Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Going all naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Going all naturally aspirated

Cloud Kid... I meant the ignorant people who don't understand that nitrous can be effective as well as safe. Remember I have the Zex Kit too.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, of course above 450 hp is achievable, but how long will it last? with the stock block, the answer is not very long. somethign will snap or break and catastrophic engine damage is bound to occur. it is pretty much proven that the stock VQ35 cannot handle 450 hp. im not saying IMO, but rather its more of a proven fact. maybe with the AEBS kit, but so far, it has yet to be proven to run very long. im all for it though. i really hope it works. id love to have a 600+ hp Gsedan sleeper. =)

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 05-30-2004, 10:41 AM

I know GdupG. I was just having fun with your post. Got to stick with my fellow Nitrous "lovers". hehee. =) Was just kidn' with ya. Oh, by the way, have you Dyno Tuned yours yet?

B. Silver| Loaded 20" Iforged Rims - Flux| Pop-Charger | Z-Tube | GroundingGear Equipped | Borla TD | "Custom" Stereo - JL/Focal/Clarion \ Zex 100 Shot / Purge Light - Crawford Cats

Old 05-30-2004, 02:12 PM

REPLY TO:
zippiziggi77 (Newbie)
05/29/04 05:33 PM

I think NOS is like Hot chick with STD
YOu kno you wanna hit it but there is a consquence that follows!! ;-)

wow hahahah good one

-Armen
"One day as a Lion, Rather 100 years a lamb"

Old 05-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Prof has definitely raised a valid point- even Nissan has said that failure will occur with stock internals being used with forced induction over a certain power rating...The only thing to do is experiment and see what happens, which sounds far too simplified and cavalier, I know, but that's what happens with new products and new applications...Darton contaced me this past week and their kit is also now available, on a custom application status, so there's one more direction to go...Kits like these can only help, and I would think that anyone going turbo, supercharger, or above 150 shot of nitrous would know to swap out the stock internals

As far as NA being more impressive than FI, that's truly subjective...I respect any well-built, well-tuned engine that performs well in all arenas, so I don't care if you're supercharging, spooling, or squeezing...Right now I just happen to really love the sound of turbos spooling and a BOV spitting, but that's just me for the moment

"All the Power in the World resides in the Eyes..."

Old 05-30-2004, 06:13 PM

you're absolutely correct, it is truely subjective ( i forgot to add the IMO)...from my experience, we built an all motor 255 whp prelude motor and slammed it into a honda civic (first in the tri-state area to do so successfully) and ran low 12s all day at the track. the damn thing felt like it had nitrous when vtec hit. that engine versus the turbo application we had b4 it (turbo d16 that ran low 12's also) was a night and day difference. torque and power curves were very different. i loved the NA setup. mainly because we could beat the crap outta the car all day and not worry about the headaches associated with FI. but also, this was a honda vtec motor. no telling how a VQ performs from first hand experience just yet.
that leads me to another point. does anyone have first hand experience with stressing a VQ motor to its threshold? does anyone have any literature that states the stock block of a VQ motor can only withstand 450 hp? everyone is saying it, but its like a rumor that everyone is agreeing with but has no real proof of the stress levels that would be needed to blow a VQ motor. i have read all over the place that it is said to be 450, but no one has ever said "yea this guy blew his block apart running 450 hp on his stock VQ motor." everyone i see running high power levels have rebuilt their motor. there's gotta be someone out there who's willing to push the limits of the stock motor just to know for sure. can anyone get VQ blocks at a good price? i refuse to believe that this block can only push 450hp until i see the proof on paper, not all this "hearsay" stuff. they once said the stock supra turbo motor will only hold 400 hp, and now there are a bunch of stock blocked 700+whp supras, and the same thing goes for the gt-r motors as well...the engineering genius was well underestimated, as with all newly designed motors. i just hope the engineers who designed the VQ had better ambitions than the service departments at our dealerships, cos if all things were equal, then we're in deep sh*t, lol!

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 06-01-2004, 12:24 PM

I truly forget where I read that Nissan has stated 450HP or 500HP is the limit of this block...I may have even read it somewhere questionable...I'll do some searches and see if I can't find something out

That NA Prelude sounds great...There is definitely something appealing about having a great performer without the turbo or supercharger maintenance

Old 06-01-2004, 03:21 PM

I was going to say Technosquare ECU reflash next -- as other people already said, but also nobody said anything yet about wheels, (sorry, I know the topic is NA mods) but you didn't mention whether yours are stock or not. You could get some superlight track wheels and gain a bit of performance there too...

I think the stock 18's (with the Michelins on) are around 48 pounds front and 50 pounds rear? so there's definitely room there for improvement.

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 AM

Profile4: It is true that the stock Supra and GT-R blocks can support very high horsepower, but there are differences between those blocks and the VQ. Both of those cars are designed specifically for FI. The Supra has a compression ratio of 8.5:1 compared to the 10.3:1 in the VQ. That alone allows the Supra to safely run higher boost (resulting in more hp) than the G.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 PM

Those blocks are also cast iron, if I'm not mistaken...That makes a huge difference

Old 06-03-2004, 02:58 AM

Yes. I'm pretty sure they are. I forgot to mention that.