Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Gears 1-4 shift fine but when I get to 5th it's like I'm in neutral... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears 1-4 shift fine but when I get to 5th it's like I'm in neutral... :(

I drove the car to Jacksonville, FL on Sunday (10/11) which is about an hour drive. My car was perfect, not a single problem.

The next day, I was driving up to Charlotte, NC which is about a 4.5 hour drive and my car starting acting weird. While I was going about 85 the RPMs all of a sudden just revved all the way up and the car wouldn't accelerate. It wasn't slowing down either though. It was like if I barely pressed the gas it would accelerate slowly but if I pushed it at all it would just slip right by and rev up.

So, I started using the speed shifter and found out that it was only the 5th gear that was doing it. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worked like normal. I drove in 4th the rest of the way to Charlotte, NC.

The whole time that I was there I didn't do much fast driving so 5th gear never gave me any problems so I thought *maybe* the problem disappeared. Wrong. One the way home it did the same thing so I had to revert to the speed shifter again.

I say 1-4 worked perfectly but maybe I felt a few small hard shifts but it could of been nothing. Nothing real noticeable at least.

One thing I do need to mention is that one the ride up my debit card wasn't working so we had to pay cash to fill the car up. I've owned the car for about 8 months and have only used Premium Fuel for it but this time we put in Mid-grade gas (89 octane). That shouldn't of caused this right?!?!

Please help.

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Nope, out of warranty. 6 years or 70k miles. Although I only have 66k miles on the car, 6 years ran out on September 18th, 2008. :\

Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had same problem it was bad syncros

Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any mods? i had a high flow cat go out and it did the same thing

Old 10-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sistom

So, I started using the speed shifter and found out that it was only the 5th gear that was doing it. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worked like normal. I drove in 4th the rest of the way to Charlotte, NC.

The whole time that I was there I didn't do much fast driving so 5th gear never gave me any problems so I thought *maybe* the problem disappeared. Wrong. One the way home it did the same thing so I had to revert to the speed shifter again.

I say 1-4 worked perfectly but maybe I felt a few small hard shifts but it could of been nothing. Nothing real noticeable at least.
I would do the fluid change and not sure if this applies but a transmission filter change.

I had something strange happen to me with my 08. According to a tech there is an issue if you are going something like 51 mph and floor it. In my case I was changing a lane when a truck also changed behind me and was travelling a lot faster than I was. I was worried about getting hit and I floored it. What happened next was worst then if it had stayed in high gear. Basically what occurred is nothing more than an increase in RPM with little to no increase in speed. According to the tech there is some sort of logic at 51 mph that allows the transmission to shift down to 2nd gear. It seems like the transmission simply started shifting downward until 2nd gear was reached. Not too happy about this situation.

In your case I would try the fluid and filter change and hope for the best.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by hyperlite21
any mods? i had a high flow cat go out and it did the same thing

Only mod I currently have is a Fujita SRI.

My car has 66,800 miles on it and I just found out that I missed my 60k mile service. I'm going to take it by the local Nissan stealership today and see what they have to tell me. e they have some good news.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you probably have low fluid which caused problems engaging 5th. The big issue now is that you probably burnt 5th so it's rebuild time. You could keep driving in 4th until you get the money to fix it...I've done it on a grand prix and drove without a gear for months...lol.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by GT-ER
you probably have low fluid which caused problems engaging 5th. The big issue now is that you probably burnt 5th so it's rebuild time. You could keep driving in 4th until you get the money to fix it...I've done it on a grand prix and drove without a gear for months...lol.
Awww, don't tell me that. I'm just now getting the money for modding and now I have to rebuild the transmission?!?!?! Bogus.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Took it to a Nissan dealership today. They hooked the computer up to it and said that it wasn't throwing any codes. They also left the computer hooked up while they drove it and said they can't find anything wrong.

They haven't driven it over 75mph yet though. I told them to get it up to about 90-100mph and see what they find out. I can't believe it didn't throw any codes though? wtf?

They just called me and said that they want to check the transmission fluid level but they don't have a dipstick that will fit. They tried to locate one but were unable to.
Any ideas where I can find one? Thanks.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by sistom
Took it to a Nissan dealership today. They hooked the computer up to it and said that it wasn't throwing any codes. They also left the computer hooked up while they drove it and said they can't find anything wrong.

They haven't driven it over 75mph yet though. I told them to get it up to about 90-100mph and see what they find out. I can't believe it didn't throw any codes though? wtf?

They just called me and said that they want to check the transmission fluid level but they don't have a dipstick that will fit. They tried to locate one but were unable to.
Any ideas where I can find one? Thanks.
But it shifts into 5th now? If it does...then PLEASE stop driving the car unless absolutely necessary intil you find out what is wrong. Intermitent clutch application can cause the clutches to burn really badly.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Hmmmm not sure if this is the same issue but I had a problem where I could barely get my shifter into 5th gear and eventually Nissan figured out that my bolt had come loose that connects the shifter under the car to the piece that actually changes the gears and all they did was tighten it and it fixed it right away. Not sure if its the same issue you're having but thought i'd chime in with my story.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I think some people are confused....I believe the OP has a 5at not a 6mt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gears 1-4 shift fine but when I get to 5th it's like I'm in neutral... :(