Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

gasoline additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gasoline additives

Does anyone have an opinion on this things? You know the STP or whatever fuel injector cleaning bottles they sell you at the gas station. I used them randomly on my wife's SUV but thats because I put 87 octane gas on that sucker. My G35 only gets 93 octane. Am I throwing away my money if I put them on my G35, based on the fact that I use high octane gas or not???

2004 G35 Coupe/OB/Graphite interior/Premium and aero package/Popcharger/Z tube/Hotchkis sways/Tein H-tech springs/Kinetix plenum/Crawford cats

Old 06-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: gasoline additives

i read in some other post that infiniti flips out about fuel additives..... plus with high octane fuel... i doubt u need it at all

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... <3 aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. From down south, houston tejas

Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on which day and at which refinery the gasoline was made.........Can't go by brands as pretty much all gasoline is fungible except for the tiny bit of marketing [cleaning] additives they splash blend when filling up the tanker truck at the depot.

All brands use the legal limit [minimum] of expensive additives of some test conducted years ago.

Realistically the only easy way to test for injector deposit build up is to do a Consult power balance test and make sure that all cylinders are producing equal power or change spark plugs early and examine them. Use a fiber optic bore scope and look at the piston crowns. Back of intake valves may contain a carbon/additive build up that limits WOT high rpm air flow.........this should be washed away by gasoline when you go enthusiatic high rpm driving MONTHLY.

Normally many dealers use BG 44k [a concentrated cleaning additive] every 15,000 miles as a touch up fix.

Personally [and for last 10 years] I use BG 44k one tank prior to each oil change so that is every 3,750/4,000 miles or 90 days.........same injectors for 266,000 miles on my 1990 Q. But they are the old style single pintle type which were more prone to baked on deposits.

Most of the store bought over the counter detergent cleaners [except extra stregth Techron] are too diluted and weak to do very much.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Redline Fuel Injection cleaner in my GCoupe. One $5 bottle lasts for 100 gallons. It lasts forever. It is a detergent versus a solvent like most cleaners. I've never had any problems with RedLine FI cleaner. I get it at Pep Boys

Old 07-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tonke73:

I agree with you on the Redline products (S1 & S2). They are the ONLY "pour in the tank" fuel injector cleaners approved by BMW, after they extensively tested them all. I've found the high strength Chevron Techron product to have an effect, as well, but the Redline stuff is great - especially noticeable when put in full strength (20 gallons to a bottle) in a high mileage car that hasn't had it's injectors cleaned. After 100-150 miles or so, the idle smooths out, throttle response increases, and the butt dyno says there's more power. Also, I've documented 2-4 MPG increases on such older (my parent's) cars after using the Redline products.

I get my Redline at the source - in Martinez, California. BTW, they also make an excellent synthetic manual trans fluid that really cures any "slow" synchro problems you may be having, as well (not needed in my "G" ... yet).

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!