Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Plenum Spacer Warranty Issue?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenum Spacer Warranty Issue?????

I just got my 05 g certified with the elite warranty and got the Motordyne iso thermal copper 5/16 spacer and ztube and k&n. I put the k&n and ztube in but i am holding off on the spacer because i am not sure if it will void my warranty. Anyone have an idea of what the dealer could say that the spacer has made fail?
Thanks.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Good Question....!

Not familiar with aftermarket warranty's but I know they can be chicken
**** when it comes to there coverage/paying for repairs. Friend had a Ford
4X4 truck with a blown engine and because he installed larger tires than
OEM his claim was denied....in reality tires had nothing to do with Fords poor
engine design. Spacer will make a major difference in performance, apparently any mod will void aftermarket warranty's you may a well install
the spacer and enjoy your G35.
Gary

Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pearl

Your issue is going to depend entirely on the dealer. Some service departments will be very picky and may say that any mods will create problems with your warranty. Some wont. The air filter probably wont cause problems as it is very common. The spacer is slightly more intensive than the air filter but than again it doesn't really stick out like a supercharger sticking through the hood. Basically, my point is this. The dealer doesn't do an invasive inspection of your complete car before deciding to warranty something. If you go in with an intake related problem they will likely say the car needs to be returned to OE specs which will probably be at your cost. Call a few dealers and quiz them before you do it. After all you're stuck with your local dealer.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Not familiar with aftermarket warranty's but I know they can be chicken
**** when it comes to there coverage/paying for repairs. Friend had a Ford
4X4 truck with a blown engine and because he installed larger tires than
OEM his claim was denied....in reality tires had nothing to do with Fords poor
engine design. Spacer will make a major difference in performance, apparently any mod will void aftermarket warranty's you may a well install
the spacer and enjoy your G35.
Gary
It is not aftermarket.. it is Infiniti Cerified... at the dealer through Infiniti.nd
And yes i agree i should install it and enjoy my G but i just got it and it shifts into 3rd really rough and when i took my gtube out to put the ztube in... there was like oil or what seemed like oil everywhere around the intake... i am thinking maybe its what they used to clean the engine bay when selling it but i am not sure... i will inspect the ztube in a few days and see if there is new oil.. if so i guess im taking it in ..

Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
No, it will not void your warranty. In short, the dealer must prove that the aftermarket item was THE direct cause of the failure in order to void your warranty. The spacer will do no harm to your engine. It will not increase cylinder pressure, manifold pressure, or temperature. It will not strain your internals any more than they are now. What it will do is allow for more airflow to the forward cylinders.

There is a little law (ok, well known) called the Magnusson-Moss act, read up on it. It deals with aftermarket product replacements and OEM warranty issues.

Put the spacer on already, but you should do the MREV at the same time while you have it apart.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
The oil you speak of is excessive blowby. Have the dealer check the PCV valve, and while they are at it begin the oil consumption test. Search is your friend on the OC test.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
in all these years I've never seen a warranty issue from a plenum spacer... its a pretty safe mod.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't confuse the independent business you call a dealer with the warranty provided by Nissan.
The independent Infiniti dealer will do any work he gets paid to accomplish, that Nissan or you pay for! If Nissan agrees they will pay he is happy otherwise you foot the bill.

Other than working on emission tampered vehicles most dealers could care less what you do.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 'extended warranty' is not a WARRANTY in legal terms. It is a SERVICE CONTRACT.

That is a very very important legal distinction.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 AM
its not an extended warranty... its certified pre-owned.. they should have it at riverside too.. 100,000 miles 72 months.. and i got the elite with like 84 months and bumper to bumper.. its supposed to be identicle to the new car warranty.. through Infiniti/Nissan.....

Old 09-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Stop the f-ing squabbling about the warranty!!!!!

The OP asked a specific question about a plenum spacer...

Good grief - explain to the man that a plenum mod wont void the gawd damn warranty.

Close this thread! It's the 1K post on the same old topic!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Stop the f-ing squabbling about the warranty!!!!!

The OP asked a specific question about a plenum spacer...

Good grief - explain to the man that a plenum mod wont void the gawd damn warranty.

Close this thread! It's the 1K post on the same old topic!
I did, see my first post (post 5 I believe).