand why APS or ARC didn't have a steel insert for the threads? I really don't want to install a fumoto drain plug (Not sure I trust it enough) so a spacer is the only option. Sometimes it's hard to beat the quality of OEM parts. I beleive the stock pan is steel. Steel FTW!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
As above, the baffles help the oil from sloshing around... To keep oil around the oil pickup during hard cornering / acceleration / deceleration.

The FIN's on the oil pans is for cooling... How much air is going over your oil pan to help the fins with cooling... well, not very much at all especially with the lower engine cover in place...

IF you are going to do an oil pan mod, I would get one with some kind of baffle. (a full pan replacement not a spacer)...

Old 12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jason@Riverside
As above, the baffles help the oil from sloshing around... To keep oil around the oil pickup during hard cornering / acceleration / deceleration.

The FIN's on the oil pans is for cooling... How much air is going over your oil pan to help the fins with cooling... well, not very much at all especially with the lower engine cover in place...

IF you are going to do an oil pan mod, I would get one with some kind of baffle. (a full pan replacement not a spacer)...
Yeah but they're all (weak) aluminum. After searching through this site and my350 it seems like everyone, even infiniti dealerships eventually striped the drain plug bolts on the ARC and APS pans. From what people said, it really didn't take much to do it either. Ideally, APS should have made an aluminium pan with a steel insert for the threads. I really don't know why they didn't.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The drain plug bolts on even the stock oil pans get stripped especially when the tech's dont take care... I have seen tech's impact gun drain plug bolts! Just because they are a tech doesnt mean they are all mighty and dont damage parts!

Drain plug aside... you dont want sploshing around in there... A drain plug improvement is not going to help with sploshing on any pan... A tech taking care on what they are doing will help with drain plug longevity on any oil pan stock or not...

Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Is is really that easy or are there really that many incompetent owners/mechanics on these two forums? Do you know if the APS drain is same size as OEM? BTW, I always change my own oil. I just want it to hold up 4-5 years from now.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
with the design of the VQ35 oil pan, losing oil to hard cornering or acceleration isn't an issue. The front sump is plenty deep enough to ensure that lots of oil is always sitting in the bottom of the pan. With the AAM design, you adding more depth to the sump and also placing the pickup deeper in the sump too. plus, it has all the ecessary fitting pre-tapped for you. The pther designs (aps and arc) add wings to the stock-style pan. this adds capacity, but it doesn't do anything to keep more oil around the pickup. sure they have some baffles in there, but those are going to do much IMO.

AAM pan spacer ftw!

BTW, I just installed a FUMOTO oil drain valve today. It's got a really nice ball valve. I don't expect any issues with it!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM
just to let you know, i installed a power enterprise knock off oil pan on friday and IT'S LEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not bad, but the aps oil pan is on back order, so i got this one for wayyyyyyyyyyyy less than what i would have paid for the aps. so, with that being said, spend a little extra and go with a name brand. it was a pin hole in the casting nothing a little jb weld wont fix but still....when it comes to oil.... it's better to pay the extra buck.i knew i was taking a gamble on the knock off pan but oh,well. ill post pics of the install later under a new thread so you guys can check it out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best oil pan/spacer?