Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

04 G35 Sedan: Engine knocking/clicking problems...help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 G35 Sedan: Engine knocking/clicking problems...help?

my bro bought a sedan with 77k on it in early 07' and he handed it down to me about 8 months ago and its now at 95k

its been clicking from the engine for about a year but no one could seem to help, not even the dealer

they said its something with the moisture in the pistons and when i researched i found it could also be somethin with the oil pressure? I've been putting Lucas fuel injection cleaner for about 6 months but its not helpingg =[

its pretty loud, it makes a clicking sound from about 5 ft away but if you listen closely it makes a knocking sound towards the left side of the engine at the bottom. It clicks constantly and it clicks quicker when the RPM increases. It still runs smoothly and doesnt cause any problems but i want to fix it! so i can get to the mods for my car

help please, thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Stop using regular and start using PREMIUM!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
most likely a bad fuel damper.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
lol yeah i do use reg

are you sure that, thats the problem?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
We need more details. The ticking... is it a ticking or pinging sound? The knocking, is it a quiet knock or a louder clunk sound or even a banging one? This sound often occurs as a result from running the engine without oil or with poor lubrication/low oil pressure. Not sure this is it since words are tough to decipher: but, once this sound is heard there is more to consider, like worn bearings/failed rod bearing, even a broken engine mount will make this sound.

The knocking sound from a failing rod bearing will usually change rather quickly as engine RPM is raised and lowered from idle to just above idle, and in some cases, the knocking sound can be made to disappear completely by RPM changes.

As the failure progresses, however, the sound will get much worse and eventually be very constant. The only cure for failed rod bearings is to remove the engine for a major overhaul.

But, it's a hard diagnosis w/o more info. Take a stehoscope (buy a cheap one) and see if you can isolate the location and give us more info. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
srsly dude, do a compression check

from what u described and all the sounds, honestly i think ur engine is fawked....

Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
The sound you hear is one of your rods that is slightly bent and hitting the oil nippile that lubes the cylinder. Time for a rebuild my friend. I had the same noise some time ago...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man you all automatically assume the worst.

take a long screw driver and use it to listen to things on the engine. touch it to a suspected part and put your ear to it. a makeshift stethoscope.

there is a bulletin on these dampers. they are known to fail on the VQ35..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 AM
it's just a constant ping/ knock at idle and is like synchronized with the RPM, the car runs perfectly fine its just the sound is irritating and worries me. The dealer said same thing as yall like rod bearings and oil pressure and they also said it could be because the previous owner didnt stay updated with oil changes.

but ill start using premium, i havent because gas prices obviously. I'll see if it'll have an impact over some time and ill let yall kno thanks guys!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
I seriously doubt it's octane pinging from your description, and to wait it out some more could result in your engine freezing up. I always assume the worst case scenario and work backwards- you're going in the opposite direction, which could be a costly mistake. A long screwdriver for checking is good-- as is a cheap stethoscope (I use this b/c it's more precise) you can get for <$10.

I'd take it back ASAP or get a 2nd opinion and not drive it much until then. It seems you may have your answer, but that you might not want to face up to it b/c of the cost. It'll be much more expensive if the dealer is right and you wait longer.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Amen sister!!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Its only like 5 dollars extra to fill up for premium man!!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
If the sound your having is like the one on the video, it could be caused by a f#cked up rod. Be like Mike Jones, and make your gasoline always supreme then see if you notice a change.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Well, my G is at 110K now, still pings, but still runs so smooth. :]

i kinda gave up. nothing worked so maybe a year or so hopefully ill have a engine swap.
thanks tho guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 G35 Sedan: Engine knocking/clicking problems...help?