Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Gears 1-4 shift fine but when I get to 5th it's like I'm in neutral... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
take it to local transmission shop and see what they say.

It does not sounds like dealership was interested in repairing your car rather then replacing half of it (engine and trany)

Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Its weird that 5th gear would be the one to go...I would think it has the least stress going in/out of gear.

I agree with GT-ER that you might have a sticking solenoid.

How hot is the temp outside and does it happen right away or after you've been driving for a while? Hot tranny fluid temps can cause it to not want to engage further. Its the experience I've had on the dyno with manu-matic mode at least.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Its weird that 5th gear would be the one to go...I would think it has the least stress going in/out of gear.

How hot is the temp outside and does it happen right away or after you've been driving for a while? Hot tranny fluid temps can cause it to not want to engage further. Its the experience I've had on the dyno with manu-matic mode at least.
Wonder what a reset of the TCM would do? Maybe the problem is actually external.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry grrrrr

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley

It has been kinda cold outside really. And, it doesn't start slipping until the car is warmed up. That is why the dealership says that they couldn't replicate the problem because they don't have the time to go out and drive a car for an hour.

Of course, I only drove it for 15 mins after I left the dealership and noticed the slipping instantly.

I'm going to the dealership today and I'm going to make the f*cking mechanic get into the car with me and I'm going to show him what I"m talking about.

I'm starting to get a tad bit frustrated. (understatement)

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
This is what someone told me on mygfrenzy:

"you really might want to check on the transmission thing... because if i remember right.. if it slips in 5th there is a recall/TSB for the tranny saying to replace the soleniods first.... and not a whole transmission."

Is this right? Anyone have more information on this?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
UPDATE: Codes P0171 and P1716

Ok so I got my car back from the body shop yesterday. On my way home my car's Service Engine Soon light came on and then the car wouldn't shift into Speed Shift anymore and it was driving like sh*t.

So I went to Advanced Auto and had them pull the codes and the codes came back P0171 and P1716. P0171 says, "System To Lean (Bank 1)" and P1716 says, "Manufact. Contrl. Transmission".

I did some research and found that the "System To Lean" problem could be from an Intake leak. I did just install a Fujita SRI but it should have thrown a code shortly after installation if it was going to right? It was installed for about 2 weeks before the light came on. Anyone have any ideas?

Next, the P1716 I found out means and error with the "Turbine Revolution Sensor". That's at least what the Nissan dealership told me.

I found out that I can get a reman'd transmission installed for $1999. Is this what I should do or is there something else going on here?

Please, all the help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Lightbulb

hey new to this but hopefully i can help somewhat. is yours manual or auto I had a 98 328i bmw manual and that was happening it was a beat up pressure plate in clutch, gradually started slipping into lower gears longer i drove. got a new clutch kit installed and not a problem since the 3 more years i had it till i sold and got my 04 G35X. my buddy with an Evo had same prob and it was his clutch also i hope this helps you or anyone else sry bout your car troubles

Old 10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Pratt
hey new to this but hopefully i can help somewhat. is yours manual or auto I had a 98 328i bmw manual and that was happening it was a beat up pressure plate in clutch, gradually started slipping into lower gears longer i drove. got a new clutch kit installed and not a problem since the 3 more years i had it till i sold and got my 04 G35X. my buddy with an Evo had same prob and it was his clutch also i hope this helps you or anyone else sry bout your car troubles
I drive a 5AT.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:46 PM
aww man that sucks my guess is torque converter possibly syncros. hopefully you dont have to get new tranny

Old 10-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait wait.... What about the possible TSB?

I had an Acura CL-S once upon a time and the tranny on that car is garbage. It can't handle the extra stress from the higher HP engine. My first tranny locked the wheels on the freeway after 30k. Fuuunnn. The 2nd and 3rd rebuild trannies starting slipping, much as you describe yours, but in all gears. The 4th started jerking into gears. I lemon law'd that POS.

Anyways, I guess my point is that every rebuild tranny the dealership put on died after 10k miles, and the originals were lasting 30k. Unless you drive like a grandma and then it will last forever. I'd look high and low and try to find an affordable new tranny. But first I'd research that TSB.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sistom
Ok so I got my car back from the body shop yesterday. On my way home my car's Service Engine Soon light came on and then the car wouldn't shift into Speed Shift anymore and it was driving like sh*t.

So I went to Advanced Auto and had them pull the codes and the codes came back P0171 and P1716. P0171 says, "System To Lean (Bank 1)" and P1716 says, "Manufact. Contrl. Transmission".

I did some research and found that the "System To Lean" problem could be from an Intake leak. I did just install a Fujita SRI but it should have thrown a code shortly after installation if it was going to right? It was installed for about 2 weeks before the light came on. Anyone have any ideas?

Next, the P1716 I found out means and error with the "Turbine Revolution Sensor". That's at least what the Nissan dealership told me.

I found out that I can get a reman'd transmission installed for $1999. Is this what I should do or is there something else going on here?

Please, all the help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
First off is the intake the only modification to the car including electrical. It helps if you mention any modifications even if it doesn't seem to be related it may be as simple as bumping a connector.

I am a little surprised that the P1716 if real has not affected the other gears since that I believe is your torque converter sensor. I forget but did you have a fluid change yet? Is your transmission fluid level normal?

You may want to investigate for the 03s for anything related to your issue:

NHTSA Item Number : 10000971 (also 10000019)

---------------

Have you tried resetting the TCM?

Also reconsider where you mention how you drive your car at speeds well in excess of the posted speed limit. This doesn't help your case. If you mention it to the dealer there is a good chance they will say 'see ya'. If you put it in writting anywhere including here it could be used against you as well.

Last edited by pfarmer; 10-31-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Any updates on this? My car did this a couple of times last year (months apart) and it does it soooo rarely, I haven't really addressed it yet. It's time to do a transmission drain and fill, but I need to secure a dipstick first.

The problem I have though was exactly as the OP described. Like I said though, it only happened a couple of times (Sep and Dec) and as I recall it was raining both times.
I have a CAI as well, and the event seemed to approximately correlate with a P0171 "System too lean" but I never got a P1716

So any more info?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Couple technicians I talked to told me to get a dipstick from a 04-06 tranny (early 03 doesn't have one)...if you don't have one go that route. They apparently are close enough if you keep it between the lines.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Yeah I know. I found that one out!

>Find Transmission spout
>Unbolt 10mm bolt
>Pull out dipstick.... wait.... what the.....
>Search G35Driver to find I don't have a dipstick!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I just had to replace my transmission 4 times, a rear engine seal, two cam sensors and the transmission computer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gears 1-4 shift fine but when I get to 5th it's like I'm in neutral... :(