Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Popcharger or K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Popcharger or K&N Filter

Back when Nissan cared more about long term life [beyond 150-200,000 miles] than they currently do now, the air intakes were all convoluted expensively designed with dirt/sand traps built into the system way out in front of the filter.

My Q had a 4" plastic cone in front of condenser, tuned resonant tubes, then inside the fire wall the air entered via an oval hole hit a 90 degree cotton covered pad at angle, reflected vertically to the air filter.......off to the side were two hang on chambers one which caught sand size particle and the other tiny sticks & straw.......segregated by weight and shape.

The whole system [including the paper filter] had 4.5-5 inches of water restriction at 6900 rpm at MAF input.

Assumming a 200% markup from the factory to retail {$468}......this system cost the factory $117. Can you imagine them spending this much today.

Substitute a G35 design for $20 and please the young crowd with a louder sound. And save money........wow.
Gaining 3.5"-4" WC in the process:4/27.7=0.145 psi=1% power boost.......2.0-2.5-2.7 HP

The factory already used the CAI trick and placed it high in a pressure zone to minimize road heat and road dirt.
Plus they calibrated the MAF voltage curve to be accurate [or at least deliver to the ecu a voltage that fits correctly into the equation.

Since about 1998 Lexus and Infiniti have used and refined these cost saving designs to add a tiny bit of power to the engines..............

Old 06-21-2004, 06:55 PM
DED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No car company designs a car (that is cheap enough to sell) to last 150,000 miles. That would be overengineering in most cases.

Engineer it to last through warranty or lease term. Or longer with proper maintenance.

You (and very few others) had a Q, not a Sentra.

Mr. Engineers goal: make it last long and affordable.
Mr. Engineers reply: Pick one or the other, or compromise to make 90% of the people happy. 90% of the people do not keep thier car for 150,000 miles.

If one could afford a Q, one could afford to buy a new one every 10 years or so. Or one would hope.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Head 'n Shoulders

Go with K & N. From reading many posts, I feel that the P/C produces very marginal gains (like 2-4 hp, not the 6 it claims). Personally, im not really fond of obtaining a whistling sound either. I think that would be very annoying. Not to mention the P/C is $100 more expensive and harder to install than the K & N i would imagine. When you get down to it, I dont think the P/C is worth getting. It doesnt do much to put it bluntly (not like the K & N does either). I just ordered a K & N filter along with a z-tube too.

5AT Coupe, Black on Black, Chrome Wheel/Performance Package, Premium, Aero w/spoiler, Eibach springs, Clear corners.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:03 PM

Jjelly -

Do you still have the popcharger?

Old 07-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I sold it a few weeks ago.
I now have the stock airfilter with the Z tube. Not sure if I'll get the K&N panel filter replacement.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 07-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

jjellyneck:

I was looking into the BMC "World Championship" filters out of Italy. They used to only have racing applications and only recently started offering for street cars. Only slightly more than the K&N, but much better construction IMO. Might be worth a consideration as a drop-in replacement. I was going to try one after removing my Pop-Charger if someone wanted my K&N. I had a thread around here somewhere about the BMC.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 AM

I found the site for BMC, but I could not find any good tech info on the filters.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 07-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I guess they don't have a lot of good tech info out there. The racing teams that use the filters just know about them, and the street applications are now just a sideline for them from what I've heard. You could e-mail one of their distributors for info.

One of the Canadian Distributors is AUTOBRAUN Distributors here in Edmonton where I took a look at them. We also test fit one in my removed stock box to compare with the K&N and I was quite impressed.

E-mail Vincent at info@autobraun.com and tell him you spoke with me and see if he has any more info you can get.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 07-25-2004, 10:36 PM

I just sent him an email, requesting tech info and pricing. I'll let you know what he says.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 07-26-2004, 07:30 PM

I just installed the K&N drop in on my car. I used to have the pop charger but i wanted something a little more quiet. I have to say that power is about the same but the low end feels a little stronger. The pop charger is still a good upgrade but i think its the Z tube that really makes the difference.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 PM

I got an email today from Vincent at Braun. The BMC air filter is $71.40 plus approx. $16-18 for shipping. This is Canadian $$, so that would translate into approx. $54 plus $12-13 for shipping in US $.
Hmmm....I need to get some tech info from him. I'm wondering if it's better than the K&N drop-in filter.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 07-26-2004, 10:19 PM

I have the Z tube, and I could definitely feel a slight improvement in power at the high RPM's. Mostly it was less fall off of power above 5000 RPM or so.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 07-28-2004, 10:18 AM

Some info from Vincent on the BMC air filter...
You can visit the manufacture's web site at www.bmcairfilter.com if you like. It uses a 4 layer cotton gauze material, sandwiched between an epoxy metal mesh for shape and to withstand the water, acid, and fumes that come up through the intake system of a vehicle.
It explains some of the tech info and the construction... http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoOEM.asp

'04 6MT coupe

Old 09-28-2005, 10:14 PM
[/I bought a Pop charger from a guy who used it for 2 hours. He didn't like it because it produced too much noise for him. I have not installed it, but would sell it for $65 shipped.

The filter and everything look brand new (they should!), and the good thing is that the rubber trim is already installed around the heat shield.

Let me know if you have an interest.

'04 6MT coupe]

hey jjellyneck i'm interested in buying ur popcharger from you. gimme an email at hondas2kilo@comcast.net you said 65 plus shipping right?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Omar
...Personally, im not really fond of obtaining a whistling sound either. I think that would be very annoying. Not to mention the P/C is $100 more expensive and harder to install than the K & N i would imagine...
Hey Omar. I've got the pop charger. Personally I think the sound is great. The whistling is not constant, so it's not annoying. The install is easy. It would take me no more than 15 minutes now that I know how to do it. I personally do not regret getting it at all. I must say that I do not have the z tube yet. I kept the stocker air box in case it's too loud when I do get one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Popcharger or K&N Filter