Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Calling all 6mt Rev-Up Engine Owners..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Calling all 6mt Rev-Up Engine Owners..

If you were aware of the oil consumption issues would you go back and purchase something else?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a 6mt 350z/g35 with the rev-up motor.

Any regrets? Knowing the possibilities of having oil consumption issues would you go ahead and purchase one?

In addition to your opinion it would be nice to know your experiences with the oil consumption issue.

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want a manual, don't let the oil consumption stop you from getting one.. although its a PITA to get a new engine, it's better to get what you want then to always have that thought of "what if I bought a 6mt" or "this auto is boring"

Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
i have a revup engine 6mt, i started the oil changes to see if there is consumption, and i stoped before the test was completed because each time the dealership screwed up my car, but go for it man, most of the time there will be no probs,

Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by elayman
if you want a manual, don't let the oil consumption stop you from getting one.. although its a PITA to get a new engine, it's better to get what you want then to always have that thought of "what if I bought a 6mt" or "this auto is boring"
I'm definitely not getting auto. Options right now are 07+ G35 Sedan, 07+ 350z, 07+ G35 Coupe... All 6mt's..

I really want the G35 Coupe 6mt but I don't want to spend all the money if it is consuming too much oil. If I bought it new then maybe I would purchase it. I'll be buying a low mileage car with around 15-20k miles. I wouldn't be good if the previous owner beat on the car during its break-in procedure.

Decisions...

Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption on my 2006 g35 6mt

Hi... On my 06 g35 6mt, I watch my oil like a hawk and get about 2600 miles/quart... Infinity told me that anything over 2000 miles/quart was considered good... And I've heard on message forums like this that a problem engine is one that consumes oil at 1000 miles/quart or worse... Do be aware that at least on the g35 that the L to H marks on the oil dip stick represent TWO QUARTS, not one... Not even the service manager at my local infinity dealership knew that... He told me it was ONE quart even after he went and confirmed that with one of his technicians.... WRONG!!! Scary... When I added oil to my car the first time, I put in a measured amount of ounces and it only came up half the distance I expected, thinking at the time that the L to H marks represented one quart... Anyway, I since proved many times over that the L to H marks are TWO quarts... When I change oil I always put in 4 quarts first and then look at it... After it settles that puts the oil dead on in the middle of the dip stick, half way from L to H... Then I add one more full quart (for a total of 5) and that puts it right at H, again proving that the L to H is TWO full quarts... That's how it is on the 06 g35 6mt... Just so you know... As for the oil consumption, I wish it was better but it appears to be at least ok, considering that this engine is a known oil consumer... bob..

Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it. It's under warranty, you're OK. Just keep a close eye on how much (if any) you're burning. I went through 2 oil consumption tests with no problems according to the dealers.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Mine has been one of the least troublesome cars I have ever owned.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... On my 06 g35 6mt, I watch my oil like a hawk and get about 2600 miles/quart... Infinity told me that anything over 2000 miles/quart was considered good... And I've heard on message forums like this that a problem engine is one that consumes oil at 1000 miles/quart or worse... Do be aware that at least on the g35 that the L to H marks on the oil dip stick represent TWO QUARTS, not one... Not even the service manager at my local infinity dealership knew that... He told me it was ONE quart even after he went and confirmed that with one of his technicians.... WRONG!!! Scary... When I added oil to my car the first time, I put in a measured amount of ounces and it only came up half the distance I expected, thinking at the time that the L to H marks represented one quart... Anyway, I since proved many times over that the L to H marks are TWO quarts... When I change oil I always put in 4 quarts first and then look at it... After it settles that puts the oil dead on in the middle of the dip stick, half way from L to H... Then I add one more full quart (for a total of 5) and that puts it right at H, again proving that the L to H is TWO full quarts... That's how it is on the 06 g35 6mt... Just so you know... As for the oil consumption, I wish it was better but it appears to be at least ok, considering that this engine is a known oil consumer... bob..
Thanks for the information. Your oil consumption issue isn't as bad as others on the forums.