Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoobybri
Yeah, I can't see the pics on this page either. Very interested!
what's your email.........i just sent pics to 6-sigma.........

Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 AM
could someone post them pls? im curious

Old 03-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks klg35

Attached Thumbnails increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic-stock.jpg   increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic-file000.jpg   increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic-file001.jpg  
Old 03-19-2005, 02:39 AM
okay, what is that piece?

The piece that feeds the airbox is curved/curled, where did you get that? or is it an OEM modified part?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2005, 01:32 PM
blackonblackg35- thanks for posting for me.....i'll say it again, i'm a computer illiterate...

ok, that curled piece is the actual piece that was in front of the "power duct".....i just moved it to the top of stock "enlarged" airbox...double sided tape works great to keep it in place......in the middle pic, you can see a screw on the bottom left of the curled rubber piece, it is there to keep it attached to box, otherwise it kinda hangs in no-mans land............in case ya'll wondering about the 2000/1/8 date, did i say i was electronic illiterate too?

bottom line: this opened the front of stock airbox by almost 50%, and still maintaining oem ram effect...........engine now injest more outside air, which is a good thing........the snarl from intake is now a mean sounding growl at around 3k+rpm, it'll turn heads, no kidding.........
cost,(monster garage voice over)...nada, zilch, free, cha-ching$$, zero dollars......
enjoy.....

Last edited by klg35; 03-19-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should take a camera, set it up on timer and flash, close your hood with the camera inside pointing towards the intake, and then gently close the hood so that a picture is taken when the hood is sealed to verify that it is sealing and not just sucking radiator air from the top. I would do this but out of town now.

Also, if you remove that "thing" at the bottom of the stock airbox, either seal it or run tubing down the the front valence window and create an airtight seal against the window and airbox. Doing anything other than those two options eliminate the stock ram air setup.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by csukoh78
You should take a camera, set it up on timer and flash, close your hood with the camera inside pointing towards the intake, and then gently close the hood so that a picture is taken when the hood is sealed to verify that it is sealing and not just sucking radiator air from the top. I would do this but out of town now.

Also, if you remove that "thing" at the bottom of the stock airbox, either seal it or run tubing down the the front valence window and create an airtight seal against the window and airbox. Doing anything other than those two options eliminate the stock ram air setup.
Hi again.

After trying Pop Chargers, Stillen air box, etc......

I think I was one of the people who pioneered this mod a year or so ago.

I know that mine seals against the hood with the type of foam I used around the top. You can see the flat spots where it seals to the hood.

Also, I tried all kinds of variations with the lower resonator....added hoses....plugged it up....
I honestly think it works better with it just removed and open. It seems to create a low pressure type vacuum....kinda pulls the air thru the box.

I also have my Z Tube and air box wrapped with thermal insulation to reduce heat soak in the hot summer.

Anyway....it works great for me.
JMO

Attached Thumbnails increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic-mvc-007s.jpg   increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic-business-dept.jpg  

Last edited by Brando; 03-19-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The thermal wrap is a great idea. Works on headers too. However, admittedly it isnt the most attractive thing in the world. I saw something called ceramic tape before and haven't found it since... I disperses ambient heat almost magically. You simply wrap the thing up and it looks clean...paintable too.....anyone heard of this stuff?

Old 03-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Hi again.

After trying Pop Chargers, Stillen air box, etc......

I think I was one of the people who pioneered this mod a year or so ago.

I know that mine seals against the hood with the type of foam I used around the top. You can see the flat spots where it seals to the hood.

Also, I tried all kinds of variations with the lower resonator....added hoses....plugged it up....
I honestly think it works better with it just removed and open. It seems to create a low pressure type vacuum....kinda pulls the air thru the box.

I also have my Z Tube and air box wrapped with thermal insulation to reduce heat soak in the hot summer.

Anyway....it works great for me.
JMO
that foam you used would definitely seal better than the one that came off the power duct.......i just used that one cause it came with the car
yep, talking about this topic has me time-warping back a year or so too

Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
all the old pix links were broken when the site was upgraded.

Unless someone reposts, they images are gone.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that really sucks for all of us 2005 owners....well atleast we get mp3 playback on our stereo!!

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 03-20-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
that really sucks for all of us 2005 owners....well atleast we get mp3 playback on our stereo!!

The 2005 intake is different than 03/04? This cannot be done on an 05?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
How is it different? I was just currious, I have an 05. The above pics didnt show a before pic on the 04.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by byount
How is it different? I was just currious, I have an 05. The above pics didnt show a before pic on the 04.
Have you checked your 05?

Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I did this mod a few months back. I actually made a post about it and the data logged numbers I got with it. You guys are right, the sound is great. I really doubt it adds anymore power, but the sound is worth it. I think the VQ feels more responsive, but it could be all in my head because of the increased sound. When my father was riding with me a few weeks back, I went WOT on an entrance ramp and he immediately asked if I had put on an exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: increase airflow to stock airbox mod pic