Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Central FL dyno day results are in!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central FL dyno day results are in!

Disclaimer… The numbers from the dyno sheets are for informational purposes only. I have only published data that was recorded in a single setting. If you have problems with the results, please do not attack or question the methods of gaining the data. A professional racing team with one of the newest dynamometers in the USA performed the tests for us. Unfortunately their software was only version 6.0.3 while the free run viewer is version 7.0.1. Results posted are within 0.5% of the actual readings in most cases. The end results apply only to the subject test group for the specific date and times the data was recorded. This write-up is for entertainment purposes only. No type of financial gain was received for gathering or publishing this data, but hopefully some people will offer a beer or two for my troubles [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img].

OK, now that the BS disclaimer is over let’s get to the good stuff.

The first ever Titan Motorsports (TMS) Dyno Day for the Central Florida G35’s and 350Z’s went down on May 22nd and was arguably one of the most AWESOME car events of the year.

The morning started with four local Orlando G35’s guys meeting at DED’s house around 8:15 am. From there we all caravanned to TMS and showed up about 20 minutes early. We pulled in, not knowing where to go, parked and waited for the shop to open at 9am. At 9am, someone came out and told us that the dyno was around the block. We pulled around to see a smokin’ 2004 Daytona Blue 350Z, a 1991 Nissan 300ZX, and a 2000 Nissan Maxima lined up for the dyno. We went up and introduced ourselves and quickly realized that a truly fantastic day was in the making.

The morning was a typical summer morning in Florida. The temperatures started out in the low 80’s and quickly climbed as the day progressed. The atmospheric pressure was 0.44 in-Hg (but with the state of the art Dyno Jet and the SAE corrections, we soon learned that this number was meaningless).

The day began with me running around with a clipboard trying to introduce myself to everyone. It was a little hectic, but everyone was understanding and probably had a good laugh. I was quickly informed that the day prior, the wide band oxygen sensor filter had broken on their snifter. I was totally distraught! I have been concerned that the high flow cats, plenum and air intake combo was making my car run lean, and have been looking forward to air/fuel numbers for a good month now, but my major concern was that the guys driving 2 hours from Tampa would not be too upset with the news. Taking everything in stride, I tried not to let this information bother me.

There was a strong showing from the Tampa and Orlando groups. Several guys from Tampa caravanned over together to join in the festivities, and one could say that they “brought the party” along with them. We were blessed with all types of Forced Induction in the form of 350Z’s. They brought along an ATI Procharger, a Vortec Supercharger and even a Greddy Twin Turbo.

The dynoing began! I was the third car to get on the dyno, the first of the G35’s. My first run was somewhat of an initial disappointment. I thought that in order to be an actual member of the 300 bhp club I needed a strong 255 rwhp reading, which has been my target goal from the start. Since we decided to only record the best runs of each person, my first run was not recorded. The second run proved to be pretty good with a 246.4 rwhp and 231.4 ft-lb with the HP coming on strong until 6400 rpm and the torque showing good gains through 5400 rpm’s.

Since I was the first car on the dyno; I had no idea whether these were good numbers or if they were just a tick mark off of the stock configuration. I would soon learn that the mod combo on my car would be the best combo of the day for the Naturally Aspirated group.

The guys running the dyno were telling me that the most accurate runs came from the 1:1 gear ratio. For the 6MT’s that would be 5th gear, and for the 5AT’s that would be 4th gear. When the 6MT is red lining in 5th gear it is approaching 140 MPH! The guys at the shop were a little concerned about such high speeds, and rightfully so. I encouraged them to run all of the 6MT’s in 5th gear so that we would have a good comparison and the shop guys were easily influenced.

The heart wrenching moment of the day came with my third run. At about 6000 rpm’s my car quickly lurched about 2-4 inches to the left and made a horrifying screech. The place got very quiet, very fast. The driver got out of my car looking like his life had just passed before his eyes. We walked to the back of the car to find that one of the 4-rear tie down straps was resting against my exhaust and it MELTED and snapped in half! Fortunately the tie down hook just slid along my rear control arm and there appears to be no damage what so ever. (Thank GOD that the other 3 rear straps were still intact). After my exciting 3rd run, we continued with the rest of the runs; however no one seemed too eager to go right after me for some reason. From that point forward they dynoed all 6MT’s in 4th gear and all 5AT’s in 3rd gear.

The following chart is my best effort to show everyone’s gains at one point on the dyno chart. This alone does not tell the story, as there are many factors like torque slip on the automatic torque converters, area under the curve, etc… but serves as an initial comparison point none the less.

Next up on the dyno were the Orlando Locals; Dabomb (Wes), PlatG (Jeff), Demonteverde (Ian) and DED (Dennis).

Up first was Demonteverde (Ian) in the stock 6MT. This is what made the day for me, as I really wanted a stock 5AT and a stock 6MT for comparison purposes. I hoped that people with similar mods would gain similar numbers and fortunately they did. I was also hoping that the 6MT would get slightly better gains than the 5AT (more parasitic losses in the auto) and it did as well.

Thank GOD there was some sanity to the numbers that we were seeing. Ian dynoed and his best run was 229.7 rwhp @ 6300 rpm and 222.6 ft-lb @ 4900 rpm. With some simple math I was able to derive a 1.22 factor between the advertised 280 bhp that comes stock on the 6MT’s and Ian’s run. (Simply take the stock 280 bhp and divide it by Ian’s 229.7 rwhp and you get the1.22 factor). This made me feel a little bit better, because my run of 246.4 rwhp translated into about 300.6 bhp (Yippee! I met my 300 bhp goal!). Doing the same calculation for torque (270 ft-lbs. divided by 222.6 ft-lbs.) yielded a 1.21 factor which would translate my torque at the crank to 280 ft-lbs These factors are not the standard factors that people have used to compensate for the parasitic losses for a stock 6MT, but on this day, and all things being equal, it unarguably proved to be the case. The only way this correction factor could be incorrect would be if the stock VQ35’s were not really 280 bhp.

Up next, for comparison purposes, was Mekanik in his stock 5AT. He, as well as all of the automatics, was having a little trouble with the torque converter under 3500 rpm’s. There were 2 “blips’ in the graph where the torque converters were slipping on the dyno. This resulted in relatively high numbers that we were “throwing out” to get the true horsepower and torque readings. Mekanik ran a 227.6 rwhp @ 6300 rpm and 216.7 ft-lb @ 4700.

Fortunately, there were several people who only had the Z-Tube and JWT Popcharger combination, so we were definitely able to come to a conclusion as to what this combo does for the G35. If you look at the dyno chart you will see that there is definitely a gain to be had with the Z-Tube and JWT P/C. Initially we thought the gain was ZERO when comparing the horsepower and torque numbers to the stock cars (see the spread sheet comparing Dennis to Ian), but after comparing dyno charts, the horsepower and torque numbers show the advertised gain through most of the rpm range.

It just so happened that at 5250 rpm’s both the stock set up and the Z-Tube P/C combo crossed paths for both horsepower and torque. A little research led me to determine that ALL hp and torque curves on ALL dyno charts should cross at 5250 due to the portion of the equation (hp + torque / 5250.) This lead us to initially believe that there was no gain to be had by switching out the stock air box. Fortunately the dyno shop technician was smart enough to plot the 2 runs against each other. The graph showed that there is clearly a good 5-6 rwhp and 4-8 ft-lbs of torque to be had by this intake throughout the power band.

The next question would be… would the Injen CAI produce?

This answer was one of the biggest surprises of the day. When you take a look at Omi (or Mike’s) run, his mods included an Injen CAI, a Greddy Exhaust and a set of home made Grounding Wires. Mike ran a 230.7 rwhp @ 6200 rpm and 222.2 ft-lb @ 4800 rpm. This was right inline with the stock cars, and slightly under the Z-Tube and JWT P/C group. Basically this showed that the Injen CAI and Greddy Exhaust combo gained nothing as far as performance increases when compared to the stock G35 configuration.

At 12:30 we broke for lunch. We all headed to a local Wendy’s for a quick bite to eat. Tim, the owner of the Vortec 350Z quickly became my new friend. We grabbed lunch together and talked about everything related to cars. He let the cat out of the bag on the RT Cats “raspiness” mystery and apparently he cracked the case wide open with his research and resourcefulness. He told me that the rattling that some people are having is a result of the Catalytic Converter “honeycomb” material coming loose inside of the cat. At the right rpm (or right amount of air flowing through the cat) the honeycomb rattles or “rasps” as it vibrates inside of the catalytic converter housing. Tim had this problem but fixed it by drilling out the honeycomb and basically converted the cats to straight pipes. Talking to a G35 owner who installed and tuned his own supercharger was a true joy. People like this really help to put the icing on the cake.

When we returned from lunch someone decided it was time for the FORCED INDUCTION showdown. I will not go into great detail since there was no G35 in the mix, but lets just say that bragging rights came at a high price that afternoon. Runs were made, boost was adjusted, more runs were made… it was quite exciting. Several conclusions can be made from this show down…

1. DO NOT run a Twin Turbo without a blow off valve. I don’t care what the installer tells you.
2. The Greddy Twin Turbo’s can really put out the big hp/torque numbers, no questions asked.
3. Vortec is candy!!!

As the day progressed the temperatures went from about 81 degrees to about 98 degrees. The SAE corrections proved to be very useful. By 5pm there was still about half of the hard core Orlando and Tampa crew still there. The last run finished up and the Tampa guys headed home. I hopped in my freshly Zainoed beauty and drove home, one tired and happy man. My only question is when are we going to do this again?

Lastly, there were several Naturally Aspirated 350Z's, a couple of 300ZX's and even a FWD Maxima in the mix. There results were informative as well.

A special thank you should go out to Jeff (PlatG) for hosting the photos on his website FloridaG35.com. Jeff is also willing to host everyone's individual runs at this address. You can go to dynojet.com and download the Run Viewer software for free. You can then take your previous dyno runs and compare them to our runs should you like. You can manipulate the software to adjust for correction factors, SAE, etc... Please remember, the dyno jet we used had SAE correction software version 6.0.3 and the web site offers software 7.0.1. Some of the runs have a 0-2 horse power delta due to these inconsistancies.

As well a huge thanks to Wes (Dabomb) for helping me decipher the dyno jet software and to Ian (Demonteverde) for the computer support. I really feel that we have an incredible group of guys here in Central Florida and if anyone reading this thread is ever in our area, look us up and we’ll show you some “True Southern G35 hospitality”. Thanks for reading…

Neffster (Official Member of the 300 bhp club!)

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 05-24-2004, 07:53 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Central FL dyno day results are in!

the first pic has a broken link. awesome job though. thanks for putting it all together. just incase anyone wants to see pics check out the southeast section. there are a lot of pics in there.

tampa always brings the party.

p.s. got b?

Daniel

5ATC / DP / Willow / Premium / Aero / Clear Bra / 5% Tint - 30% Windshield / Ground Kit / Clear Corners / Shock Sensor / L.E.D. Hood Lights / Z - Tube / OEM Remote Window Up / VDC Memory<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SFLG35 on 05/24/04 05:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Neffster. Very informative post.

Kevin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 Diamond Graphite Coupe
Windows up with OEM Remote
RE Short Shifter // Z Tube

Old 05-24-2004, 08:14 PM

The first link will be fixed tomorrow. It will show my dyno chart (the one that I forgot to send to Jeff today with the rest of the files). I went ahead and referenced it for now and will send all the info to Jeff in the morning. He'll make it work.

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 05-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Banned

Nice work and write up .One ? though .How come there was no redo on the Vortech dyno ? It shows only that the run was half made ...then the dyno error .And the procharger had belt lip . Of course the turbo will make a little more power but there is nothing there to compare the other 2 .Looks like the turbo had been tuned and the other 2 had not .I know the Vortech will make upwards of 380whp tuned .Mine went 379whp with fuel tuned .No timing done yet . Thats on a AT5 . Glad to hear your car wasnt damaged....Again nice write up

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by booger on 05/24/04 05:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-24-2004, 08:31 PM
FGC President

the vortech dyno was redone a couple times. and it had a full graph but no torque numbers. maybe neff just didnt get that graph or forgot to use it. but the 345 is right. tim couldnt tune it all the way cause he couldnt get the air/fuel reading. he is goin to go back an dmake an appointment with them and get it tuned when the sniffer is fixed.

also the turbo was not tuned. they just turned the boost up to 6.5. so i guess you could say they kinda tuned it there.

Daniel

5ATC / DP / Willow / Premium / Aero / Clear Bra / 5% Tint - 30% Windshield / Ground Kit / Clear Corners / Shock Sensor / L.E.D. Hood Lights / Z - Tube / OEM Remote Window Up / VDC Memory<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SFLG35 on 05/24/04 05:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Banned

That must have been the case then...niether the Vortech nor the Procharger had been tuned yet . I know both will make more power than shown...thanks

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 05-24-2004, 08:57 PM
FGC Central Florida BOD

Well done Neff...
Here is another comparison for u guys...
Ztube Popcharger on 5AT

Notice the TORQUE GAIN and even the HP gain is more than Dennis got with the 6MT. Could this be from lack of heatshield...maybe but i doubt it. It just looks like the ATs will gain more with this mod.

'03 G35 Coupe | Black on Black | Performance
20% tint | Clear Corners | Ztube & Popcharger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/dabomb3

262511-Wes & Richard.jpg

Old 05-24-2004, 09:00 PM
FGC President

you should post the one of mine and yours so people can see what just the z tube does compaired to the popcharger and z tube.

Daniel

5ATC / DP / Willow / Premium / Aero / Clear Bra / 5% Tint - 30% Windshield / Ground Kit / Clear Corners / Shock Sensor / L.E.D. Hood Lights / Z - Tube / OEM Remote Window Up / VDC Memory

Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 PM

well authored, NEFF..........

i cant help but wonder what the % of HP the 5th gear runs you recorded (over the gear 4 runs of everyone else, 6mt) had on the peak HP..... the curve should be the same, but the acreage underneath the line (and the tpeak, obviously) should be an incremental amount higher....

on another note, doing the math in reciprocal fashion, you can accurately say that the drivetrain loss (6mt) is 18% (again, in 5th gear that is) , which is very close to on - par with other's findings (had believed it to be more like 17% in my readings)

question--- did you all keep your tire pressures the same thruout the entire days of runs??? this makes a marked difference, and yet i forgot to ask what the lbs were that you guys deemed as the control ### (the heat of the days wouldnt have too much, if any, effect on the tire temps/pressure....

looking forward to the next gathering, for sure!

-eS

Old 05-24-2004, 09:15 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting to see the numbers.

You should keep in mind that not all cars are built exactly the same from the factory. Not all coupes will really have 280 HP. So it's hard to just the gains on these mods using 2 different cars. Maybe car #1 would have dynoed 5 HP more than car #2 in stock form, and now throw some mods into the picture and it's more confusing.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up and comparisions! Very dramatic write up Todd I like!!

Can you tell me where I can get all the dyno runs so I can view them in Dyno Viewer?? I went to http://www.floridag35.com/ but nothing.

Thanks

04 350Z / DB / 6MT / Touring
Injen CAI / Eibach Springs /Nismo Titainium Shift **** / Clear bumper lense

Old 05-24-2004, 09:28 PM
FGC Central Florida BOD

Im glad u brought that up...unfortunatly no one else has this valuable information because he eased off Todd's 5th gear run before it peaked.
But check this 3rd vs 4th gear comparison of a 5AT...maybe 4th gear doesnt give best pull!!

Daniel, I'll get that posted for u asap....heading out right now though.

'03 G35 Coupe | Black on Black | Performance
20% tint | Clear Corners | Ztube & Popcharger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/dabomb3

262541-Wes 3rd VS 4th gear.jpg

Old 05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

4th gear isn't really for best pull, it's more for the 1:1 ratio.

That 4th gear pull looks very similar to mine done a few months ago, where after 5K it doesn't really pull as strongly in the top end. Incidentally I got 220/228 on a 4th gear pull for a 5AT on a shop in Cali.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I had a great time meeting everybody on saturday and looking forward to the next meet.
I've posted all the dyno results <a href="ftp://floridag35.com/">here</a>. You can download the dynojet viewer <a href="http://www.dynojet.com/downloads.shtml">here</a> to use with the results.

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Central FL dyno day results are in!