Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

well, oil consumption has claimed another..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry well, oil consumption has claimed another..

I just picked up a 2006 6mt with 13,500 miles, was due for oil change at 16,164 miles (according to sticker in window) I changed at 16,000 even just to get on an even schedule. It was very low at that point, almost not on the stick. I thought it was somehow a fluke considering when I purchased the car the oil level was perfectly fine. (you know, new toy, driving it alot, these first 2,500 miles went by in about two weeks)

Just last night a distinct clatter developed almost instantly. I checked oil level and it was low again. I am now nearly to the 19,000 mile oil change. So today I started reading about the TSB on the oil consumption issue. I did like it said, topped off the oil and restarted engine, the noise still exists.

I am confident when I take it in I will not be bringing it home, the noise is that noticable, and as stated in the newest TSB (May 20, 2008) they will not do an official "consumption test" due to abnormal engine noise.

Hopefully they have had enough experience with this obvious flaw that they do not fight me. They owe me an engine, just as they have QUITE A FEW OTHERS as well. I can prove car has been maintained, the dealer where I bought the car did the oil change prior to my purchasing the car (sticker in window) and the dealer I will be taking the car to is the dealer which originally sold the car so they should have all previous maintenance records. I still have receipts for oil and filter from the one change I personally performed.

I will definitely report back with my experience. There seems to be quite a few cases of rev-up engine failures due to O.C. still emerging.

Let me know if any of you know of anything that I can do to speed the process up! Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
relplacing the engine on hearing a noise alone withot a consumption test?? Doubt it..u have a link to that latests tsb? G/L

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
to appear better, put 6 empty oil quarts in the trunk and show them youve burned all that on the way to the dealer.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G/L dradef. Hopefully your dealer will easily support your claim.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 AM
yes, as outlined in the new TSB (which I found posted by V35 Skyline GT on this forum) if there is abnormal engine noise upon filling/changing oil they SHOULD jump directly to engine replacement. The noise is that pronounced, I am that confident they will not want me to drive the car ANY more after they hear it.

My measurements place me far above the 1qt/1,000 miles requirement. This was completely unexpected. Without prior knowledge of this flaw, how was I to expect a car with 13,500 miles to use THAT much oil between changes?! It ran so well before this!

I have another car to drive until I can schedule a service appointment, hopefully I can get it in later today.. Bad thing is the closest dealer is 50 miles away.

<a href="https://g35driver.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90206&d=1211811788">ne w tsb here</a>

Thanks for the support, Greg

Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Update:

I am scheduled to take it in at 4:00 this afternoon. I alerted them that I don't feel comfortable driving the car with it making the noises that it is, and they said if they deem it undrivable they will give me a loaner, if not I will have to drive it home...

YIKES, like I said, it is 50+ miles one way. I will be pretty mad if I get halfway and completely toast the engine.

edit - P.S. This dealer said they have not yet had to change a single engine because of oil consumption. WISH ME LUCK!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
good luck man, fvcking infinitis, whats sup with all these stupid stock problems, i love my 03 eh

Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
wow, it clearly states that it the TSB. GOOD LUCK op. If this dealer rejects it, take it to another. Bring a copy of the TSB and request a g37 for a loner

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
wow, what a bad day.

ok, this is a long story, so I will summarize....

I checked my oil one more time before leaving for the appointment, all topped off, good to go. I got 10 miles from my house and it started running so badly I had to pull into a parking lot. When I first left home it only ran a roughly above about 4,000 rpm. About 9.5 miles in to the trip it ran like crap even at idle, I pulled off the highway as soon as possible. Sounded like a BROKEN ROD or something flopping around in the block!!! It did NOT, dump oil on the ground or on the road, so the block was not penetrated, but it sounded BAD.

I called them to alert them that I would be late to my appointment. They wanted to send a towing company from 40 miles away to get me. I didn't feel like sitting there for about an hour waiting so I called a local company, and rode with them to the dealer, got there 10 minutes before they closed at 6:00.

Infiniti covered the tow fee even thought it wasn't "their tow company", and gave me a G35x for a loaner. (no huge complaints there)

So, clearly my engine is ROYALLY screwed. No question about it. I knew it was not right but I thought it would at least last the trip there today!!!!

If they try to deny me I will have it towed to another dealer in an instant.

It has been a terrible, terrible day

Cheer me up guys!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
sorr to hear that. I cant beleive a 06 with low mileage is having those kind of issues. Its really making me think twice before i buy one. Good luck with everything.Keep us updated

Old 05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Proves that an engine can be destroyed by a previous owner in 13,500 miles!
Without all the previous history that's all that can be said.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
You are such an Infiniti fanboy

I hope that there are service records from the dealer showing regular oil changes, just to prove you wrong.

I'm sure there's no possible way the Rev-Up motor is to blame. Oh I forgot, no one drove the crap out of their non rev-up VQs in the first 13,500 miles. It's that gol'darn fancy name "rev-up" that makes everyone want to hit redline from every stop and never change the oil.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
More like the dealer knew it was a crap engined G, put 5 qts of oil in it and sold the POS to him.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Sure, anyone <i>could</i> destroy just about any engine in 13,000 miles if they were trying hard enough... On the other hand, there is clearly something wrong with these engines. Nissan justifying it consuming up to 1qt/1000 miles as "OK" is proof of that! I have <u>never</u> had a car burn that much oil! (And there is much to be said in that statement, one of my past cars was a $500 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass!)

Now, for an update. They inspected my car and left me a voicemail this afternoon. They have concluded that it does in fact need a new engine. They ordered the engine and expect it to be here in the next few days. I will call them back tomorrow to get more details. (they are closed for the day)

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by dradef
Now, for an update. They inspected my car and left me a voicemail this afternoon. They have concluded that it does in fact need a new engine. They ordered the engine and expect it to be here in the next few days. I will call them back tomorrow to get more details. (they are closed for the day)
Glad to hear they're giving you a new engine. I really don't see any way they couldn't have. Better get comfortable with your G35x - could be a few days before you get your car back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: well, oil consumption has claimed another..