Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Should I drain my tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I drain my tranny fluid?

I recently purchased a 2004 G35 coupe with 48k miles. I've read on this forum that doing a tranny fluid drain is better than a flush....my question is, when should I do the tranny fluid drain? I bought the car from a dealer and he had some service records, but none indicate that the tranny fluid had ever been drained, so I'm worried that the car needs it...how would I know?

Also, what's a decent price that an Infiniti dealer should charge for this (how do I know I'm not getting ripped off in price)? Anything I should look out for and make sure they do?

I did a search on this topic but only found answers on how to DIY on a tranny fluid drain.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also recently bought an 04 Coupe, but mine had 60k. I didn't have service records on it so I took it to my local dealer and had them do the tranny drain and fill, coolant flush and fill, and change the rear diff oil. This came up to $270. I didn't have anything to compare it to, but that seemed like a reasonable amount. There was no way for me to be sure what the previous owner had or had not done so I just felt better having those things done. Other things I did were to buy new rotors and pads, oil change (to Mobil 1), install the Amsoil dry air filter, and change the cabin air filter. That is pretty much all the maintenance that I could do to it.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check to see what it looks like, the tranny fluid stick for the AT is up on the upper left side of the engine bay and is held on with a bolt, you can remove the engine cover if you need to get to it but its not necessary. Its a black cap with a silver sticker around it warning you to only use nissan J-matic fluid. I dunno about the MT's. I just did mine at 30K and the fluid was fine, I just did a drain and refill since I bought the fluid anyway. It took about a little less that 5 qt's and I used the nissan J-matic fluid, you can get it at mynismo.com for like 7 something a qt.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mt's can go above 60k without draining(i think the manual may say 100k)