Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What exactly are we paying for with grounding kits???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I did not notice any difference with my Ground Gear kit on my 5AT. I took them off two weeks later. If you "think" it makes your car shift and perform better, then it's a good mod for you. I'm pretty critical of mods and will not sugar coat my experience. I happy to tell the world if a mod worked for my car or if it didn't, the compromises, the positives, etc.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has did the big 3 with one of this grounding kits.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Got the Stillen wires and I liked it, had that "i felt a difference" conscious for a while but realize it's not really anything, does look cool tho!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratm68
Can you elaborate on the difference that you felt and the difference in the construction of the wires? Other than length not being cut appropriately, can you give more details as to why you might think the contruction of these other kits to result in poorer result?
Most of my comments are on that thread.

The few Ebay kits that I saw were constructed of very generic parts, and the wires themselves were not from any of the quality manufactures, if they had any markings at all! With the price of copper these days, it's interesting that they can sell at near or even below the cost of quality components, so that should tell you something. Also, the crappy "gold" terminals they used were poorly attached, and some of the gold plating was actually cracking or flaking off! They cover the terminals up with either black shrink tubing or a nice rubber boot to cover the flaws.

I saw one of the so-called 10 wire kits for the G35, and compared to my GroundingGear kit, it actually covered fewer grounding points and the number of wires had little to do with how well the engine was grounded. That tells me that high wire numbers have become fashionable, and maybe is advertised as simply a selling point for inferior kits. I remember that before Gord did them, the only kits that were available had 5 or 6 wires.

The Stillen kit was the poorest performing of the buch that I tried. The wires were very thin (8 ga. I think) and the terminals were poorly attached. The grounding points of their kit, though custom, were very different than others I've seen. Not sure what the specific factors were, but I just noticed poorer performance out of this kit.

With all respect to the above poster that didn't notice anything, sometimes paying $800 for a ECU flash doesn't make a noticeable difference in some cars! So mods sometimes seem to depend on the vehicle. Seems however that GroundingGear feedback has been overwhelmingly positive from virtually all users, or there would be much more negative stuff posted. This feedback has been consistently good across a variety of different boards and not jsut here, so that tells me something.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
If you are going to do it, and I think 5AT owners gain the most, get the Grounding Gear kit. It's not real cheap, but not over-priced either.
Excellent quality. You can do it yourself, probably. To save money it is unlikely you will use as large or same quality cables and insulation, plus machine crimped copper connectors that will stand up to vibration, etc. You will have to pay to have someone do that for you unless you have access to a shop.
Using the GG kit I do notice crisper shifts, and better response to manual shifts as well. These are refinements folks, not OMG changes.
Like fine tuning.
Just like installing the 5/16" MD plenum spacer to me half the benefit was in actual power (small but noticeable) but the other half was throttle response.
It just feels better.
All these things add up to make the car nicer to drive not just blast the doors of some punk in the 'hood. (of course that can be fun too..)

Last edited by fortified; 03-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM
I have Gordgee's 10 Wire Kit. I've had it on my 04 coupe and now on my 06 coupe. Shifts quicker and smooth. I like it. Around 160 for the complete kit. I'll vouch for Gordgee's kit.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
sxexcx, grounding kit FTW. looks slick! and good price too.

06 AT

Everything as advertised. Like putting on the MD spacer, I really felt the difference once I got it installed. Like another member pointed out, refinement is the word. Idle about the same, but driving wise its definitely smoother. And in Manumatic Mode it's almost night and day. I drove about 2 hrs before I got it installed, and drove it about another 1hr afterwards so I had pretty good immediate comparison of the mod.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Agreed! A good kit can make a definite difference that is immediately noticeable!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
price and description sounds very good !

The Japanese have long been using a method called "earthing", where they take large gauge cable and connect it through various points in the cars engine bay to help the electric current ground itself for more efficient flow.

Through time the trend eventually made it to the USA where we call it "Grounding". What is a Ground Kit? The Intense Motorsports Racing (IMR) Grounding Wire Kit is made up of large stereo quality 4 Gauge high conductive cable that has industrial crimped and sleaved copper ends to bolt to the chassis of the car. The reason copper is used is for a higher conductivity rate.

What does a Ground Kit do? As tested by numerous respected tuners, magazines, and shops, a ground kit does what you want, add power. Results vary depending on car but here is the average results:

- 3-5 Horsepower increase

- Increased Fuel Mileage

- Better Electrical Current (Headlights Brighter, Stereo stronger, etc.

- Dress' up your engine bay!

Why buy a IMR Ground Kit compared to others? They use a loop system designed specifically for the 350Z / G35. Meaning it starts at the negative terminal and goes from one spot to the next in series. Connecting to all major conducting pieces of the car, IE: throttle body, engine block, firewall, fender, transmission, and such. The IMR Ground Kit uses a TRUE 4 Gauge wire where others use a smaller 8 guage. IMR Ground Kit are oxygen free meaning perfect electrical current. The IMR Ground Kit are available in 4 colors to match your cars style where some come in 1 or 2 colors.

The best advantage of the IMR Ground Kit is simply the price, presentation, and purpose. Less expensive then the competition. Comes in its own box with all hardware and directions, and produces more efficient power then others.