Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

*SOLVED* Engine Startup Clanking Noise, 2005 G35 Coupe. (With Video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The first start up noise is probably the common noise that the service manager was talking about. But the 2nd start up noise is pretty obvious that it's not normal. I have the first start up noise also and never had issues with oil consumption. My sisters G also has it..

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, i just checked my oil level and it's dead center on the top and bottom mark points of the dip stick. And it was topped off 1K miles back. That's crazy.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Pereira
Went to Infiniti today and they changed my oil. Oil level was real low. It was at the bottom tip of the dip stick. So Infiniti wants me to go back after 1k miles and measure how much oil burned. Then after another 1k, do the same thing. Then one last time and determine the solution from there.....what sucks is that i live an hour and a half away.
This sucks. Why the hell do they need to do it three FN times? They act like our G's don't have a history of burning oil. The engine is crap and they know it.
Making us do the test 3 FN times is just their way of saying, we own ur azz and that maybe this will **** you away and you will go somewhere else.

The dealership aren't making money off of you, so they're going to make your life miserable.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
this is covered under powertrain warranty?
what year/mile is the G powertrain warranty?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol i hear it all the time i just ignore it. from the inside of my car it sounds like the a/c is turning on or off.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess G35s just makes noise when they are cold in the morning..

In the morning when i start mine up there is a low noise that goes " klah klh klh klh klh "for a bout 5 seconds then it goes away completly

Then when I put it on Drive and accelarate before it shifts to 2nd gear it goes "krah..grrrrr" ( sounds just like a Manual Car shifting gears without pressing the clutch down, but not as loud )

-->Took it to the dealer they cant find anything wrong, plus the car never does the noise again..the noise it only at home when its cold in the morning........

Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jlp87
I guess G35s just makes noise when they are cold in the morning..

In the morning when i start mine up there is a low noise that goes " klah klh klh klh klh "for a bout 5 seconds then it goes away completly

Then when I put it on Drive and accelarate before it shifts to 2nd gear it goes "krah..grrrrr" ( sounds just like a Manual Car shifting gears without pressing the clutch down, but not as loud )

-->Took it to the dealer they cant find anything wrong, plus the car never does the noise again..the noise it only at home when its cold in the morning........
Did the dealer take the engine apart like they did with the OP? I mean, starting the car and listening to the noise isn't really a good way to determine if the car is in good shape. Just like the OP said, the dealer accidentally found out about the metal shavings when the decided to replace the spark plug seals.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Did the dealer take the engine apart like they did with the OP? I mean, starting the car and listening to the noise isn't really a good way to determine if the car is in good shape. Just like the OP said, the dealer accidentally found out about the metal shavings when the decided to replace the spark plug seals.
no they didn't take the engine apart...

wow, so I should tell the Dealer to take the engine apart?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what have you guys done other than oil change?

Today i looked around the engine and noticed i had one loose air hose that connects to the bottom of the intake pipe. I've also bought iridium spark plugs and have changed out to new coil packs today. I will post up tomorrow and see how she runs in the morning. This next oil change i will drop the oil pan and get some pics just to help out.

Last edited by usmcgetsome; 03-30-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added more to my post.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
no change in status. I will be pulling off the oil pan the next oil change

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
bkd
Hmm. My 2005 6MT Sedan used to have a funny noise on cold start. I thought it was a heat shield or starter or something that just rattled. I say "used to" because about two weeks ago while driving on the Interstate the engine failed. The dealership says either a rod or main bearing failed. According to them, the crank got hot enough to "fuse" the flywheel and pressure plate bolts such that the clutch was ruined too. The engine had 56,000 miles. I bought it used at 29,000 and I know it was burning oil, but I checked it regularly and kept it topped off. (The ironic thing was that I was headed to the dealership to start an oil consumption test.) The dealer replaced the engine, flywheel and clutch under powertrain warranty and I've only had it back about a week, but I did notice that the new engine doesn't make the startup noise anymore. Other than at startup, I never noticed any noises or problems while driving the car up until a mile or two before it failed. It certainly could be a coincidence or unrelated. I didn't even think that the two things might be related until I read this thread.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
i have this same issue. I To keep my oil topped off. One thing i noticed is, lets say my oil level is about a 1/4 dwn da dipstck. On cold starts, i will hear this rattle. When i add the rest of the oil to the top full level, this noise dissapears. This only happens when i top it off. Later on cold starts it wont do da rattle noise at all, or as loud wen its topped off. So im just deadlocked about da situation. The g on da other hand, runs great topped off or not. 03 6mt sedan wit 76k mi.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jlp87
no they didn't take the engine apart...

wow, so I should tell the Dealer to take the engine apart?

No, just keep driving it til it fails. Then you go to the dealer and yell at them..

Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I have an 06 G35X it does not seem to leak oil but has the noise 1-2 sec on cold start-up but runs perfect, can blow doors off most cars 42K miles don't know WTF is going on always change oil at 3.5 K miles?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I have an 06 G35X has noise at cold stsrt-up runs perfect blows doors off most cars always change oil at 3.5K miles this bothers me looking for fix?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *SOLVED* Engine Startup Clanking Noise, 2005 G35 Coupe. (With Video)