Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body spacer

Okay, so i have seen this spacer around and i have heard some good things and some bad things about it but i have found no clear answer.

Does this actually make any gains in hp/tq if so how much?

Does this do anything at all or is it just another useless part?

http://spacermonkey.com/products/spacer6.html

Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
The only usefull engine spacers are the plenum spacers. If you get Plenum spacers that is one of the best mods you can do to the G, along with an Mrev2 (lower plenum) There are definitely proven gains from these 2 mods. i have both, and where worth every penny. as far as that throttle body spacer, ive never seen, or heard anything about it, but i would say it is useless, because it is similare to "the tornado" that they sell which goes on the intake. save your money.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, that is exactly like the "Tornado" application, except this one seems to be more securely fastened to the throttle body/intake tube, while there has been stories about the tornado becoming unfastened and being sucked into the the throttle body and jamming it.

Other than looking nice, it doesn't do anything. Waste of money.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
how many ppl in this thread have tried one?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I had one on my G from Dave@Nissan Sport Mag and did notice MPG of about 2.5 miles a gallon. I have been driving the FX to work these days and Drove from Torrance to San Diego one week without the spacer and one week with the spacer. I got about 2mpg difference. 131 miles one way

The only draw back is it kinda makes a whistle sound. I do have the JWT POP with blitz filter so all in all not bad setup.

I like it but then again who am I?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never tried it. Read the reviews, and logically it shouldn't make a difference whether your intake air is spiraled or not.

Here's an excerpt of the description from the site:
Introducing the all new AIRE® TBS by Design Chaos Engineering. With the exceptional aerospace inspired design, the bore includes a taper and helix channel that forces the incoming air to flow much smoother and faster. The taper ID and spiral contour is slightly shape like a bottle neck to increase more air pressure, and better direct the air coming through. Therefore, allowing the incoming air charge to spread through and cool down, while compressing as much air inside as possible.

The bolded part is what I have an issue with, how does spiraling air in that fashion "smooth" it out have anything to do with combustion. Furthermore, how does an open system, such as a Naturally Aspirated intake even allow the inclusion of differential air pressure within the system itself.

Granted, I'm not in engineering, nor do I have the specific knowledge to claim so, however, it just doesn't make logical sense that a piece of metal can "Increase air pressure" by simply forming a bottle neck in an open system (without turbo/super chargers)?

Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Uda880
Never tried it.
Granted, I'm not in engineering, nor do I have the specific knowledge to claim so, however, it just doesn't make logical sense that a piece of metal can "Increase air pressure" by simply forming a bottle neck in an open system (without turbo/super chargers)?
thanks for your honesty... I have already read the portion of your post I cutt out.

Anyone else ever tried it.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 AM
^^^ another thread with lots of opinions - but very few that tried this spacer...

Again - how about some viable response from someone that has used it...

If not - how about you give it a whirl before coming up with unfounded conclusions.

It cracks me up that 80% (or more) members on this forum bought a Z-tube and often an after-market air filter - and a large percentage of them admit that it doesn’t do much for performance (but they like the sound)... however, 99% of the people that dismiss this spacer have never even tried it

I’ve tried mods ranging from $80 - $1500… and for $100 this spacer was one of the better bang for buck.

I have ZERO benefit from stating this – and I have ZERO reason to keep it on my car if I didn’t believe it was beneficial… hell I have 10 times the cost of this mod in parts sitting in my garage… This spacer would be in that pile and not on my car if it didn’t do anything.

All these tbs threads with boatloads of “experts” giving their opinion of something they’ve never had on their car are unfathomable.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't have to try something to analyze some of the claims from the product and see they are a farce. Anyone with an engineering background can see some of those claims are ridiculous. So if their claims of spinning air are unsound, then why should their claims of power gain be believed? Why is it that Tony at Motordyne, who tested them first hand, think they don't do anything? If they are such a great mod, then why don't they make power on all cars?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
i think i mat give it a wirl. would this still work with my MD ISO thermal copper?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep it will.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by RedSkylineGT
I had one on my G from Dave@Nissan Sport Mag and did notice MPG of about 2.5 miles a gallon. I have been driving the FX to work these days and Drove from Torrance to San Diego one week without the spacer and one week with the spacer. I got about 2mpg difference. 131 miles one way

The only draw back is it kinda makes a whistle sound. I do have the JWT POP with blitz filter so all in all not bad setup.

I like it but then again who am I?
well at least here's one warranted post in the thread... thanks for your feedback - I think it helps those considering this mod to hear from people that have used it - and not the key-pad tapping theorists.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
You don't have to try something to analyze some of the claims from the product and see they are a farce. Anyone with an engineering background can see some of those claims are ridiculous. So if their claims of spinning air are unsound, then why should their claims of power gain be believed? Why is it that Tony at Motordyne, who tested them first hand, think they don't do anything? If they are such a great mod, then why don't they make power on all cars?
I'm not backing up the claims in the "ad" - just my personal experience with it... and the "testing" Tony did was with me... I'm all too familiar with this spacer (probably more so than anyone else)... when you have first hand knowledge of what you are speaking of -then I'll pay more attention.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
If they are such a great mod, then why don't they make power on all cars?

All cars don’t have a 60 degree radius bend in the intake tract after the tb.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer