Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Ultimate Technical Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ultimate Technical Question

15 pounds per horsepower.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 AM

Oh snap. Be careful Neff, they'll ban you!

Yeah, I was figuring about 10 pounds per HP. I have a couple of formulas and was playing around with HP to weight ratios and their resultant QM times, but 15 sounds reasonable too. I figured if I could shed 100 pounds that would knock off about .1 seconds on a standard day.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Well if I speak the truth and the moderators don't like it, tough. I try really hard to keep my posts light hearted and on topic, but every now and again a little attempt at humor should not be a problem, right?

You're right about the "good" technical threads becomming stickys though. I would like to see more of that, especially in a "Technical Forum".

If I said anything worse than Ximer, than yeah ban me. If not, leave well enough alone. At least I did not attack "blacks" or call people "****" or make other rediculous posts. Nor did I post photos of half nude women, so if I make a small joke about moderators making stickies about products they sell, where is the harm? This is a public forum, and I am abiding by the rules, NO?

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 06-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"This only matters if you are slipping"

You are ALWAYS slipping thats how tires work. In acceleration the drum and tires will always be at different INSTANTEOUS speeds.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:02 PM

If you're banned, I heard that adding a 17th wire between your hard drive and monitor will help.

Old 06-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I browse these forums with interest and notice patterns. It's one of the reasons that I pick and choose the forums on which I post.

G35driver used to be a pleasure to come to read, but over the past year or so, maybe because of it's success with greater numbers, it's gone downhill somewhat. Many other forums, like Fresh Alloy, get loaded with 'Self-Proclaimed Experts" who criticize anything they don't believe in.

The grounding thing is one that is a case in point. I started as a skeptic, and decided through reading the thread here, to try it to prove it doesn't work. I bought from one of the guys supplying members of the Z community, and was I ever surprised at the changes noticed!

When I posted about this, got bashed! Much like you neffster, and c-fish, and a few others, I think members are reluctant to post REAL information for fear that they'll get bashed. I had terrible experiences with the CAI I installed and was told that it was "impossible to lose power!" and my abilities were called into question. Needless to say, I rarely post anymore on any forum!

What some of you do is a disservice to others with your "expert replies". I notice that you take every opportunity to say the grounding kits are a waste of money in every thread that the term shows up in! Yet you ignore all of the opinions and postive comments made as though yours are the only opinions of any worth! Grow up, and let others decide. There are many more opinions that may be more valid than just your own. Let others post them without fear of flames. Mods, are you listening?

Old 06-26-2004, 02:42 PM

Why fear flames? Ultimately, they are anonymous, painless jabs over the Internet. Flaming may be justified, or not. The folks who read the thread can make up their own minds, and respond as they will.

I suppose one might be naive to think everyone would agree with him all the time. You should be prepared to defend your position, if you care to defend it at all. For example, why respond to a moronic flamer? The moderators can handle the riff-raff for us.

I learn from participating in a debate. I can also learn a lot through observation. I would ask you to participate if you have something constructive to say, so I might learn from you and the others who would join in. D@ mn the flamers. Full speed ahead!

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust

Old 06-26-2004, 08:27 PM
DED

I notice patterns too.

I think it's very interesting that you could feel a loss of power with a CAI and a gain in power with additional grounds.

Neither will make any noticable difference in power.

Changes in ambient conditions will have a greater affect.

SPEIR.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:07 AM

I base my comments on the 20+ people I've met with G35's and 350Z's. About 10 of them have grounding kits and ALL of them (not even one disagreed) that they did not notice ANY CHANGES WHAT SO EVER in performance, shifting, etc...

Unless you have silver or gold grounds you can only ground a car so well (silver is the best but oxidizes or tarnishes, so most people who need "really good" grounds use gold). Keep in mind that I work with some of the brightest Electrical Engineers in the world (big aerospace contractor) and have had conversations about grounding cars, plus I've spoke with people who have grounded their cars and spent their own money. I don't believe that you can ground a car "better" and notice a performance gain (i.e. acceleration improvement, etc...) than what the factory can do.

There have been people who've added a Z-Tube and a Popcharger and posted comments as if they would lead one to believe that they've added a supercharger. I tend to believe it's the same scenario with the grounding kits.

And for the record, (thread jacking a bit here) my initial post was picking fun at one of the moderators who had a "sticky" in a technical forum about a product he sold, not the validity of the product. I feel that's been beat to death enough already.

... and lastly... DED's alien post was one of the funniest I've ever read BTW...
"If you believe in aliens, that's perfectly OK"... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 AM

I haven't seen any flames in this thread yet. If you think these are flames, I don't know what you'd call the name calling, bashing, acting like a 5 year old threads. THOSE are flames.

"I notice that you take every opportunity to say the grounding kits are a waste of money in every thread that the term shows up in!"

I think your "noticing skills" might need some work. I comment on about 1 out of 10 posts about grounding kits. That's assuming I even catch all 10. I skip over most of them. It's about the same ratio I comment on intakes, exhausts, wheels, or whether batman or Mike Ditka would win if Mike was driving an M3.

I make my comments objectively, and based on my own personal observations and knowledge of how things work. I make them when I think there's an opportunity for a newbie to hear the other side of the argument. Much like I wished I had heard a few things when I was a newbie. There are many myths out there and newbies and veterans alike need information to form their own opinions about what works or doesn't work FOR THEM.

If you don't like the information you're hearing, discard it. But until the Your Mama jokes start, I wouldn't go crying flame. People seem to get upset when grounding kits aren't favored by someone. If they work for you, great! Laugh all the way to the track, knowing you have an advantage over your non-grounded competitor. I have the opinion they do nothing for a well grounded car with no corrosion, and I'll continue sharing it sporadically when the opportunity seems like a good one. Cheers.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:12 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...Much like you Neffster, and c-fish, and a few others, I think members are reluctant to post REAL information for fear that they'll get bashed....

...I had terrible experiences with the CAI I installed and was told that it was "impossible to lose power!"

<hr></blockquote>

I suppose you didn't read the Central Florida Dyno Day thread that I put together and posted. It showed a G35C-6MT (2003.5 to be exact) that had an Injen CAI, Greddy Exhaust and a "grounding kit". It gained ZERO HORSEPOWER over the G35C-6MT (2004) stock setup.

For the record, I never said it was impossible to lose power with a CAI, and believe what you said.

Why do I believe you? Because I've been involved in "HANDS ON" experiences with this car/engine. I've witnessed an ATI Procharger, a Vortec Supercharger, and even a Greddy TT setup. I've seen both plenums, heard many different exhausts, seen custom wheels out the ying-yang, heard custom stereo setups, heard/seen 2 types of high flow cats, Installed more Z-Tubes than I care to admit, (even getting ready to install my JIC Y-Pipe) and never once stated that I was a "Self-Proclaimed Expert". I just reported back what I saw (on the dyno), heard and experienced. If you don't like the fact that I KNOW close to a dozen people who have paid for grounding kits on the VQ35DE and they ALL said they "suck" or "don't do squat", etc... then what can I say? Based on the dyno results and opinions of my buddies, I will not endorse or install one PERIOD.

...What some of you do is a disservice to others with your "expert replies". I notice that you take every opportunity to say the grounding kits are a waste of money in every thread that the term shows up in! Yet you ignore all of the opinions and positive comments made as though yours are the only opinions of any worth! Grow up, and let others decide. There are many more opinions that may be more valid than just your own.

<hr></blockquote>

If I grew up any more I'd be your dad and send you to bed w/o any dinner! How can someone's opinion be "better" than someone else’s? EXPERIENCES speak volumes, and it has been the EXPERIENCES of people like Niknala (Alan), a real cool guy I met at the dyno day, SFLG35 (Daniel), Omi (Mike), ZUL8R (Matt), and several other people I can't remember off hand who I base my statements on. All of these people have purchased, installed and "EXPERIENCED" grounding kits and they all have only negative things to say about them. In fact, one person who will remain unnamed, asked me not to post that he had a grounding kit on his G in my dyno day post because he thought it was a "silly mod".

Can you honestly recommend a grounding kit to someone who wants to improve their cars performance over an exhaust, lighter wheels, an intake, a plenum, cats, pulleys, upgraded LSD’s, forced induction, etc… Do you really think grounding wires (I’m now laughing as I type) deserve to be on that list?

How’s this for a closer… “Your mileage may vary though...”

Old 06-27-2004, 10:25 PM
DED

ck,

You haven't replied yet, but I'm sure you're reading..

I've read about 10,000 posts since April 2002.
In none of them have I read anyone claiming they were an expert. (Unless your name ends in tech or gle1).

You've given no REAL information, just subjective. Engineers try not to rely on "opinions and postive comments", that's marketing/sales talk.

If we met, dude, we would get along famously. We have a common interest, the love of our cars!!!!!!! To get pissed at people who are giving (educated) opinions, expert or not, is Silliness Maximus.

loveyameanit.

Dennis

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 AM

You are ALWAYS slipping thats how tires work. In acceleration the drum and tires will always be at different INSTANTEOUS speeds.

<hr></blockquote>

So then you are saying that every drum dyno is producing less than true wheel hp results? I'm not sure about the software algorythms of a dyno machine but I'm sure if this was inherent in every dyno that it would be compensated in the results (since it would be a calculatable fraction of the true power produced).

And what do you mean by that's how tires work? If you are slipping you have lost control literally. This was the reason for antilock braking systems, keep the tires from slipping and you retain directional control as well as a being able to apply more force to slow the vehicle, accomplished by removing sliding from tires over the pavement.

Not trying to flame but you previous reply isn't complete enough for me to understand what you were trying to say... :-)

Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM

Just wondering? Does anyone think it's possible that the Hyperground thread (despite the evil profiteering motive in a private for profit website) existed in sticky form at the top of the thread because it's the site's longest thread and people came in here from a lot of other sites looking for IT specifically? I think there is a lot less management of the stuck threads than you folks give credit for. ...Ooooo the sticky threads - the holy grails of marketing are for the sponsors chosen ones only...oooooo

And has anyone simply asked that this thread be stickied. Despite it's lack of real useful useable info it's a cool read and there is little doubt that if someone thought it important enough it could be permantly stickied. O wait this thread is not about much at all anymore...

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 06-28-2004, 12:20 PM

"I suppose you didn't read the Central Florida Dyno Day thread that I put together and posted. It showed a G35C-6MT (2003.5 to be exact) that had an Injen CAI, Greddy Exhaust and a "grounding kit". It gained ZERO HORSEPOWER over the G35C-6MT (2004) stock setup. "

As one who believes that the grounding kits offer no or little HP, the above while not really proving anything may suggest that Greddy exhasust is bad for power as is the possiblity that the intake is bad for power. Perhaps the grounding kit made up the 1.5 horses that the exhaust depleted. Removing backpressure from the stock system seems to be more of a detriment than anything in the less expensive systems at least.

It's a stretch to compare two different cars with 2 separate setups with ecu maps possibly not even consistent. Hell even on the same car the dyno errors keep you from really knowing if this mod matters.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Technical Question