Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Build! How much did your build end up costing you all said and done, if you dont mind me asking? What kind of torque numbers did you put down?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
_jb
Photographer

I don't have any dyno charts with torque or RPM figures. The RPM pickup was not working on Jeremy's dyno, so the dyno chart with whp on the first page of this thread is all I have.

The overall torque has improved immensely with this new engine. It truly feels like a different car... Unfortunately I can't quantify it without a dyno sheet... sorry...

Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Jb next time I would like to go for a ride!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
personally I think he should just pass the car around for us all to get a feel

Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
nice build, good to see another NA car runnig around!! the vid sounds MEAN!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
hhmmmm... i wish i had the cash for this

Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Jb next time I would like to go for a ride!
Sure!

I'll trade you a ride for a ride...

Old 11-11-2008, 01:27 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by OCG35
personally I think he should just pass the car around for us all to get a feel
Yea... Well, maybe...

Originally Posted by cerr
nice build, good to see another NA car runnig around!! the vid sounds MEAN!
Thanks...

Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by _jb
Yea... Well, maybe...
Me first!

Old 12-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
JB, your car sounded great yesterday at the run! It sounded almost exactly like the boosted Z's that took off infront of us on that backroad poker stop.

-Sean

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Nismo G
JB, your car sounded great yesterday at the run! It sounded almost exactly like the boosted Z's that took off infront of us on that backroad poker stop.

-Sean
Thanks!

It's amazing what a set of new pistons and cams will do for performance... the 4.08 gears really like the extra 1000 revs, too... I have to admit that I ran it pretty hard on some of those back roads... fun day...

The Run is always a super fun event! How'd you like the new route through all the back roads?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I absolutely love the setup. It's clean and the car is very understated. What a beast. The power is really impressive, but not surprising seeing that your VQ can breath well above 7000rpms. I'd love to see another dyno with the HP and torque over rpm. If I had a good bit of money, I'd try the same thing with a 350Z. Those 4.08s are a wise choice because how much rpm your car has now. You could actually get away with 4.3X gears.

My question to you is why not the Cosworth intake manifold. It doesn't do squat for a standard DE/Revup, but with your car's breathing ability, it would be a perfect match and you'd probably see a bit more power.

I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU KEPT THE STOCK INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the best evidence I've ever seen showing that the stock intake isn't a restriction.

What kind of mpgs do you see in normal driving.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by _jb
Thanks!

It's amazing what a set of new pistons and cams will do for performance... the 4.08 gears really like the extra 1000 revs, too... I have to admit that I ran it pretty hard on some of those back roads... fun day...

The Run is always a super fun event! How'd you like the new route through all the back roads?
This was actually the first run i have went too. The past years i couldn't get off work so i missed them, but this was awesome. Didn't have to worry about cops at all, which is something i like.

-Sean

Old 12-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Truly badass. This is exacty what I'm shooting for. To a tee actually. Throw a 100-shot in there and you will EASILY play with the FI guys...

Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by DaveB
I absolutely love the setup. It's clean and the car is very understated. What a beast. The power is really impressive, but not surprising seeing that your VQ can breath well above 7000rpms. I'd love to see another dyno with the HP and torque over rpm. If I had a good bit of money, I'd try the same thing with a 350Z. Those 4.08s are a wise choice because how much rpm your car has now. You could actually get away with 4.3X gears.

My question to you is why not the Cosworth intake manifold. It doesn't do squat for a standard DE/Revup, but with your car's breathing ability, it would be a perfect match and you'd probably see a bit more power.

I LOVE THE FACT THAT YOU KEPT THE STOCK INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the best evidence I've ever seen showing that the stock intake isn't a restriction.

What kind of mpgs do you see in normal driving.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm really having a lot of fun driving it. I would also like to see a dyno sheet with rwhp, torque , and RPM on it. As I understand it, the Performance Factory dyno has trouble picking up the RPM feed. It's not just my car. None of the current PF dyno sheets have shown the RPM range. Jeremy is in the process of moving his dyno and shop to North Carolina, so, I don't think he plans to fix it until he gets there. My plans were always for additional dynos, but I'm not sure where or how that's going to happen at the moment.

My plans for this build were to keep the induction system the same as it always has been... Z-tube and a K&N filter... stock. I wanted to see what gains I got from just the motor upgrade.

During the dyno runs on the new engine, Jeremy noticed that the engine was still drawing a vacuum at wide open throttle. Additionally, Jeremy is not too fond of the Crawford intake plenum. I tried to purchase a Cosworth plenum while my car was still on the dyno, but couldn't find one. Since it looks like pretty good evidence showing that my car needs more breathing ability, I'm looking in to several options there, too. In all honesty, if I never made another mod to my car, I would be very happy with the power the new engine makes.

I haven't checked the mileage with the new engine. I filled it up right before "The Run" last weekend, but I suspect the amount of "spirited driving" on the back roads has doomed this mileage test to failure. I used to get 18.5 mpg in the city with the 4.08 gears and my old engine. I suspect I will get a bit less with the new engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!