Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Can I install a Rev-Up in my Non-Rev car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I install a Rev-Up in my Non-Rev car?

Let me explain. There is someone local selling a revup for $600 ( which I know I can get for $500 ). I've been wanting to buy another engine to build it and then swap it out with mine and this revup showed up at a good price ( IMO anyways ). My car is not a revup so I'd loose the exhaust cam timing, but does it really matter? Has anyone done it? SHOULD I do it?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
There will more than likely be ECU and/or wiring harness differences. Ask the guys at UPREV if they can help you with the engine management side of things. As far as fit goes, it should go in no problem.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by twin001
There will more than likely be ECU and/or wiring harness differences. Ask the guys at UPREV if they can help you with the engine management side of things. As far as fit goes, it should go in no problem.
I was actually thinking of just disabling the exhaust cam timing adjustment and use my regular ECU and treat the engine like a non revup. Can it be done?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thats really cheap lol is it legit?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
You will have to change out the ECU, the wiring harness, the MAF, the o2 sensors...

Its not really worth it, unfortunately.

And, i believe the REVUP has the exhaust cam timing and the Non-revup does not. I think that was one of the improvements on the rev-up.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
You will have to change out the ECU, the wiring harness, the MAF, the o2 sensors...

Its not really worth it, unfortunately.

And, i believe the REVUP has the exhaust cam timing and the Non-revup does not. I think that was one of the improvements on the rev-up.
You didn't read what I've been saying...lol.

thats really cheap lol is it legit?
lol...it is...but I might just skip it and get an actual non-rev.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I was actually thinking of just disabling the exhaust cam timing adjustment and use my regular ECU and treat the engine like a non revup. Can it be done?
Just how do you plan on "disabling" the exhaust cam timing on the Revup, via the ECU? I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassel, think of the anxiety you would have prior to a long road trip....is your car going to mess up because you hacked wiring/ECU? How would a service tech even begin to diagnose it? I had the hardest time explaining to the Nissan dealership that my 06 Coupe had the 370Z brakes on it. I told them "no, it doesn't come that way but I bought them and put them on myself.....now do you have pads or not". They couldn't get that through their heads and still wanted a VIN number.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The only difference in the two motors is the heads - I believe everything else is exactly the same. It will fit in and should plug in to the existing harness. You obviously won't hook up the exhaust solenoids.

I would take a good look at the motor and take a good look at the connectors on the motor you have now - I do believe you'll have to keep your existing harness as the rev up harness won't plug in to your existing ECU (I don't think). As long as everything plugs right in you shouldn't have any issues.

I would seriously doubt any Nissan mechanic would actually notice the difference between a rev up and non rev up motor - and chances are if you are building it Nissan won't be servicing it anyway!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
The only difference in the two motors is the heads - I believe everything else is exactly the same. It will fit in and should plug in to the existing harness. You obviously won't hook up the exhaust solenoids.

I would take a good look at the motor and take a good look at the connectors on the motor you have now - I do believe you'll have to keep your existing harness as the rev up harness won't plug in to your existing ECU (I don't think). As long as everything plugs right in you shouldn't have any issues.

I would seriously doubt any Nissan mechanic would actually notice the difference between a rev up and non rev up motor - and chances are if you are building it Nissan won't be servicing it anyway!
That's what I thought. Are the heads themselves different or just the front cover to fit the cam mechanism/solenoid?

I work on my own car so cross polination is not a problem...lol.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
That's what I thought. Are the heads themselves different or just the front cover to fit the cam mechanism/solenoid?

I work on my own car so cross polination is not a problem...lol.

The front cover is different. I believe the internals on the heads are different, but that wouldn't affect what you are doing. The heads should bolt right up, I don't see why they wouldn't. Give it a shot, it's only $500 and some downtime to you right?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by twin001
The front cover is different. I believe the internals on the heads are different, but that wouldn't affect what you are doing. The heads should bolt right up, I don't see why they wouldn't. Give it a shot, it's only $500 and some downtime to you right?
I would like to use the engine to build it and then just swap it. I would like to port the heads and intake but if they won't work for me then it might not be worth it for me. Has anyone heard of someone putting a Nonrev front cover and cam setup on a revup head?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i wanted to ask this question just out of curiosity= i personally wanted to put a VQ37HR on my G35 coupe and the G37 Trani as well since the spec's on the G37 & G35 are both the same in frame and chasis ofcourse does anyone know if that's a good idea 2 do and is it very very pricy? and were can iget both Trani and HR engine..?