Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Possible oil problem & engine knocking??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible oil problem & engine knocking??

Yes I do have an 05 6MT G35C. I can't find anywhere in the search area on how to measure the oil yourself if you have an oil consumption issue. I purchased the car at Carmax with ~28K miles. I put just about 1k miles so far since getting the car. The mileage now is at ~29K miles, and the oil on the dipstick reads 3/4 full, as of this morning. It was at full(H)when I first checked it in person the day I purchased the car. And continuously checked the oil every other day, since the day of purchase. Which is a total of 2 weeks now. Does this confirm my fear, that my car may have an oil consumption problem?

And second, an engine knocking, would it be loud and obvious? Because I can't tell if the engine is knocking, or if it's just the sound of the motor itself. Making it seem like theres a knocking sound. I did rev the motor up to 4k rpm slowly and fast. And I don't hear any kind of knocking. Am I just being paranoid?

Well I am getting the car taken in for service tomorrow morning because of these two concerns anyway. Since my car is still under warranty, I'm taking advantage of it and getting the car checked out again. I will discuss further into details of these concerns to their tech's and service consultant tomorrow.

Opinions or tips, will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by RAF702; 10-21-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
So sounds like down 1/4qt in 1000mi?
1/4qt = 6mm per TSB.
A few threads on this issue...
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-your-oil.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...nsumption.html

Have dealer start oil consumption testing.

Mine pings at low rpm's under light to semi-moderate loads/accels. Worse on hot days.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
We can't really help on this one, the dealer is the only one to help on this. The will test for OC and replace your motor if that is the problem.

About your pinging, you will know if it is knocking. If it is a slight rattle sound, its probably just your belts. Also, are you putting in at least 91 octane? If not, make sure you put nothing less in. I'm twin turbo and my car has never seen anything less than 91 and I've never had a single knock issue.

V35 Skyline GT -

Yours should not be pinging, that is not "normal". I live in Vegas where the temps get to 120 degrees, and I've drove my car hard until the temperature gauge is all the way to max and I never had ANY pinging. You should definitely get that fixed if you want your motor to last.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
6MT Coupe
Yea I know. Eventually it will beat the VQ to an early death. In hopes of getting a custom tune someday. My old VQ oil burner pinged too, but thought that was due to all the oil consumption it was having. Now fresh VQ replacement and started the pinging after ~2500 on that engine now. Have a feeling my AFR maps are lean in the low rpm range.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
We can't really help on this one, the dealer is the only one to help on this. The will test for OC and replace your motor if that is the problem.

About your pinging, you will know if it is knocking. If it is a slight rattle sound, its probably just your belts. Also, are you putting in at least 91 octane? If not, make sure you put nothing less in. I'm twin turbo and my car has never seen anything less than 91 and I've never had a single knock issue.

I see, I put 91 octane fuel only. You might be correct, it's probably just the belts like you mentioned. I spoke with an Infiniti service rep earlier today. Told him about the whole situation, he says he's never heard of any OC issues with our cars. Since he's been working their for 4 years. He kept saying theres nothing wrong, the previous owner took the care of the car and always brought it in for service on time. For oil changes and maintenance, according to his records. He kept insisting that I shouldn't even be thinking about during sleep.

Well I just let him talk, cause I know he's wrong. But didn't want to tell him that. And so decided ill call other dealerships about this issue. And factory warranty is 4yr/60k according to the rep for my car. Im at 29k and have about 9 months left on factory warranty. So I assume if theres OC testing to be conducted, and god forbid the motor needs to be replaced. I assume all that will be covered under the factory warranty correct? Nothing out of my pocket hopefully.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
6MT Coupe
^Not one dime came out of my pocket with my warranty replacement.

LOL..on that one saying never heard of OC issue. Sounds like back in the pre TSB days. Mine said it was my driving habits pre TSB days

Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
/\ That's awesome to know! Thanks!....LOL tell me about it. It's all good though, just have to find another dealership. And a service rep that is well aware of the OC issue. Obviously I have to go to a Infiniti dealership correct? Even though Nissan/Infiniti are the same.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
^ yep nissan cant do infiniti warranty and vise versa 8-( 2 bad.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 PM
6MT Coupe
^True that...Infiniti only for Infiniti on warranty stuff.

RAF...why not just casually mention the TSB you heard of on this issue and have them look it up. (have one in your pocket case they can't find it after you inquire lol )

Here ya go:
INFINITI ITB08-002c.pdf

G/L

Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
/\/\ Awesome, thanks! will do so on next week on my day off.