Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

im seriously about ready to sell this PITA.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im seriously about ready to sell this PITA. PLEASE HELP!!

long read, but please i need help here.
dont get me wrong, i love my G.
but they cant make it run right. the story.

April 1-Bought car from another member on the site, ran with no issues.
August 1- car taken by DAS to be relocated to NM, where i would be in school.
September 1- DAS finally manages to get car from NY to NM. lots of scratches, ran fine.
Mid September- driving normal one day, SES light comes on.
Buy code reader. Code P1283. find very little info.
Week later, bring car to dealer. 100 for diagnostic time, 400 for "blown" MAF. kinda pissed, service rep. was quite condescending. after awile got the point im not stupid and i know whats going on under the hood lol
(bought sensor, installed myself vs. their 150 to do it)
A few weeks later- Light back on.
bring it back in, they say the wires were messed up to MAF. (they were slightly, looks like someone pulled on the connector too hard and seperated the insulation a bit. however, tested with meter and work fine. they caulk the wires, no charge out of "goodness of their heart"
two days later- back on.
make appointment for day after thanksgiving. bring car in. call back a few hours later, and they say "well we found a TSB, if the computer isint reset after installing new MAF it will keep throwing codes, even if no problem. another hundred into their computer time.
couple of days later- light back on. by now im angry as f*** at the dealer, so i call corperate. they basically say thats bs and the dealer would contact me for apointment that day. corp calls next day and says did they call, i say no. they said they would call me back. never hear anything.
dealer finally calls back a few days later for appt. set it up.
appt. is on december 18. bring car in, service manager (nice guy) says he will be involved now. give my mom a loaner, and off we go. a few hours later, they call and say it was really an 02 sensor. changing under warranty. (which i found i had after all this started, but they wount honor on MAF. grrr....
Get car back, running all nice. drive up to taos this weekend, and the light is on again with the same code.

i dont even know where to begin. any ideas???

side note- my CD player crapped out, and they told me that it would take 3 weeks for replacement, without sound/HVAC.
when i called corp. about engine problem, i told them about this (it was a monday, and i hadnt gotten it fixed yet)
they said the deal with clarion is that the dealer orders a radio, it comes in, and then they replace it and send out the broken one. so anyone else who was told they had to give the radio up, is getting a load of BS.
the dealer called me that fri to make the appt. to check the engine light and replace the radio. So in reality, it took them 4 days to get the radio.

Last edited by gizmo134; 01-15-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You need a new dealer

Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1

Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM
i wish.. the nearest dealer to me is about 300 miles away, in el paso tx.
im stuck as to what i should do.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Move to California and we'll take care of you

Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
P1283 is driver's side running lean - front AF sensor. It could be the sensor going bad - and hopefully they replaced the correct one. It could be that that side is really running lean. The dealer should have checked with their Consult device, but who knows... Do you have any modifications that might cause it to run lean? If so, you may need a tune to get it fixed or remove the mod. Alternatively it could be a more serious issue with a fuel injector on that side not flowing, clogged, etc. Going to a dealer that will work through a full diagnostic for a lean condition is necessary...

EDIT: I see you have Stillen test pipes and a Crawford plenum. I am not surprised you have thrown this code and I am surprised the dealer is providing warranty service with those on. I see Osiris in your future - contact UpRev.com.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-28-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
they keep saying its the mass airflow. btw, the test pipes arent on. the crawford is tho. and ive been to the dealer 4 times, they cant seem to pinpoint it. i talked to one of the tech's, and he said that one side was alil lean, but that through the consult he tuned it up so it ran with the intake on.
ps- the whole condition started while the car was stock tho.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 AM
they need to check your grounds for the a/f ratio sensors both bank 1 and 2 they are the ECM grounds, located behind the gauge cluster and behind the glove box.

Bank 1 lean maybe a mass air sensor, but these things don't go that often and normally there is a contributing factor to it, like when someone puts in a factory a/f suffix 0Z000 they have mass amounts of oil on them and they need to have the excess oil blown off of them before install.

What are your alphas? for sure from CII data monitor, thats a must, also what are they looking at to diagnose the maf? whats your calculated load in grams per second. Whats the MAF voltage, whats the A/F ratio sensor B1 voltage? whats the sensor 2 voltage. Older cars i have seen the MAF be the cause of that code, but BOTH banks are lean, not only 1, if there is 1 bank being lean only 1 bank, 110%+ on the alphas its not your mass air sensor. Also even if the test pipes were on it would give you a catalyst efficency code which is p0420 or p0430, which works off of switching frequency from your 1st to 2nd o2 sensor.

A side note about your radio, normally it only takes us 3-4 days to get them and i am here on the east coast, also....radios normally take out the radio not the HVAC controls as well that normally is a printed circut board issue.

I hope i was of some assistance.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
thanks fb, thats a crapload of info haha
it turns out that my aunts' friends who came to dinner are good friends with the owner of the dealer, so he hooked me up with the owner. i explained the problem ive been having, and that this is the cars 5th time back in, and he said its unacceptable. my mom decided she wanted to stop in later on and talk to them, and she first saw the service manager. he threw a load of BS. when we were there last time and bought an extended warranty, he said that what had been modified was the intake and muffler. now that the car is back with the light on, he tells her that "most of the car has been modified" and that it pretty much wount be covered by any warranty. wtf?
she then talked to the owner, who seems much more inclined to diagnose the problem, and said that they were "trying the simple things first". wonderful, but on my dime, please try everything and charge me for the problem?
either way, theyre bringing another tech in to look at it, and i gave him my list of everything else and theyre gonna try to fix what they can.

ps- what i meant about the radio was that the would take the guts out, send them in for repair, then put the repaired unit back in, usually 3 weeks later. during that time, however,because there is no radio guts, none of the center console controls work. (for anyone that doesnt get this, its the same reason that you need to get the special controls when you get a DD kit. they decided to integrate all the controls...... boo.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:54 AM
update. grr...
so after sitting at the dealer since the 29, i decided to call them last friday (the 9th).
they said "were working on it".
tuesday, call dealer. ask to speak to owner, hes not there so leave voicemail.
call again and ask to speak to service manager. hes not there either, theyl leave a message for him to call me when he gets back. never heard from either of them.
call today, get through to owner. he says hed call me back. call back when dealer is closing. get through to owner again, he says some little stuff then transfers me to service manager.
according to them, "heavy modifications" have been made to the car. aparently affect almost every system..
i asked what the engine issue was though. they said that the post cat O2 sensor was replaced with a wideband a/f sensor, and "the wires were connected with butt connectors and black electricial tape"
he "didnt understand why someone would change it, because the stock setup uses an older o2 sensor, while this was a newer style a/f sensor"
before they can diagnose anything more, they have to order/install this stupid sensor. damage is around ANOTHER 350. they said they cleared the code, but after driving it would come back again.

so they had it over 2 weeks, only looked recently and found i need that sensor, so now im SOL about getting it fixed cause i need the car.
my question- does anyone see a point to an a/f sensor post-cat?
and 2nd- isint a post-cat just to tell the cat's are working? why would they throw a lean engine code??
this really doesnt make sense, and now aparently the extended warranty we bought will cover jack s***.
what the hell do i do???

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you're paying for it anyway, take it somewhere else. You can't really sell it until it's working properly or you will get screwed on the resale.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Well it sounds like the previous owner has done a number on your car. Have you consdered putting the OEM intake and intake manifold back on? It is quite possible that due to the high elevation of NM and the lower 02 content, the addition of two air flow improving devices have put the sensors just outside of their spec range. IMO, get rid of that POS Stillen CAI and try the OEM airbox. Reset the ECU and see what happens.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
wow, your dealership is bending you over. Get your car outta there

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 AM
at this point, it seems to be to me that this dealer is getting something wrong. well maybe its me. as far as i can tell, if theres something wrong with a post-cat O2, no matter what, its gonna throw a cat code, not lean engine. but nevertheless, im gonna have the sensor put in, then see what they say. somehow i dont see how this is gonna help.
oh and ps- the reason it took 2 weeks to figure this out- theyre "basically working for free on this, so they have to make money and take care of more important issues", aka not my car.
i gotta aggree with ZUL8R, theyve pretty much tried to bend me over so my heads touching my toes. grrr.....

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 AM
1283 is bc of your cats. try replacing them with oem cats or add the o2 simulators.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: im seriously about ready to sell this PITA.