Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Underdrive advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Underdrive advice...

I know what it does and i know how to install it...but i've been doing alot of research before do. So...I want all with any experience to weigh in on it. Worth it or not? Latest piece of advice Ive heard was

"if i was u i would not put a underdriven pully on your car. there not a good mod at all, leave it stock or get a lightweight pully, underdriven throws the harmonic rotation out of balence and wear ur motor out much faster.... so sell that ****!!!"

Sounds like alot of vocab worrhs thrown together by that guy, but might have some truth.

Please weigh in.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
^^ truth. . .

spend your money elsewhere, you'll just end up damaging your engine. . .

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Depends how you look at it. You can damage your car just about doing anything to it that is not factory, that is why warranty is voided on anything you change to after market. Lot of my friends including myself have installed it, and we never had any problems. This issue is like California Prop 8 within this forum.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
im a mechanic and this is my view, on old school chevy slowpar bowtie kinda cars i wouldnt do it. under drive or light weight. they need some sort of dampening action or it will indeed ruin something internally. on our cars im fairly sure it would be fine since our motors are essentially internallly balanced and the motors on our cars are really well built and designed. and i really dont think companies like stillen would release a product under their name that might damage something or cause future problems. and i dont think that companies like unorthodox would still be in buisness if their prodcut was responsible for destroying motors. im sure there are a few incidences of things happening due to user abuse, or installation errors but i have personally never seen anything bad from these installs and i know lots of people who have them, and i have installed them on my own vehicles without ever having an issue. so i say your pretty safe if you want to buy and install these on the g.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've had UD pulleys on my G for two years. No problemo.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigger35
I know what it does and i know how to install it...but i've been doing alot of research before do. So...I want all with any experience to weigh in on it. Worth it or not? Latest piece of advice Ive heard was

"if i was u i would not put a underdriven pully on your car. there not a good mod at all, leave it stock or get a lightweight pully, underdriven throws the harmonic rotation out of balence and wear ur motor out much faster.... so sell that ****!!!"
Sounds like alot of vocab worrhs thrown together by that guy, but might have some truth.

Please weigh in.
Tell me, how is installing a huge chatter wheel that removes close to 10-15 lbs off the oem unit any safer than a few lbs off an unit that's 3x as small in diameter?