Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil overfill... Fvcking mechanic....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not sure if it's really worth tearing the engine down. If there's no oily crap in your radiator or perhaps in the lower intake manifold, you're probably okay. You could pull the plugs and see if there's oil in there but I don't know related that is. But it's easy and inexpensive to do.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xdEnbOyx
I took a picture of the dipstick and I saved all the oil I drained out. It measured to about 9 quarts of oil. I bought 5 quarts of new oil and put it in (which they'll also be reimbursing me for) and started it up. There's no abnormalities; no smoke, no smells, no engine knocks, no strange sounds. Drove it gently around the block and the engine wasn't sluggish anymore. I don't think there's any damage due to the fact that it was driven for less than 3 minutes for about 1/5 a mile under 30 mph and 3k rpms.
While you may well be ticked off and rightfully so it may well be tough to prove, pictures or no pictures.

I don't think you had any damage based on the distance, load, and rpms stated. I would send them a nice certified letter with a bill for the oil and your time. If they respond then you have a statement that they most likely screwed up and left the original oil in the car and then did not check oil levels. This will give you ammo for the future just in case something did occur that can't be seen now which I doubt. If you play too hard nose right now you may not get anything and frankly the issue is not reimbursement now but for possible future issues.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your engine is fine with that much of a travel. Your good to go.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
^^ yes, I agree you're fine. Just get rid of the crap oil and start new. Move on with a lesson learned...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surprised it started - most cars these days have a "high oil level shutdown" - I would drain all the oil and do the whole oil change over again.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
So what's the moral of this story? Don't let ******** work on your car, and budget the 30 minutes of time necessary to do this job into your busy schedule. It's just like anything else that's important to you, make it a priority and do it right.

Even when it's still 20 degrees outside, i grit my teeth and go outside and still change my own oil.

Stories like this, and personal experiences by friends keep me away from quick-lube places. Only place i'll go if i ever want someone to do my own oil is the dealer.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Even when it's still 20 degrees outside, i grit my teeth and go outside and still change my own oil.

Stories like this, and personal experiences by friends keep me away from quick-lube places. Only place i'll go if i ever want someone to do my own oil is the dealer.

Doesn't get that cold around here but I'll start the car and drive it around before changing the oil. It drains better and the heat of the engine keeps me warm.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Doesn't get that cold around here but I'll start the car and drive it around before changing the oil. It drains better and the heat of the engine keeps me warm.

I actually prefer to do it with a cold engine. Let it sit overnight and then drain it first thing in the AM. That way i get every drop of old oil out.

I do agree...a warm engine does help

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Sieveboy
I'm surprised it started - most cars these days have a "high oil level shutdown"

What cars have that??

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually prefer to do it with a cold engine. Let it sit overnight and then drain it first thing in the AM. That way i get every drop of old oil out.

warm engine up, drain oil, take the 1/2 quart of good oil u have left over from your previous change and dump that through when all the bad oil has come out, this will help get all the extra crap that doesnt really get flushed out, i usually just buy 1 extra quart of DINO oil to do this, then i put the plug back in and fill as normal. I pour the dino oil through and see all the extra gunk that comes out, its gross amazing how much stuff doesnt just drain

Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
warm engine up, drain oil, take the 1/2 quart of good oil u have left over from your previous change and dump that through when all the bad oil has come out, this will help get all the extra crap that doesnt really get flushed out, i usually just buy 1 extra quart of DINO oil to do this, then i put the plug back in and fill as normal. I pour the dino oil through and see all the extra gunk that comes out, its gross amazing how much stuff doesnt just drain

Not a bad idea actually. I should give that a try next change

Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
you mean pour it down the oil fill on top of engine and wait for it to come out the bottom ??

hmmm.. i might try that ..

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Not a bad idea actually. I should give that a try next change
When I was young this neighbor would poor a whole gallon of kerosene after the oil was drained and then he let it sit, then drain and let it sit with the plug open.

While this seems strange I am not so sure there really wasn't something to it since he had a 48 Studie with over 150k on it which at the time anything over about 100k was considered very, very good. Not your typical flush but then................

In my case I would change my oil at least every 1K since it was free. My free oil was what was drained into a bucket inside of the old oil stands at the station I worked at. Unlike others I put the single weight on one side of the stand and the multiweight on the other side. I changed the roll of toilet paper about every 500 miles.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 PM

The issue I would have with that is the possibility of drain back of the entire system including the oil pump pickup which naturally occurs with draining your oil. I would think it may take longer to prime than normal. Draining it when hot would leave you with some oil still left on the moving parts.

Maybe a scheme could be used that is not all that uncommon with industrial equipment. That is you do your fluid change and install a throwaway filter. Run the machine, toss out your cheap filter and install your normal service filter and refill. In this way you change out probably an amount greater than what is left in a hot engine and any fod that was left behind and disturbed due to the oil change will end up in your throwaway filter.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drain it in front of them have them refill it back

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill... Fvcking mechanic....