Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HELP needed, installing Kinetix V+!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP needed, installing Kinetix V+!!

**UPDATED: Check Page 2**

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of installing my Kinetix V+ plenum, and I'm kind of stuck at one part. I'm about to put the new plenum on, and it's telling me to install the copper coolant bypass onto the two hoses that are below the TB. Originally, each hose went onto a separate nipple on the bottom side of the stock plenum. Now on the Kinetix V+ plenum, they include this bypass, however I'm not QUITE sure how it hooks up. Does the bypass hook up to the two hoses, and NEITHER of them hook up to the Kinetix plenum? Because on the bottom of the plenum, there is one connection/nipple, and the other one is just open sort of. Also, should I remove the gunk on the second picture that is on the underside of the plenum (where the gasket goes)? I'm going to go take pics now, I just don't want to f*** things up on my car. As of right now, I hooked up the two hoses with the bypass. PLEASE help me because I need to finish this tonight!! Thanks!

`John

Here is the bypass hooked up to the two hoses currently

Shot at 2008-01-09

Underside of the Kinetix V+ plenum, showing the two connections (one of which doesn't seem to be a connection)

Shot at 2008-01-09

Close-up of the two connections

Shot at 2008-01-09

Last edited by Dem1K; 01-11-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
anyone???

Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 AM
wow not one person could have helped me ... I was expecting an answer within an hour and obviously my hopes were a tad high

Anyways, I ended up hooking the two coolant lines together with the copper bypass, leaving the two connections on the plenum open (unused). This install was a bitch and a half, and I don't even know if everything turned out ok. I had to use a couple of different bolts in certain situations, so I hope that doesn't affect anything. In addition, I was aware that the stock cover would fit, but the V+ plenum doesn't have the two upper engine cover mounts :bummer:. I haven't had a chance to start it up since it was getting late, so we'll see tomorrow morning at 7:30am if I have a working car . Also, I tried to do the gas pedal ECU reset and I couldn't even get the CEL light to come on in Step 5.

Last edited by Dem1K; 01-10-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Ok, got an update. So I got to start the car for the first time this morning before leaving for work, since it was so late last night. Here's what happened:

I start the car, and the RPMs shoot up to 2k, and after a few seconds, it bogs down to about 1k and then shoots up to about 1400 and stays there. Every 20 seconds or so it bogs back down to 1k and back up to 1400 or so. MEANWHILE, the engine is making a VERY loud whine, which I was almost scared that I was waking up my neighbors. After a couple of minutes of it being very loud and doing the same thing, I shut it off and ended up taking my moms car to work until I can figure things out. So please give me your advice/input on this if at all possible. Thanks!

`John

Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say reset...

Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Also, I'll record the sound on my phone when I get home from work for you guys.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dem1K
Ok, got an update. So I got to start the car for the first time this morning before leaving for work, since it was so late last night. Here's what happened:

I start the car, and the RPMs shoot up to 2k, and after a few seconds, it bogs down to about 1k and then shoots up to about 1400 and stays there. Every 20 seconds or so it bogs back down to 1k and back up to 1400 or so. MEANWHILE, the engine is making a VERY loud whine, which I was almost scared that I was waking up my neighbors. After a couple of minutes of it being very loud and doing the same thing, I shut it off and ended up taking my moms car to work until I can figure things out. So please give me your advice/input on this if at all possible. Thanks!

`John

John,

You need to install the bolts inside of the oem lower collector half of the plenum. You have a vacuum leak, but by capping off these 6 holes where the oem upper plenum connected to from the top you will fix the leak. The fluctuation in RPM's is caused by this vacuum leak. The loud "whine" is created by a leak.

It appears as though you purchased this plenum used? If you cap off the holes and still have a VERY loud 'sucking' whine, than you have a leak elsewhere. Check to make sure all your bolts are tight, but not too tight. Also, make sure that you reconnect ALL hoses. The hose/tube that goes into the back side of the throttle manifold on the V+ will also cause such a noise if it is not connected. It WILL pop off if you do not securely fasten the clamp on it.

You do not need to use the chamber going through the V+ underside for the coolant hoses. The bypass valve does the job just fine. Do NOT remove the "gunk" from the underbelly. That is a sealant. The missing nipple most likely broke or fell out from the previous owner since KR does not send these things out missing parts.

I am VERY familiar with this plenum and have been using the Kinetix V series plenums for nearly 2 years now. I am currently running the V+.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm very glad somebody that has experience with this plenum has come with some good advice, thank you so much for your help. Ok so here goes...

Yes, I did purchase the plenum used. As for the bolts inside the lower collector, I installed those. I went over each bolt 3x to make sure they were all tight. I don't have a torque wrench for the upper bolts, so I used a 1/4" dr. socket wrench w/ a 3" extension and hand-tightened each bolt wearing a glove with one hand. I also made sure each hose was connected, and that the clamp was tightened to the very top (original locations). As for the two connections on the rear underside, it's ok if they're left unused, with nothing covering them? As mentioned, I installed the bypass valve and ran the two coolant lines through them, leaving the two connections on the lower-rear of the plenum unused. As for the sealant on the plenum, being that it was used, was missing portions of it, and I don't know if that matters or not?

The only other things I can think of are two bolts to consider. One bolt on the upper front left corner of the plenum was stripped, so I ended up using a similar hex key bolt that was included and tightened that down with a 5mm hex key. Next, the bolt closest to the TB (kind of ON the upper center portion of the plenum) is stripped. I used a 1/4" hand driver to make sure it was still tight, however, it just keeps spinning. Would these possibly be the issue, and if so, how do I fix it?

`John

Last edited by Dem1K; 01-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Contact Kinetix directly at Kinetixracing@hotmail.com

They will send you a replacement gasket for a small fee. As for the stripped bolts; were you able to remove them? Don't feel too bad about it happening. I've stripped 4 bolts over the years. You can pick up a "key" to reverse the stripped bolts out of the plenum if they are stuck in there, but make sure you cover all openings in the lower collector while doing any sort of work such as that while the lower plenum is connected to your engine. If that one particular bolt is stripped back by the throttle body, than this may very well be causing your problem.

Worst comes to worst, you may need to replace your lower collector if it isn't repairable. They do sell rethreading 'keys' as well, so once you get the bolt out you'll be able to see whether the bolt was stripped or the collector. It's more than likely that the bolt was stripped because these bolts aren't very strong. You should be able to pick the bolts at a nissan dealership (to avoid infinit) or check out boltsdepot.com.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Which replacement gasket are you referring to? Regarding the stripped bolts, I just screwed them down all the way. The one in the front I replaced with the hex bolt, which tightened down just fine by my hand. As for the one by the TB, it tightened a good amount and then it just started spinning more as if it weren't going down (it's all the way down though). I didn't take either of them out so I don't know. Am I going to have to remove the plenum again, or should I just try to fix the 2 loose bolts on the upper portion?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm referring to the gasket between the Kinetix and the lower collector (not the throttle body and throttle manifold). Replace all loose bolts. Any section that is not securely tightened down correctly will allow a vacuum leak. You'll want to replace the throttle body gasket as well if it is damaged. Once you get comfortable with where everything is and what everything is that you're actually modifying you won't have to worry about stripping bolts etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Well I have and am using the stock gasket that is between the kinetix and lower plenum if that's what you're referring to.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm referring to the 'cork-like' gasket attached to the Kinetix V+.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh the residue stuff that I was referring to?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
hey Saint, would you happen to have AIM?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP needed, installing Kinetix V+!!