Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

tiptronic question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tiptronic question

this may sound silly, but in tiptronic mode can you downshift? or should you just let the computer do it for you? this is my first post, but i have read several related threads but didnt see any mention of downshifting.

i just got an 06 g35 coupe and wanted to play around with this feature. also, when shifting for increased mpg what rpms do you usually shift at?

thanks for any input!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont think it will downshift on its own and you should probly shift at 3k for better mpg.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
the best mpg will most likely be when you leave the car in D. it seems like it always wants to upshift asap. as far as downshifting automatically in manual, it won't do it unless it's absolutely necessary (ie, coming to a stop or slowing from 80 to 20 it won't leave it in 5th.)

Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by humara
the best mpg will most likely be when you leave the car in D. it seems like it always wants to upshift asap. as far as downshifting automatically in manual, it won't do it unless it's absolutely necessary (ie, coming to a stop or slowing from 80 to 20 it won't leave it in 5th.)
It's been proven that D eats more gas than tiptronic. I would keep it in tip, and downshift normally, it doesn't really downshift for you, it assumes that you know what your doing.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:01 AM
i would let it downshift its self when you are driving normally

Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You can downshift on your own, or the car will automatically downshift as you slow down.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks for all the responses guys. i bought the car used w/o an owners manual so your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
If you type Infiniti owners manual into googles search engine the first link is Infiniti publication. Then you hover over publications and there is a choice for owners manual. Its an online manual you can save to your computer.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 AM
hmm now that u mention it and since were on this topic, i also recently purchased a new 06 AT. Anyways my question is, when in MM per say im in 1st gear and step on the pedal and forget to shift up will my engine blow or does the computer take over like in certain cars and automatically shift for u at redline? thnks

Old 06-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprtan
hmm now that u mention it and since were on this topic, i also recently purchased a new 06 AT. Anyways my question is, when in MM per say im in 1st gear and step on the pedal and forget to shift up will my engine blow or does the computer take over like in certain cars and automatically shift for u at redline? thnks
It will not upshift for you if you're in MM. You're engine isn't going to blow...you'll remember to upshift when you hit the rev limited.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by Calvin
It will not upshift for you if you're in MM. You're engine isn't going to blow...you'll remember to upshift when you hit the rev limited.
this is probably going to sound noob but bare with my newness to this whole forum thing, by "rev limited" do you mean the start of the red line or then end of it.

on another note speaking about engine blowing how long can the motor stay in the red zone or how high can it go b4 blowing.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sprtan
this is probably going to sound noob but bare with my newness to this whole forum thing, by "rev limited" do you mean the start of the red line or then end of it.

on another note speaking about engine blowing how long can the motor stay in the red zone or how high can it go b4 blowing.
You can take it it bit past the beggining of the redline... at least in my 04 you can and im asuming its the same for all model years. The rev limiter he is refering to is when you get to a certain RPM the car will not continue to rev up but rather bounce off the limiter. Im not sure exactly how it works I think it cuts the gas for a split second allowing for the RPM to fall. The motor sounds lie ba-ba-ba-ba LOL beleive me you'll know exactly what Im talking about the first time you hit it

Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If u forget it in first and dont shift this is what you'll hear very quickly:

Vroooooom *POP*POP*POP*POP*POP*POP*... Thats the engine bouncing off the rev limiter or redline, whatever YOU want to call it.

You will get better gas mileage in triptronic... Best way to do it is while driving with a LIGHT foot, keep tapping the shifter in the + direction until it shifts up into the next gear... "D" rapes your gas because it holds the gears longer and over exagerates the throttle position.

Only downshift when you're trying to race/ drive aggressive or if you want to slow down with using your brakes ( usually when you want to time a red light changing into green).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tiptronic question