Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

radiator fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiator fluid?

Is it necessary to put the recommended "Nissan J fluid" in the radiator?
I was going to put some Royal Purple Ice in with typical Preston 50/50, but I wanted to double check to make sure it really wont damage the radiator.

Also, while I'm asking. Is it ok to put the Royal Purple or another Synthetic Tranny fluid in, as well?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jibnasty
Is it ok to put the Royal Purple or another Synthetic Tranny fluid in, as well?
somehow i think mixing tranny fluid with radiator fluid would be a bad idea in so many ways.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
If you are under warranty I would stick with the J-matic. There is a law stating they can't require you to use their parts or fluid while under warranty, but they might just do that and make you sue them. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by flydiom
somehow i think mixing tranny fluid with radiator fluid would be a bad idea in so many ways.
You, sir, are an idiot.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
You, sir, are an idiot.
his joke is not that far from the truth. The nissan transmission fluids used in the G is called Matic-J.

Op, you can use whatever coolant you wish, its really not that big of a deal

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nissan Matic J is the automatic transmission fluid, not the coolant. ATF in the radiator would be very bad. Where are you reading that Matic J goes in the radiator? I think you got something confused. The OEM coolant is Nissan OEM coolant, definitely NOT Matic J Automatic Transmission Fluid. Go with the the royal purple ice and prestone 50/50 in the radiator and save yourself a very expensive cooling system repair bill

Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What is the OEM spec coolant anyway? ie.. what is the recommened aftermarket spec coolant?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
You, sir, are an idiot.
I am pretty sure he was joking (thus the laughing smiley face). Don't take it personal. He is referring to your last question where you state you want to put in Matic-J, but you don't say where after you were previously discussing putting fluid in the radiator.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What is the OEM spec coolant anyway? ie.. what is the recommened aftermarket spec coolant?

Anyone wanna answer this please?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:30 AM
From the 2004 service manual:

Use Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/ Coolant or
equivalent mixed with water (distilled or demineralized).
Refer to GI-45, "RECOMMENDED CHEMICAL PRODUCTS
AND SEALANTS" .

Not sure what they were pointing to in GI-45, there was no mixing formula.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
You can use any coolant you like as long as it meets the temp requirements. Just make sure to flush it when the time is up.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Not trying to confuse things, but the cost of a gallon of Nissan coolant is about $34 from the dealer so I'd sure like to know what a good aftermarket coolant is.

I'm pretty sure there are specific coolants for aluminum and non-aluminum radiators. Anybody know what the stock radiators are made of?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Up to a point the water quality is more important than the coolant brand!
Ethylene Glychol is ethylene glychol. Now the 3% additive package has a finite life.
Luckily an all aluminum system so the hoses may fail before the distilled water and coolant do.
But still important to analyse the mixture to maintain minimum functioning additives at least every few year [30k].

Budget for a new radiator every 10 years or 150k if you desire as new cooling.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it necessary to put the recommended "Nissan J fluid" in the radiator?
I think I understand the OP's confusion with the question. The OEM yellow placard on the radiator support indicates Nissan J Matic fluid for the transmission. The placard is located almost directly in front of the radiator cap.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is a not so simple question as simply trading one coolant for another. On the one hand, many folks believe that Nissan "requires" phosphate and silicate free coolants. The Nissan L248SP Advanced Formulation P/N 999MP-AF000P says " - no amines,no silicates,which may harm water pump seals, or borates that may cause aluminum corrosion and pitting. L248SP Engine Coolant provides long lasting protection for aluminum,cast iron, and all other engine components." Also " always use deminerlized or distilled water. However, there's other info that suggests that the Japanese "big-three" subscribe to a hefty dose of phosphate in their coolant as their quick-acting hybrid chemistry. OAT can take up to 5,000 miles to build up its full depth of plating on bare metal cooling system parts. Should a stray particulate "scratch" the OAT coating, the dissolved phosphate will immediately act as "bandage" protection until the OAT can re-establish itself.

So, the simple question may require more expertise than exists between those of us that have answered so far. I would contact an Infiniti dealership and ask the service managers opinion.... in fact, I'd call 2-3 since they often disagree. In the end, I

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: radiator fluid?