Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Sythetic Fluid Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sythetic Fluid Conversion

This Spring/Summer my 05 G35 will be 3 years old with 13K mi. Despite being early on my 3 year 30K mi. service I have decided to change all my Fluids to a Full Synthetic Oil. I want to change my Gear,6MT Trans Oil,Rear Differential Oil & PS oil. I will have the coolant system flushed as well.

I am leaning towards AMS Oil for the 6MT ATF, Differential & PS Oil, However I need to know the specific type to BUY, because I have read that a friction modifier needs to be used.

1 What ATF/6MT oil should I BUY from AMS. [ does it come with the Friction modifier ]
2. What DIF. oil should I BUY from AMS. [ does it come with the Friction modifier ]
3. What PS fluid should I BUY from AMS.
4. What is a Good 5 year coolant. [ will use Redline Wetter Water ]

Thank you,

Old 02-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GCOUPE6MT
1 What ATF/6MT oil should I BUY from AMS. [ does it come with the Friction modifier ]

Do you have an Automatic Transmission or the 6MT? I can't tell from your posts which you have... but a 6MT tranny will not use ATF. If you have a 6MT, I'd go with the Nissan/Dealer MTF gear oil in that(that's what I did when I changed mine) because the recommended stuff is a strange mixed weight of 75/85 and I didn't want to risk voiding a warranty by using a 75/90 or some other common weight other than what the manual specifically calls for(Chances are they wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways, but I love my car too much to risk it for a few bucks savings). A lot of other people have been taking this same approach with the MT.

2. What DIF. oil should I BUY from AMS. [ does it come with the Friction modifier ]
You don't need to buy a friction modifier for our differentials unless you upgrade to an aftermarket one. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gere 75W90 in my differential and haven't had any issues with it yet.

3. What PS fluid should I BUY from AMS
Sorry, I can't help you with this one yet because that's on my list of things to do in the spring(as well as brake fluid).... and I haven't researched PS Fluid yet.

4. What is a Good 5 year coolant. [ will use Redline Wetter Water ]
Don't go 5 years on coolant... no matter what the package or product says. You're much better off just changing your coolant out every other year... it's a very simple process that takes about an hour or hour and a half if you do a very very thorough flush. I used regular green Prestone in my car. It's not necessary to use any special coolant in our cars like you have to with some vehicles such as certain Toyotas and some GM Vehicles.

You didn't mention changing your brake fluid and putting new fluid in the clutch reservoir. You should do those 2 things(particularly the brake fluid change). I would put the Brake fluid change right up there as a top priority too.

Just do a search... all of the information that you requested has been covered hundreds of times in other threads.

Last edited by partyman66; 02-17-2008 at 02:19 PM.